Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

'01 Sport - theft system but no alarm?

Old 08-23-2008, 02:02 AM   #1
john98225
northern Washington state
'01 & '96 Sports

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
'01 Sport - theft system but no alarm?

I just picked up a 2001 Sport which has the OEM "theft" light on the cluster that blinks all the time the ignition is off. Unlike my '96 Sport, I can't make an alarm trigger (successive horn honks) on this one by pushing an interior unlock switch after getting out, pressing a lock button and then shutting the door. It's as though there is no true "alarm" for somone breaking into the rig - just a system that won't allow it to be started without a programmed key.

My questions then ... do all '01 Explorers that have the anti-theft system actually have an alarm (that makes the horn honk)? And if so, how you you get this to work when it doesn't?
john98225 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 08-23-2008, 03:04 AM   #2
jad2411
I'm a jackass!
El Paso, TX

blue 02 xlt & white 02xls

Vehicle Specs

No, it's a dealer installed option, you can get one from code alarm (old stock) and install it, or get a universal type factory keyless add on alarm so you can still use your fob, the lock is connected to the arm, the unlock to the disarm

Welcome to the forum
jad2411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 10:03 PM   #3
john98225
'01 & '96 Sports

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thanks for the info!
Old 08-23-2008, 11:00 PM   #4
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Welcome to this forum!
BrooklynBay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 01:21 AM   #5
Sams01XplrSprt
Southern Cali Explorer
Newport Beach California & Bay Area California

2001 Sport (sold)

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
welcome

Old 08-25-2008, 02:29 PM   #6
gijoecam
Village Idiot
Trenton, MI
98 ExSport, '00 F-150

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by john98225 View Post
My questions then ... do all '01 Explorers that have the anti-theft system actually have an alarm (that makes the horn honk)? And if so, how you you get this to work when it doesn't?
Yes, they do. Lower the driver's side window. Put the key in the ignition, turn it on, then back off. Open the driver's door, exit the vehicle, then hit the lock button on the door. The THEFT light should light steady. Close the door. The THEFT light will remain steady on. When the THEFT light goes out/starts to blink (IIRC, it's 2-3 minutes later) reach through the window and pull the door handle. The horn should start honking. Insert the key and turn the ignition on or hit the remote key fob button to deactivate it.

-Joe

"We need to allow Darwinism take it's course and let the idiots weed themselves out of existance." ~ Rick Horwitz
We must believe in free will we have no choice.
~ Isaac Bashevis Singer
I'm not smart, just a resourceful idiot. ~ Me
gijoecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 11:39 PM   #7
john98225
'01 & '96 Sports

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Sorry, Joe ... it didn't work.

Thanks for the info, Joe. That sequence was what I had tried before and it will not get the horn to honk.

On my '96, the theft light comes on steady (like you described) when you hit a lock button on your way out, but on this '01, it doesn't. The light just slow-blinks, and no alarm is triggered when you reach in and open the door.

I talked to a Ford service department rep today and asked if there was an add-on they could install to make the alarm functional. He said they didn't have one.

Also, the Owner's Manual doesn't say anything about a horn-honking alarm system, it only describes the need for a key with the chip, etc. Evidently this rig just doesn't have the same system as my '96. (Guess I'm looking at having an after-market alarm put on if I want to have one bad enough.)
Old 08-26-2008, 12:06 AM   #8
jad2411
I'm a jackass!
El Paso, TX

blue 02 xlt & white 02xls

Vehicle Specs

Here are some options (can't recomend since I haven't used any, but just to give you an idea):
http://cgi.ebay.com/FACTORY-ADD-ON-C...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FA-1-...spagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Remot...spagenameZWD1V

Starter:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Remot...spagenameZWD1V
jad2411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 05:47 AM   #9
gijoecam
Village Idiot
Trenton, MI
98 ExSport, '00 F-150

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by john98225 View Post
Thanks for the info, Joe. That sequence was what I had tried before and it will not get the horn to honk.

On my '96, the theft light comes on steady (like you described) when you hit a lock button on your way out, but on this '01, it doesn't. The light just slow-blinks, and no alarm is triggered when you reach in and open the door.

I talked to a Ford service department rep today and asked if there was an add-on they could install to make the alarm functional. He said they didn't have one.

Also, the Owner's Manual doesn't say anything about a horn-honking alarm system, it only describes the need for a key with the chip, etc. Evidently this rig just doesn't have the same system as my '96. (Guess I'm looking at having an after-market alarm put on if I want to have one bad enough.)
Lemme see what I can dig up at work later this morning... Doesn't sound right to me... But I know the '01 -'02 Sports were kinda funky things...

What's the build date? (It's on the door sticker)

-Joe

"We need to allow Darwinism take it's course and let the idiots weed themselves out of existance." ~ Rick Horwitz
~ Isaac Bashevis Singer
Old 08-26-2008, 10:25 AM   #10
john98225
'01 & '96 Sports

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Build date ...

Joe - the date is 04/00

Thanks again for your help!
Old 08-26-2008, 12:58 PM   #11
gijoecam
Village Idiot
Trenton, MI
98 ExSport, '00 F-150

Vehicle Specs

Interesting... it does, in fact, appear that the stealership got one right (for once!!). The '01 Sport makes no mention of the 'alarm' feature in either the owner's manual or the service manuals. It appears they deleted that feature somewhere between '98 and '02 (My 98 has it).

Can't be much more help with it... sorry.

-Joe

~ Isaac Bashevis Singer
Old 08-26-2008, 08:42 PM   #12
john98225
'01 & '96 Sports

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thanks anyway, I really appreciate this forum already.

Actually, I have another problem with the unlocking of the tailgate. I'll search for prior threads and if I can't find an answer, I'll start a new one.

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page