Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

6 time flashing 4WD lights

Old 08-27-2008, 04:06 PM   #1
GearheadJLM
Awaiting Confirmation
Medina Ohio

98 Ford Ranger

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
US 6 time flashing 4WD lights.......FIXED!!!! and HOW!

Alright, I know this has been brought up before, but I needed some clarification. First I have a 1997 Explorer 4 door XLT. Has around 120k on the SOHC 4.0L. Well I want to know the most likely cause of the 4WD not disengaging and the 4WD lights flashing 6 times every two minutes. I heard that it is most likely a sensor or motor on the transfer case, but I also heard that somebody who was having other electrical problems (window switches and locks) found a bad relay to be at fault. I am stationed at Camp Lejeune NC, and am flying out to Missouri (where the Explorer is) and then will be driving the explorer back to North Carolina this weekend. I wanted to attempt to fix this problem before I drive it 1000 miles cross the country. What should the first thing I look at be?

Thank you,

Joe

Last edited by GearheadJLM; 11-01-2008 at 11:06 PM.
GearheadJLM is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:30 PM   #2
saewoody
CT
1997 XLT

Vehicle Specs

I have the flashing lights because I disconnected the wiring harness that goes to the transfer case because I don't want the 4WD engaging. Does anyone know if GearheadJLM disconnects the wiring harness whether or not the 4WD would disengage. He could then at least drive it in 2WD to get it to NC. I don't think it is going to snow too soon down there.
saewoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:55 PM   #3
IZwack
Moderator Emeritus
Germantown, MD

1998 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yeah just disconnect the transfer case connector and you wont have any problems with the transfer case (just ignore the blinking lights, could use electrical tape as a temporary 'fix' over the lights ).

Old 08-27-2008, 09:52 PM   #4
gmanpaint
Torsion Bar Free
since 2010

94 XLT-95 FX4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Take it to the dealer and let them hook it up to the diagnostic computer. It may be something simple, and they can fix it while your there, or they can tell you whats wrong with it, and if it is safe to drive it at high speeds for 16 hrs, you can repair it when you get to NC. At least you wont be worrying the whole trip!

The Black Hole

Pugly
gmanpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 05:10 PM   #5
GearheadJLM
Awaiting Confirmation
Medina Ohio

98 Ford Ranger

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thanks for the replies. I disconnected the harness and the 4wd disengaged. Made it back no problem. I still haven't had time to try and figure out what was wrong with it, I guess I'll try a dealership or a couple tranny shops, seems to be a common problem, Im sure somebody knows soemthing
Old 10-04-2008, 09:52 AM   #6
Cobraguy
Elite Explorer
Phoenix...Greatest City on Earth

1995 EB & 1999 EB 5.0

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZwack View Post
Yeah just disconnect the transfer case connector and you wont have any problems with the transfer case (just ignore the blinking lights, could use electrical tape as a temporary 'fix' over the lights ).
Makes you wonder sometimes, eh IZ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by four0sport
she is a girl, there are no answers, only more questions!
Cobraguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:24 PM   #7
4x4firefighter
Oneonta, NY
99 Eddie Limited

Vehicle Specs

depending on ur year u migh be able to do a brown wire mod?. thay might fix the problem no?

http://www.myspace.com/axn6254_4x4firefighter
4x4firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 07:25 PM   #8
jrpackman
Kill Devil Hills , North Carolina
'98 XLT

Vehicle Specs

it might be because the four wheel drive switch has fallen out and all you need to do is take the radio/air vent thing out and see if it is connected, that happened to me once
jrpackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:01 PM   #9
bichon
alberta
97xl

Vehicle Specs

Flashing 4x4 lights

I had EXACTLY the same situation with my 97 XL, 4.0L OHV, 112,000 KM (67,000 miles). I took out the 4x4 shift motor and it was OK. Just cleaned it up a bit and put it back in. Cleaned the two speed sensors at the same time. Still the same flashing lights, especially when the headlights were turned on!. Next I changed the TOD relay. Still the same flashing lights. Then I did the Brown Wire Mod and the problem went away with the 4x4 disengaged. About the only thing left that was a common denominator for the flashing 4x4 lights was the computer. I switched it out and the problem is gone. I was fortunate that I was able to get components cheap from a local wrecking yard. A local Ford dealer wanted around $100 just to do the diagnostics, but all my parts cost much less and my curious nature was satisfied. (I paid $4 for the TOD relay and $6 for the computer "relay"). I kept the Brown Wire Mod switch and usually go with 2 wheel drive as I like to be able to decide when I want 4x4.

