Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

Headlights wont turn on

Old 08-18-2008, 06:26 PM   #1
BlitzBurgh87
Buchanan, VA
98 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Headlights wont turn on

The headlights refuse to turn on. Also the only way the high beams will work is if i hold the lever in. They wont work unless i hold it. I have replaced the headlight switch and tried multiple things and still nothing. Any help and i would greatly appreciate it.
BlitzBurgh87 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:35 PM   #2
MountaineerGreen
Towing Moderator
North East Arkansas

2012 F150 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Have you checked your headlight relay or fuse under the hood?
MountaineerGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:39 PM   #3
BlitzBurgh87
Buchanan, VA
98 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
this may be a dumb question but where is the headlight relay? i have checked the fuse...the headlights last week were working but i had to fiddle with the high beams for them to switch on...now they refuse to come on.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:42 PM   #4
budwich
Ottawa, Ont
96 XL

Vehicle Specs

there is no headlamp relay unless you have the autolamps option... BUT, there are lots of posts on this.... your MFS switch on your column is bad.
budwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:42 PM   #5
MountaineerGreen
Towing Moderator
North East Arkansas

2012 F150 4x4

Vehicle Specs

I think the relay is on the relay bracket under the intake on the passenger side. I'm pretty sure, I'd consult your owners manual to be sure.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:48 PM   #6
BlitzBurgh87
Buchanan, VA
98 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
what is an mfs switch?
Old 08-18-2008, 06:49 PM   #7
MountaineerGreen
Towing Moderator
North East Arkansas

2012 F150 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Multi function switch- turn signal stalk.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:14 PM   #8
BlitzBurgh87
Buchanan, VA
98 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
alright if its the MFS what do i do to fix it? I just went out and took it off and looked at the little prongs and messed with it and it didnt do anything. the other thing is how does that affect the headlights if i can turn on the parking lights when that thing isnt even connected?
Old 08-18-2008, 09:58 PM   #9
budwich
Ottawa, Ont
96 XL

Vehicle Specs

caaaauuuuuseeeee, your park lamps don't go thru there... :-) they go thru a park lamp relay.... which is obviously working. Some people have had "success" fixing their MFS but most just replace it. YMMV
budwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:21 PM   #10
battmantiss
Ohio
1997 Ford Explorer Ltd

Vehicle Specs

Heh, I'm having this same issue with mine. 1997 Explorer EB Limited with a bunch of extras. It has a dimmer on the rear view mirror, it doesn't turn all the way off. When I slide the switch all the way to the right, it flickers and turns on and off. Almost like it's just constantly on, my lights were flickering in the car wash, lol. But yea, all my lights work but the headlights will not turn on. MFS or something else?
battmantiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:41 AM   #11
mritz
Canton,Ohio
96 EB 5.0 V8 2x4

Vehicle Specs

If you have AUTO Lights option then you probaly have a problem with the LOM small circuit board inside the center consol on the right side it will do all kinds of weird things with the headlights,it is possiable to repair if the board is not too damaged do a search on LOM
mritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:42 PM   #12
battmantiss
Ohio
1997 Ford Explorer Ltd

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mritz View Post
If you have AUTO Lights option then you probaly have a problem with the LOM small circuit board inside the center consol on the right side it will do all kinds of weird things with the headlights,it is possiable to repair if the board is not too damaged do a search on LOM
Yea I actually took the LOM out yesterday and discovered 6 bad solder points. I re-soldered them and all is fine....for now. The headlights seem to not want to turn off unless I move the slider on the rear view mirror all the way to the left. So I guess I"ll be looking into that here soon. This forum and the members and and all the info really makes things so much easier. Thanks explorerforum.com!
Old 05-22-2012, 09:53 AM   #13
bobflood
Elite Explorer
Powder Springs, GA
1997 Eddie Bauer V8 2WD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by battmantiss View Post
Yea I actually took the LOM out yesterday and discovered 6 bad solder points. I re-soldered them and all is fine....for now. The headlights seem to not want to turn off unless I move the slider on the rear view mirror all the way to the left. So I guess I"ll be looking into that here soon. This forum and the members and and all the info really makes things so much easier. Thanks explorerforum.com!
The slider on the rear view mirror controls the lenght of delay the headlights stay on after you turn vehicle off. Are you saying that the headlights never go out unless that is all the way left??

Old 05-22-2012, 03:28 PM   #14
battmantiss
Ohio
1997 Ford Explorer Ltd

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobflood View Post
The slider on the rear view mirror controls the lenght of delay the headlights stay on after you turn vehicle off. Are you saying that the headlights never go out unless that is all the way left??
Actually no, I left them on the other night to see if they would turn off, and they did. Took a minute or 2 but they did shut off. I have the lever all the way to the left (drivers side) but like I said they do turn off after a minute or 2. It seems like when I do move the slider it shuts them off, but it feels like there's a switch that maybe isn't staying off. Is there an actual on / off switch or is that just how they are?

Old 05-23-2012, 11:49 AM   #15
bobflood
Elite Explorer
Powder Springs, GA
1997 Eddie Bauer V8 2WD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by battmantiss View Post
Actually no, I left them on the other night to see if they would turn off, and they did. Took a minute or 2 but they did shut off. I have the lever all the way to the left (drivers side) but like I said they do turn off after a minute or 2. It seems like when I do move the slider it shuts them off, but it feels like there's a switch that maybe isn't staying off. Is there an actual on / off switch or is that just how they are?
On mine, if you move the slide switch all the way to the left side it will turn off the autolights completely. According to the owners manual, there were two versions of autolamp - the other one had an on/off button on the mirror.

You can turn the headlights on/off with the switch on the lower left of the IP, but turning this switch on disables the autolamp feature.

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page