Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, & Differentials

Notices

Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, & Differentials Transmissions, Transfer Cases. A4LD, 4R70W, 4R44E, 4R55E, 5R44E, 5R55E, M5OD, BW 1354, Control Trac, GEM, AWD. Ford 8.8", Dana 35

5R55E w/P0741 code, TCC solenoid?

Old 08-28-2008, 02:08 PM   #1
fgump
Apex, NC
'00 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
5R55E w/P0741 code, TCC solenoid?

Hello all.
2000 XLT, 4.0 SOHC w/5R55E

I did the EPC solenoid replacement about 13k miles ago (88k), and have recently been getting the O/D light flashing. Took it to Cottman yesterday to get the codes pulled, and all that came up was P0741. Of course they wanted to pull the transmission out right there on the spot.

It is very intermittent, but frequency is increasing. Shutoff the vehicle, and the O/D returns to normal. I've checked that the TC is locking and unlocking (lockup at about 40mph), and is unlocking with application of brake pedal at cruising speed. When the code is thrown, transmission shifts as normal, just no O/D.

After reading all I could get my eyes on, I'm thinking of going in there again, changing just the TCC solenoid, filter, and fluid, and buttoning it back up. Am I stupid for only going that deep? Not even planning on pulling the VB back down, or replacing the gaskets there.

Transmission is not leaking, fluid hasn't moved since I filled it up last January.

I welcome your suggestions...

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:26 PM   #2
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
http://explorerforum.com/forums/show...43&postcount=4
BrooklynBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:21 PM   #3
snatityson
Sandgerdi
Explorer 98 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Hi
I have the same error code on my explorer..
What did you do..... and how did the tranny work after????
Best regards
snatityson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:32 PM   #4
TexasnativeDRJH
Texas
2000 XLT 4Door

Vehicle Specs

I would like to know myself also
TexasnativeDRJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:30 AM   #5
Robman
Ontario
'00 Sport 4.0L OHV 5spd

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I had the exact same problem ... recently the ex shifted into second and then failed to move in any gear . Fluid now looks grey and had recently pulled the P0741 code. Im thinking my solenoids are shot aswell as my torque converter. 98' 4.0L SOHC 5r55E AWD 4 door XLT.

Last edited by Robman; 03-03-2011 at 06:31 AM. Reason: more info
Robman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:04 PM   #6
TexasnativeDRJH
Texas
2000 XLT 4Door

Vehicle Specs

That sucks. I bought the TCC solenoid but haven't installed it yet. I googled the part number and found that it could also be the seal on the torque converter but I hope that is not the case. After I install the solenoid and valve body gaskets I will advise wether it fixed it or not.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:10 PM   #7
drdoom
VA
1997 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4WD

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasnativeDRJH View Post
That sucks. I bought the TCC solenoid but haven't installed it yet. I googled the part number and found that it could also be the seal on the torque converter but I hope that is not the case. After I install the solenoid and valve body gaskets I will advise wether it fixed it or not.
Did that fix your transmission? I have code P0741 also.
drdoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:50 AM   #8
TexasnativeDRJH
Texas
2000 XLT 4Door

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdoom View Post
Did that fix your transmission? I have code P0741 also.
Im waiting for my father in law to have a lift available at his shop to do the work, ie someone calls in sick. Ill post my results for sure.

After buying the TCC solenoid, I googled the part number and found info that it could be the seal on the torque converter causing pressure droppage. I hope that's not my issue but mine has 155K on it but otherwise seems to run perfect aside from crappy gas mileage.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:13 PM   #9
TexasnativeDRJH
Texas
2000 XLT 4Door

Vehicle Specs

I did the repairs but now have no forward or reverse. Trying to get as much info as possible to try again tomorrow.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:02 PM   #10
tlestan
Wisconsin
'99 Mercury Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Tcc p0741

Has anyone successfuly resolved this issue? I have it on my 99 Mountaineer with 252k miles. Only thing wrong, so I'd like to fix before winter. My fluid looks nice and red, but it slips (2300RPM at 60MPH, then starts flashing the OD light. What's the best way to drop the pan. Do I have to drop the cat or is there another way?
tlestan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:29 PM   #11
TexasnativeDRJH
Texas
2000 XLT 4Door

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlestan View Post
Has anyone successfuly resolved this issue? I have it on my 99 Mountaineer with 252k miles. Only thing wrong, so I'd like to fix before winter. My fluid looks nice and red, but it slips (2300RPM at 60MPH, then starts flashing the OD light. What's the best way to drop the pan. Do I have to drop the cat or is there another way?
Mine is still messed up but drivable. You can drop the pan without taking off the cat, but its easier on a lift. Just slide off the heat shield first. Also do yourself a favor and wrap your catalytic converter with aluminum foil first. Good luck
Old 11-09-2011, 02:30 PM   #12
drdoom
VA
1997 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4WD

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Drop the front drive-shaft if you have one, the pan will come right out.
EDIT: tlestan, I resolved my P0741 code, but I had let it go for a while, so by that time my torque converter was trashed. It may have a been a simple fix at first, like a TCC solenoid, but by then my fluid was dark and there was contamination in the coolers & transmission. The torque converter had gone bad, but as to whether the failure of the torque converter was caused by a solenoid or valve body related hydraulic problem, I really do not know. So I had to overhaul the transmission and replace the torque converter.

Last edited by drdoom; 11-10-2011 at 09:35 AM.
drdoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:20 PM   #13
gotDIRT??
NH
02 XLT V8

Vehicle Specs

I have the same failure code and symptoms everything works though no OD gear.....

Am i looking at a complete overhaul? If that's the case i have to reevaluate if i want to keep it all together....
gotDIRT?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:31 PM   #14
drbenz
High Point, NC
2000 EB 5.0

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
There are several potential problems in the valve body that could cause the shift issue but as drdoom pointed out if you continue to drive it the trans could wind up toasted. There is a long post on rebuilding the valve body and what solutions have worked for some but the only way to find out if it will work on yours is to try some basic or advanced repairs. Keep in mind that a reman valve body is available with all the repairs already done on an exchange basis (you swap the valve bodies and send your old one back) for a reasonable price. So many people have had sucess it could be worth a try, your call.
drbenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:42 AM   #15
Robman
Ontario
'00 Sport 4.0L OHV 5spd

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I decided to take matters into my own hands and tried replacing the valve body gasket aswell as filling with FULL synthetic fluid. ( not mercon V which is a semi ). First I had to repair a rotten transmission filler neck( c'mon, right?) The ex was now driveable with the only exception being that it would slip after
80 km/h trying to go into o/d and then the light would flash... this made the vehicle AWEFUL on fuel. It worked ok for awhile ( 3 weeks ) but now has failed. It will engage in gear but needs to be revved high to feel like it will move the vehicle at all, also there is a terrible whine coming from the t/c or tranny now and my nice expensive fluid is burned.. again. I have parked this explorer and have been driving my " Explorer #2" , lol as I do not have the funds for a new tranny/TC at this time. Like the other stories, it could have likely been a small fix ( solenoid ) in the beginning .. but now it's junk.

as a side note, I had done a "transmission transfusion" with the FULL synthetic tranny fluid + new filter with the " Explorer #2" and it seemed to extend the life and operation of the tranny (stopped flashing o/d light) and is working well to this day.
Robman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:56 PM   #16
rmontero9
caracas venezuela
98 xlt

Vehicle Specs

tengo el mismo problema p0741 help
rmontero9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends: