• Register Today It's free!

overdrive solenoid

grimace33

Reaction score
City, State
Green Bay, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer
I was told that replacing the overdrive solenoid would help fix my transmission issues but not sure where to find it. Does anyone know where I can purchase one? Is it called something else?
Any help would be great.

Josh

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what size engine do you have? 6 cyl or 8?

I have a 1999 Explorer Sport with the 4.0L V6. Glacier i have read your diary on the value body rebuild and now am just looking for that solenoid. My brother thinks that should replace it.. or that's what he's read in the forums.
Your thoughts???
Thanks

What are your issues? There are 4 shift solenoids in the 5R55E (as compared to 2 in the A4LD.) An issue description will be helpful.

Mostly the flare issue....it started when I took it for a test drive after replacing the rear brakes. I pulled up to the curb to put it in reverse and back into the driveway and it wouldn't do anything right away...just rev then it would continue into the gear. I tried it with overdrive then...same thing. The only gears the worked operational were to manually shift into 2 or 1. My brother suggested from reading on the forum to do a test by gearing down from 2 to 1 manually and if gears down it maybe something else. We have both looked into the value body diaries and I have purchased the following parts: EPC, Transgo Shift Kit, VLV ASY-TRANS THROT, PLATE TRANS SOLENOID. Now I am looking to purchase a overdrive solenoid, if you suggest that I should go that route as well. I hoping to get this complete this weekend and just not sure where to find the last part.

I'd wait til you have the the chance to test each solenoid before you buy anything. You will just need a "shift solenoid"... BB has given you a link to where those can be had.

Back