Dash Lights Not Working... fuse or switch? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dash Lights Not Working... fuse or switch?

Blacksheep Josh

Slinky+Escalator=Fun
Reaction score
City, State
Statesboro, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Ford Ranger, RIP 93 X
Well... I've encountered a new problem. My Dash lights aren't working. All the indicators are working, like turn signals and bright light indicator, but the lights that are suppose to light up the dash and the hvac controls aren't working. I'm thinking it has something to do with the switch perhaps.

I'm going out to check fuses, maybe it's that simple.

-Josh

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Headlight switch.:usa:

Which would mean I'd have to take the dash off to replace it I think?

If so that sucks. But I've been meaning to test out a fiberglassing technique I thought of. So a blessing in disguise? Who knows..

I'll keep it updated. If it's the switch I won't be able to replace it for a while.

Just the left side of the dash trim, as I remember...not a huge deal. When I replaced my switch about two years ago, the whole switch was slightly deformed from heat, so you might want to rethink your timing.:usa:

I just went outside and checked the fuses. I had referred to the Haynes manual while in the office, and I read that a 10 amp fuse powers the Dash Illumination. Sure enough, I pulled the fuse and it had blown. Maybe from age or the fact that when I kick the E-brake down when parking I may have hit it a few times. But it's all working now perfectly again.

I replaced it with a 20 amp fuse for now. Just until I get to the store and can get some 10 amps.

I just went outside and checked the fuses. I had referred to the Haynes manual while in the office, and I read that a 10 amp fuse powers the Dash Illumination. Sure enough, I pulled the fuse and it had blown. Maybe from age or the fact that when I kick the E-brake down when parking I may have hit it a few times. But it's all working now perfectly again.

I replaced it with a 20 amp fuse for now. Just until I get to the store and can get some 10 amps.

Hmmmmm. 20 amp fuse in a 10 amp circuit. Do you carry a fire extinguisher in the truck? Remember what I said about my switch being deformed from heat when I removed it? What if your switch is responsible for the blown fuse because of increased resistance due to partial failure? And now you want to feed it 10 more amps?:usa:

like i've said all ready. the 20 amp fuse is in there until i make it to the auto store or walmart to buy a 10 amp fuse. idk why the fuse blew, maybe age, maybe from my foot kicking it on accident, who knows. but i figure if it JUST blew after being 15 years old then it wasn't drawing a full 10 amps. just because there's a 20 amp fuse doesn't mean it's going to draw 20 amps.

it'll be fine, the truck isn't going to go up in flames.

but if it does, and this answers your question, i do carry a fire extinguisher in teh X :D

but if it makes you feel better i'll drive up to the store now with no power going through that fuse to swap it out, lol

Yes, I will definitely sleep better knowing that 20amper is not in there. I still think your switch is bad...whenever you replace it, you will see a dinosaur rheostat on the front of the switch that is responsible for the dash lights.:usa:

you will see a dinosaur rheostat on the front of the switch that is responsible for the dash lights.:usa:

? lol i can't tell if that's a typo or just a word i don't know

:splat: :fire: LOL

same problem??

Hey, I just had all of my dash lights go bad too. checked the manual. for my 96, it described slot #7, a 7.5 amp fuse... replaced it with no effect.
What fuse did you change?
Thanks.
Z.

Honestly man, I'd recommend just check until you find one that's blown. That's what I did. Except mine was a 10 amp.

Hey, I just had all of my dash lights go bad too. checked the manual. for my 96, it described slot #7, a 7.5 amp fuse... replaced it with no effect.
What fuse did you change?
Thanks.
Z.

Headlight switch! :usa:

I'm starting to think more and more my switch has a loose wire on it. I'm not worried about it, cause I can feel what gear I'm in and gauge my speed without needing to see the dash, but it's just annoying. About 1 in 10 times the dash lights won't light up, so I just push/pull the headlight switch until it comes on.

I just don't feel like digging into it right now. I dont' think I'll have the Explorer to much longer.... *tear*

:O why is that??

There's just to much that needs fixing. Almost the entire suspension needs replacing and fixing, the exterior needs painting, the interior project i had going came to a stop, and I just can't find the time or money to fix it. Plus the engine just doesn't feel right, and I'm sure if I had it looked at it'd be another grand to fix.

It's just going to be wiser to either park it, scrap it, or sell it. I'm hoping to get into a truck this next go around though. I love my Explorer, but overall I'm not an SUV kinda guy. I'm more into imports and small trucks, there's just so much more to do with them. Offroading is fun, but I like modifying and tuning and beign the fastest in a group. I feel you can do much more with the Imports and Trucks to "make them your own" and make them represent you. Where as with SUV's, there's only so much you can do.

damn!! get a ricer explorer :p both worlds combined! hahaha jk
I tried the import thing, got tired pretty quick, moved on to SUVs, don't think I'll go back down....
I'll take a pic of the nissan later today

im having this same problem where is the fuse located that works for the dash lights i have looked and didnt see any blown ones mine went out when a hotwire from my radio sparked when it touched something. problem is i already have been pulled over because my tail lights and licence plate light are out as well. if maybe its not a fuse where would i look to see the switch and where would i get a replacement if i need one?.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think i have the same problem, with a twist. The lights are out in the dash gauges, but the HVAC controls still light....any thoughts? I can't believe all the bulbs went out over the summer of storage....

Back