Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1991 - 1994 Explorer Ranger Navajo 1st Generation > Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers For questions related to the base Ford Explorer. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. No modification questions.

93 Explorer Charging System Problem

Old 09-15-2008, 08:29 AM   #1
mattbguitar
'93 XLT 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
93 Explorer Charging System Problem

I noticed that the charging light on my Explorer stayed on so I checked the running volatge at the battery. It was only about 11.6V. I know for a fact that the alternator is working because it has been tried on another vehicle. I have no idea where to start looking for a problem. One thing though, I noticed that the running lights both stayed on fine, but when I turn on the actual headlights, the drivers side light goes off completely.

Another thing, although it may be unrelated, the vehicle lacks alot of power when going up hills. I probably just need a new fuel filter though.

Any ideas?
mattbguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn what modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to see less ads, no green underlined links, and many other benefits such as being able to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:36 AM   #2
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Welcome to this forum! You might have a high current fuse blown out.
BrooklynBay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:06 PM   #3
mattbguitar
'93 XLT 4x4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynBay View Post
Welcome to this forum! You might have a high current fuse blown out.
Do you have any idea which one. None of the ones under the hood are labeled specifically to the charging system.
mattbguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:26 AM   #4
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
It might be a main one.
BrooklynBay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 02:32 PM   #5
Alan_V
Anaheim, CA
1993 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbguitar View Post
I noticed that the charging light on my Explorer stayed on so I checked the running volatge at the battery. It was only about 11.6V. I know for a fact that the alternator is working because it has been tried on another vehicle. I have no idea where to start looking for a problem. One thing though, I noticed that the running lights both stayed on fine, but when I turn on the actual headlights, the drivers side light goes off completely.

Another thing, although it may be unrelated, the vehicle lacks alot of power when going up hills. I probably just need a new fuel filter though.

Any ideas?

A couple of simple things to consider as I don't have a manual at the moment. Check the output voltage at the alternator. As a rule, always check both ends of the wire. I it's better there, you've got resistance in the wire. Also try running a ground from the case to battery ground. Most alternators ground thru the case. Again, added resistance between the engine and the ground. Check the ground post of the battery for voltage. If you read more than 50mv, that ground is bad. If I have time when I get home, I'll go thru my manual and see I come come up with anything else.
Alan_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:19 PM   #6
XxxMonoxideChild
Rockford, IL

92 pile

Vehicle Specs

i just went through a similar thing. truck wouldnt charge. after replacing the alt, battery, battery terminals, starter relay, running a ground to the alt, all new charge wire, and even OEM wiring harness with plugs. my truck STILL wouldnt charge.

ended up being a bad ignition relay....? i still dont get the reason why, but our trucks alt dont just charge the battery when the engine is on. the ignition relay has to inform the alt also that the motor is on, and to charge the battery. to me, that sounds like complicating things alot more then they need to be, but the fact is, ford decided they liked that idea.

not saying the same issue is what your dealing with, but if you get to the end of your rope replacing EVERYTHING, and it still doesnt work, try it. it took me weeks to fix this issue till i figured this out.

one exception though. my charge light never came on at all. and the voltage was getting so low, the truck stranded me a few time's, so it really should have.

-- Mazda Navajo steering wheel, Navajo tail lights, 31X10.5X15's, Disc brake swap w/3.73LS, Larger rear sway bar, overhead console, auto dimming mirror, blue limited gauge's, cone filter intake, 5.0 MAF housing

~Link to pic's at the registry!~
XxxMonoxideChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:44 PM   #7
Alan_V
Anaheim, CA
1993 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxxMonoxideChild View Post
i just went through a similar thing. truck wouldnt charge. after replacing the alt, battery, battery terminals, starter relay, running a ground to the alt, all new charge wire, and even OEM wiring harness with plugs. my truck STILL wouldnt charge.

ended up being a bad ignition relay....? i still dont get the reason why, but our trucks alt dont just charge the battery when the engine is on. the ignition relay has to inform the alt also that the motor is on, and to charge the battery. to me, that sounds like complicating things alot more then they need to be, but the fact is, ford decided they liked that idea.

not saying the same issue is what your dealing with, but if you get to the end of your rope replacing EVERYTHING, and it still doesnt work, try it. it took me weeks to fix this issue till i figured this out.

one exception though. my charge light never came on at all. and the voltage was getting so low, the truck stranded me a few time's, so it really should have.
Relay is about the second cheapest thing you can replace, so go get one. There are about 8 relays with the same part # in the box and at $6 each, you might just consider replacing them all. Cured an ABS problem I had last month. Light woudl come and go. Replaced the power relay and it's been fine ever since. Also fixed a blower problem a few years back.
Alan_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:33 PM   #8
weldtron
Chicago, IL.
'93XLT

Vehicle Specs

Can anyone tell me where the ignition relay is located?
WELDTRON
weldtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:44 PM   #9
weldtron
Chicago, IL.
'93XLT

Vehicle Specs

Question Where is the relay located?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxxMonoxideChild View Post

weldtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:09 AM   #10
mawrazen
Atlanta, Ga
94 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

Under the hood on the passenger side.

Sometimes I'm here, but mostly I'm gone.
mawrazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:33 PM   #11
Delta_1980
livingsville, California
92' exploder

Vehicle Specs

make sure you check the water level in the battery before you do anything else. My system wasn't charging , checked the fluid...topped off all the cells and bam... back in business . The cells (water level) should be right up to the plastic lip.
Delta_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page