Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2002 - 2005 Explorer Mountaineer 3rd Generation > Modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers

Notices

Modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers Questions related to modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers and Mountaineers. For Sport Trac and Sport models use the 1995-2001 forum. Aftermarket accessories and modifications. Bullbar, running boards, floor mats, cargo mat, DVD headrest, wheels, tires, stereo upgrade, headlights, mud flaps, lift kits, engine swap, transmission swap.

natural gas conversion

Old 09-11-2008, 11:25 AM   #1
philip 1415
St Pete beach Florida
2005xlt

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
UK natural gas conversion

Hi , i am a new member and am looking for info on anyone that has converted there explorer to natural gas , is there a conversion kit out there , thanks phil
philip 1415 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

Join the Elite Explorers for only $20 a year. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:59 PM   #2
jad2411
I'm a jackass!
El Paso, TX

blue 02 xlt & white 02xls

Vehicle Specs

Wouldn't it be LPG instead of natural gas?
You can look online for a kit, the best ones I've seen come from Australia, there are also some nice ones in Philippines...

jad2411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:25 PM   #3
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Welcome to this forum! Check the UK section, and the hybrid section for some ideas.
BrooklynBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:11 PM   #4
Sams01XplrSprt
Southern Cali Explorer
Newport Beach California & Bay Area California

2001 Sport (sold)

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
welcome aboard

Old 09-12-2008, 06:32 AM   #5
mawrazen
Atlanta, Ga
94 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It would be CNG no LPG.

Sometimes I'm here, but mostly I'm gone.
mawrazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 05:52 AM   #6
jad2411
I'm a jackass!
El Paso, TX

blue 02 xlt & white 02xls

Vehicle Specs

Never seen it :S Mexico, Philippines and Australia use LPG for cars, what would be the difference?

jad2411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:58 AM   #7
thatchmo
Gainesville FL
'96 Sport

Vehicle Specs

T Boone Pickens uses natular gas and Honda has a NG hybrid and the one line website mentions a home refuelling device that refills the tank overnight. Because the NG residential pressure is only about 2 lbs psi so it has to be pumped in to fill the tank
thatchmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:11 AM   #8
98formulaLS1
Virginia Beach, VA
00 XLS

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
in the US, a lot of the busses are CNG. I worked with them for many years. I've never looked into a kit for cars, but I'm sure it must be out there. You would have to check with your local NG provider to see how you can obtain COMPRESSED NG.

98formulaLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:45 AM   #9
Cobraguy
Elite Explorer
Phoenix...Greatest City on Earth

1995 EB & 1999 EB 5.0

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I haven't seen that in a while! It became a big deal on the first oil crunch. You could get a CNG vehicle straight from the factory...I wonder if you could go that route? Find a vehicle in a salvage yard?

Propane isn't a bad idea either. But you really need to build a new motor for the best benefit. Build something around 12:1 compression. Propane has a very good octane rating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by four0sport
she is a girl, there are no answers, only more questions!
Cobraguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:46 PM   #10
Chris Saunders
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
'97 UN Explorer Auto XLT

Vehicle Specs

AU

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2411 View Post
Never seen it :S Mexico, Philippines and Australia use LPG for cars, what would be the difference?
Mate,

I asked here in Australia, whether my '97 Explorer could be converted and the mechanic said, quite bluntly, that the Explorers have a plastic intake manifold which prevents the LPG conversion.

The way I see it, if you could maybe replace the manifold with a molded alloy one then it could go ahead...?

To be honest, I really have no idea how the gas conversion is fitted or works - I am just relaying what the mechanic told me.

Good luck.
Chris Saunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:35 AM   #11
JCUZ
Elite Explorer
Canberra, Australia

2004 Explorer Limited V8

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Saunders View Post
Mate,

I asked here in Australia, whether my '97 Explorer could be converted and the mechanic said, quite bluntly, that the Explorers have a plastic intake manifold which prevents the LPG conversion.

The way I see it, if you could maybe replace the manifold with a molded alloy one then it could go ahead...?

To be honest, I really have no idea how the gas conversion is fitted or works - I am just relaying what the mechanic told me.

Good luck.
That's only applicable to mixer ring style conversion. The newer technology is SVI/VSI which is effectively injected gaseous LPG, and the very newest is injected Liquid LPG - both bypass the exploding manifold issue (no backfires, unlike the older mixer ring systems).

Now, the issue I have is that when on gas, my engine codes on P0191 (Fuel pressure regulator check circuit) - so you can do the conversion to LPG (and CNG is not that different), but it may produce different errors with the car. Because of the engine code we have, I get around 8 to 9 mpg on LPG.

JCUZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:40 PM   #12
symon_say
Dominican Republic
05 F150

Vehicle Specs

The only difference between NG and LPG is the cylinder they use diffent one, cause NG can be compress as much as LPG, NG cylinders are bigger and can go outside of the vehicle, you can put much of it in, so you have to re-fill your tank lots of time in the week, but th NG is cheaper than LPG.

In my county LPG is the most common of both, but NG is starting to grow especially of urban buses and stuff like that.
symon_say is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page