Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:03 AM   #1
mavrick1903
Stoughton, WI
99 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)

Can someone tell me where the heck my door lock relays are? 1999 XLT Exp? they dont seem to be in the box under the hood, or are they? when trying to fix my driver door lock actuator (does not seem to be the actuator, seems to be wiring or relay. suggestions wanted for either) we pulled all of the relays in the box near the master cylinder, and it does not seem to be one of those. anyone?

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:45 AM   #2
gmanpaint
Torsion Bar Free
since 2010

94 XLT-95 FX4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Under the dash. A relay box with 7 relays in it. To the right of the steering column, left of the radio bezel. Large relay for pw wind, and locks i believe.

The Black Hole

Pugly
gmanpaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 07:04 PM   #3
budwich
Ottawa, Ont
96 XL

Vehicle Specs

I don't think so... back cargo area, driver's side.

PS. its most likely NOT the relay... more likely a broken wire BUT you need to indicate more info about what symptoms you have.
budwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 07:49 PM   #4
gmanpaint
Torsion Bar Free
since 2010

94 XLT-95 FX4

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by budwich View Post

PS. its most likely NOT the relay... more likely a broken wire BUT you need to indicate more info about what symptoms you have.
I stand corrected!! They are in the cargo area! Just looked it up in the owners manual, 1 for lock, 1 for unlock, 1 for driver dr unlock.
Sorry about that!

Thank you Budwich.

The Black Hole

Pugly
Old 10-06-2008, 09:21 AM   #5
mavrick1903
Stoughton, WI
99 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:

Ok, here are the symptoms. Driver door does not lock/unlock by any button or standard setting (like tapping the brakes). meaning, the remote does not do it, nor do the lock buttons. the key fob will unlock the rest of the locks with the double push. single push does not cause any sounds at all. I bought (then returned) a new lock actuator and plugged it in without actually installing it, and it does not work on the plug, but when tested, it's fine, so it's not the actuator. the driver door lock switch does lock/unlock all other locks. so yes, I agree, it could be the wiring, but it's the return to the acutator not the switch. I figure the relay is what to check next though.

can anyone provide/direct me to a box map as to which relay it is? my Exp did not come with an owners manual and I dont think the Haynes book has it.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:56 AM   #6
budwich
Ottawa, Ont
96 XL

Vehicle Specs

Sooo.... it is NOT your relay as it is the same relay for all locks and since the other doors work, its a broken wire issue. Most common problem... "millions" of posts. Use a meter and check PK/BK and PK/O for ground / battery at "appropriate times" (ie. lock . unlock). Most likely break is at the door post / column.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:11 AM   #7
gmanpaint
Torsion Bar Free
since 2010

94 XLT-95 FX4

Vehicle Specs

online manual
https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenan...ls/results.asp

The Black Hole

Pugly
Old 10-06-2008, 12:57 PM   #8
mavrick1903
Stoughton, WI
99 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I had thought that the driver door was a seperate relay? or is only the driver unlock seperate, and the lock is "all lock"??

Quote:
Sooo.... it is NOT your relay as it is the same relay for all locks and since the other doors work, its a broken wire issue. Most common problem... "millions" of posts. Use a meter and check PK/BK and PK/O for ground / battery at "appropriate times" (ie. lock . unlock). Most likely break is at the door post / column.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:20 PM   #9
budwich
Ottawa, Ont
96 XL

Vehicle Specs

Yes there is a driver side unlock relay... for the "hit once, unlock driver, hit / hold unlock the whole ting" feature (IF you have it... I think its referred to as the "electronics option"). I don't have my "drawings" here at this moment so I can't confirm but my feeling is you have a wiring issue NOT a relay issue.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:45 PM   #10
mavrick1903
Stoughton, WI
99 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
anyone know where the wire runs? and/or where would the most likely spot for a wiring issue be?

Old 10-06-2008, 03:54 PM   #11
CDW6212R
Elite Explorer
Knoxville, TN

98 Mountaineer A4WD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
I agree, the relay for all doors would operate the LF door.

The wiring issues are typically between the kick panel and the LF door jamb connector. Rarely is it in the actual connector or on the door side. Check those last. Regards,

Be American, Buy American (Manufacturer)
CDW6212R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:10 AM   #12
cantspell
Toronto. Canada
1998 xlt

Vehicle Specs

I have a similar problem, only my drivers side door unlock will not work - I can lock all the doors from the passenger side...and unlock from the drivers...but i can't lock from it - nor does the key fob lock work now either....

Old 02-10-2009, 07:52 PM   #13
joe black
maine
95 xlt explorer

Vehicle Specs

I have a 95 explore, that the door locks, lock and unlock for no reason.Just driving down the road.Can someone help me,Thanks

Last edited by joe black; 02-10-2009 at 08:27 PM.
joe black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:23 PM   #14
TheJackal
Mandeville, LA
1999 Explorer XL 2WD

Vehicle Specs

Likely a corroded/damaged switch. There are 3; one in the driver door, one in the passenger door, and one in the cargo area.

The driver's door one is the one that usually goes first because it is used more often, and the door is opened frequently, exposing the switch to the rain. Next check the passenger switch. Check the cargo switch last; it usually doesn't get exposed to the rain the way the door ones do.

If they all test good, it could be a couple of wires are pinched together and making intermittent contact.
TheJackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:09 PM   #15
b&b auto
indiana
2001 ford sprottrac

Vehicle Specs

anybody now where i can find the relays for sporttrac door locks
b&b auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:17 PM   #16