So here is my advice in order of my priority and potential cost, assuming your console 4X4 SWITCH WORKS WHEN SELECTED - 1. Do the Brown Wire Mod, it's cheap and effective. 2. change the TOD relay, easy to change and cost not too bad and 3. change the computer, but it can be very expensive if new.
But the most important thing you do is to keep coming to this site! This is where I have learned what I need to know about my Explorer.
bichon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:18 AM   #10
gijoecam
Village Idiot
Trenton, MI
98 ExSport, '00 F-150

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
The BWM won't fix the underlying problem. The lights are blinking because the system has detected a fault. Without knowing exactly what that fault code is, the cause is a guessing game at best. As mentioned, a dealer's NGS or WDS scanner will be the best source for the exact cause of the problem.

That being said, the rear axle speed sensor tends to fix the problem about half the time. It's a cheap part (usually less than $20) and easy to replace... can't hurt to try it.

-Joe

"We need to allow Darwinism take it's course and let the idiots weed themselves out of existance." ~ Rick Horwitz
We must believe in free will we have no choice.
~ Isaac Bashevis Singer
I'm not smart, just a resourceful idiot. ~ Me
gijoecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:19 AM   #11
GearheadJLM
Awaiting Confirmation
Medina Ohio

98 Ford Ranger

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thanks for the replies!

I bought a 2004 Ranger yesterday, I had them through in a diagnostics on my explorer 4x4 system as part of the deal. Hopefully it'll be something simple like the speed sensor. I will keep you guys posted on my findings.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:05 AM   #12
GearheadJLM
Awaiting Confirmation
Medina Ohio

98 Ford Ranger

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Well, the results are the front AND rear driveshaft position sensors. So I am going to try to replace them and see what happens
Old 10-18-2008, 01:12 PM   #13
GearheadJLM
Awaiting Confirmation
Medina Ohio

98 Ford Ranger

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Okay, so finding these senors at a reasonable price is going to be difficult. Here are my Exact codes that ford gave me. B1836 and a B1837, These are for Tcase front and rear speed sensor circuit failure. Now, I need a part number.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:18 PM   #14
bladow03
Hickory,NC
96 XLT

Vehicle Specs

I had the same problem and got the dealer to fix it!

All they did is replace the main battery fuse. I ended up paying almost $600 to the ford dealership just so they could spend 10 min. finding a fuse. I would look it up online if you havent fixed it yet. Try expertvillage.com, they have a video that explains it in more detail.
bladow03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:17 PM   #15
GearheadJLM
Awaiting Confirmation
Medina Ohio

98 Ford Ranger

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Fixed!!!

Okay so I found the parts on rockauto.com. I took pictures on the exact part numbers. I took the old sensors out, removed shift motor (you can see they the 4WDH is engaged), cut the brown wire, replaced the sensors in the connector, reconnected the "brown wire", put everything back together. First thing I did was start it and put it in 4wdh, then 4wd low, then back to AUTO. Then took it for a ride around the block. I no longer had any binding issues, and the lights did not come on, at least for the ride around the block. So I took it to the muddy back yard to get it stuck. When I could no longer move, I poked my head out and seen the front tires turning (this is with selector lever in AUTO) No 4x4 Auto indicator light came on (I'm not sure if it is supposed to). So, I backed it up, pulled it back onto the road to see if there was any binding. None. Awesome, problem solved.

Last edited by GearheadJLM; 10-28-2008 at 07:33 PM.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:47 PM   #16
dwools
Endicott, NY
1997 explorer xlt awd

Vehicle Specs

VERY helpful info from all. I thank you. I have a 97 explorer xlt awd and have the 6 flashes every 2 minutes. Didn't think I would ever find out what it is. Thanks again from upstate NY
dwools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:56 PM   #17
ixiswaggerixi
OKC, OK

'00 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mine received this problem while i was changing out the gauge cluster bulbs. do you know what could have caused this?

EDIT: Never-mind, blew fuse 26

2000 XLT- HID low beams, after-market fogs in grille, pioneer head unit, Kicker L5's, all interior lights green LED, LED gauge cluster, WAR-153 shackles, TT, Rancho RS5000 (I had 140K and stock shocks, what a difference), Removed running boards and bed lined, removed roof rack cross beams and bed lined the tracks, PA 883 3 in BL.
Soon: HID in stock fog housing, 32s.
OKC, OK

Last edited by ixiswaggerixi; 05-26-2010 at 05:31 PM.
ixiswaggerixi is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page