Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Under the Hood > Explorer, Ranger - Computers, Chips, Tuning

Notices

Explorer, Ranger - Computers, Chips, Tuning Programmers, chips, modules, dyno tuning for the Ford Explorer, Ranger, Mercury Mountaineer, Bronco II and Mazda Navajo.

Catalyst I/M Monitor not in "Ready"

Old 09-04-2008, 04:22 PM   #1
duke16
Raleigh, NC
1997 5.0L AWD XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Catalyst I/M Monitor not in "Ready"

What could cause the catalyst I/M monitor not to "ready", yet not cause a CEL or MIL? I hooked a scanner up to my Explorer and the only issue was the catalyst I/M monitor staying in a "not ready" state. No codes and all other monitors were fine.

The truck has sluggish acceleration, and seems to loose steam going up hills and so forth. The idle has also gotten rougher. I was getting a "popping" noise from around the exhaust at one point, which I assume was a backfire, but that has now gone away. I've tried removing the rear cats but that didn't change anything. I've also swapped out the coil packs and MAF for a day with known good ones. And I checked the fuel pressure which was low, but still within the recommended range.

Mac Performance Intake | Engine Rebuilt | Warrior Shackles/TT Lift | Flo Pro Muffler (FP736)
duke16 is online now   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 09-06-2008, 01:42 PM   #2
duke16
Raleigh, NC
1997 5.0L AWD XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Would this thread be better in another sub-forum perhaps?

Mac Performance Intake | Engine Rebuilt | Warrior Shackles/TT Lift | Flo Pro Muffler (FP736)
Old 09-26-2008, 10:59 AM   #3
Cobraguy
Elite Explorer
Phoenix...Greatest City on Earth

1995 EB & 1999 EB 5.0

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
That should be a P1000 code and is NOT a trouble code. It's an information code and will never set a CEL on it's own. First, a little lesson in PCM 101. On OBDII vehicles, certain tests need to be done by the PCM to see if the vehicle is emissions compliant. To complete this task, the vehicle must go through what is called a drive cycle. This is a very complicated set of parameters that must occur. The last time I went through this, it took 3 weeks for the cycle to complete. You can also find drive cycle instructions and try to complete it yourself on a test drive, but that doesn't always work. So until all parameters have been met so the PCM can check everything it needs, you will get this code. The only harmful thing this code will cause by itself is you will not be able to pass emissions checks with it present.

So what causes it? Setting certain other codes can force another drive cycle. For sure disconnecting the battery will force another cycle. I don't know if we know for sure all the circumstances that can force the cycle. But I would say it's safe to say that as long as you are having other problems, it will never pass the tests it needs to in order to shut off the P1000 code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by four0sport
she is a girl, there are no answers, only more questions!
Cobraguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:27 PM   #4
duke16
Raleigh, NC
1997 5.0L AWD XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
So my Catalyst I/M Monitor has never gone to "Ready", despite me going through numerous drive cycles. I'm wondering if something didn't get hooked up correctly after I last had the engine out. Any suggestions? It's not a huge issue, in NC I can have 2 monitors in "not ready" state, but I'm worried I could be missing important CELs if the monitor isn't working.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:45 PM   #5
ranger7ltr
Elite Explorer
Great State of Texas
1999 Sport

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Please define your drive cycle...

If the correct process is not run, the drive cycle will not trigger the readyness flag...I seem to remember the drive cycle for Ford somewhere on here...

2014 Jeep Compass Limited [Company Vehicle]
2003 Ford F-150 XLT Supercab
1999 Ford Explorer Sport [new playtoy]
1983 Ford Ranger V8 [soon to be gone]
ranger7ltr is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page