Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1991 - 1994 Explorer Ranger Navajo 1st Generation > Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers For questions related to the base Ford Explorer. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. No modification questions.

1994 Ranger shifting late into 2nd gear

Old 08-27-2008, 02:29 AM   #1
mikmic2
Wisconsin
1999 Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
1994 Ranger shifting late into 2nd gear

I have a 1994 Ranger 2WD with a 4.0 liter engine, and an automatic transmission. Just recently one day it started shifting real late into 2nd gear, and the tranmission fluid level shows it to be way over full.

Is this a governor issue? What is the cause of the transmission fluid level being way over full?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I know how to get the governor out, if it's in the extension housing on the transmission. When I get it out, what am I looking for? Should I just clean it and put it back together?

Why does our local transmission shop say not to change the fluid on a transmission that hasn't had regular fluid changes. They say you will more then likely cause a problem if you do so.
mikmic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:43 PM   #2
ilh
richmond, bc
'02 ST

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikmic2 View Post
Is this a governor issue? What is the cause of the transmission fluid level being way over full?
The only thing that causes the truck to have too much fluid is someone physically putting too much fluid in. Are you reading the dipstick when it's hot and in park? If so, how much mileage is on the fluid? maybe it's time to change it anyways. do the governor, the fluid and the filter all at once and hopefully your problems are fixed. (i dont know much about the governor myself.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikmic2 View Post
Why does our local transmission shop say not to change the fluid on a transmission that hasn't had regular fluid changes. They say you will more then likely cause a problem if you do so.
the only reason i can think of is because they'd rather make money on transmission overhauls then transmission flushes... 90% of trannies that havent had regular fluid changes are abused already so they probably want you to finish the job early.
ilh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 05:03 PM   #3
zkt

Vehicle Specs

I`m not an expert on Ford transmissions and dont even know what which one is in your truck. But I did just recently rebuild an AW4 Jeep 4 speed automatic. Its problem was a delayed 1 to 2 shift when cold and shifted normally when up to operating temp. The problem was simply a dirty 1-2 shift valve in the throttle body. If you have the intelligence not to vote for McCain, some mechanical experience and the ATSG service book for your transmission you can probably fix it yourself.
The detergents in tranny fluid that help prevent sludge, crud, and varnish buildup could loosen the stuff that is already there and cause a shaft valve to stick.

Last edited by zkt; 08-30-2008 at 05:20 PM.
zkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 04:06 PM   #4
mikmic2
Wisconsin
1999 Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thanks guys, I finally found the problem. The little rubber hose between the modulator, and the steel line that went up to the intake, had fallen off. It was hard to see, between the heatshield, and transmission, but I put a new hose from the steel line to the modulator, and all is well.

Hey ZKT, this is an automotive forum, not a place to push your political positions.
mikmic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 07:17 PM   #5
zkt

Vehicle Specs

Good to know it wasn`t the shift valve.
The Devil took holt of me and made me type those things.
He makes me do it every chance I get. <hint>
I think it was cause I watched The Exorcist the other night.
zkt is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page