• Register Today It's free!

'04 liftgate glass adjustment

crazy933

Reaction score
City, State
joliet, il
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Eddie Bauer
I've look for previous posts on this topic and cannot find any. How can the rear liftgate glass be adjusted. I also havn't found anything in a repair manual. The glass is off center about 1/4 to the left. This has caused the top right rubber bumper to break off once and is starting to stress the replacement that I put in. This is also causing the glass to not close correctly, it just doen't feel right when you close it.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've look for previous posts on this topic and cannot find any. How can the rear liftgate glass be adjusted. I also havn't found anything in a repair manual. The glass is off center about 1/4 to the left. This has caused the top right rubber bumper to break off once and is starting to stress the replacement that I put in. This is also causing the glass to not close correctly, it just doen't feel right when you close it.

Thanks

It's a pain! I went through it a few months ago, when I had to replace the hinges on our '04 XLT. If the hinges are alligned correctly, all you really have to do is loosen the black bolts that go through the glass. They're torx heads, IIRC. If the hinges are out of whack, and I assume they are, the upper trim needs to come off. The nuts for the hinges are hidden behind the trim peice. Just take a look at it. It's really easy to figure out how to adjust it. It's just really difficult to get it alligned perfectly. And take a close look at your hinges, they may be broke. They've had problems with them. They were even recalled on the early 3rd gens.

It took me about 1/2 hour to replace the hinges, and like 2 hours to get it adjusted.

ZtH01

thanks, i'll give it a try and let ya know how it worked out.

If anyone has pictures on this, or part numbers for the hinges please let me know, its crazy I just logged on to ask this exact same question and it was the very first thread in this section! My hinges are both broken due to the infamous misalignment of them which Ford still wont recognize as a problem. Crazy993, let me know how yours goes I want to fix mine before winter comes.

Thanks

I just took off the glass and both hinges are broken, I will check for prices next.

I can't find an exact part number but if you go to an online parts catalog, go to body, liftgate, glass, hinges. they are like $18 each.

If anyone has pictures on this, or part numbers for the hinges please let me know, its crazy I just logged on to ask this exact same question and it was the very first thread in this section! My hinges are both broken due to the infamous misalignment of them which Ford still wont recognize as a problem. Crazy993, let me know how yours goes I want to fix mine before winter comes.

Thanks

I just went to the Ford dealer. The parts guy knew exactly what I was talking about. The left and right hinges are actually different. So make sure you get one of each, and pay attention to which one is which. They sell em seperatly or together. I bought both of them together for like $25, I think they were like $15 a peice seperate. They did have the kit in stock, too.

Just be carefull when you do this. If it's extremely off allignment, and you close the glass, the glass can shatter. Just make sure it looks pretty close before you shut the glass. And I suggest having a step ladder or something to stand on while doing this, unless you're like 7 feet tall...

I found the parts for the same price, but now I worry about the repair work, I usually do everything on my explorer but the hinges are so crooked, I am starting to think I should have Ford do the work. How could Ford install the hinges this bad and it pass a post production quality check? I am going to call and see what the cost would be to have them do the work, if its outragous I will get a few friends together and do it myself. I will take pictures as usual. Thank you to everyone for the ideas.

It's really not that bad. Just make sure it looks fairly straight. Keep checking alignment as you slowly shut the glass. You should feel it bind well before it breaks, if you go slow.

Now that think about it, it shouldnt be too bad if I have two people so one person can hold it in place while the other one tightens the hinges, my only fear is the indentation where the hinge goes looks crooked as well so it may make things difficult. I am going to do it thsi Sunday, crazy993, let me know how yours goes.

Thanks

I will have to get the parts first, I don't think I'll get anything done until the week end. If by chance I do get anything done I will share any tips or any trouble I run into.

Thanks guys

If you can swing the $, have the dealership body shop do it- I know 4 people that have tried to adjust the glass- 3 of them have had the glass shatter. 1 at home, 2 at the dealer. If the dealer does it, they replace it. It's super sensitive... Just my .02!

I agree, you cant really see the stress that a crooked hinge puts on the glass until its too late. Im going to do mine myself when I get rid of the plastic butt crack, and if it breaks, im putting an 06+ back hatch on it....

I called a local Ford dealer and they want just under $200 including parts and labor to do the work. He said he doesnt trust his regular service staff to do it only his body shop staff because the service staff always breaks the glass, thats a bit scary if you ask me. Now I am second guessing doing it myself.

Yikes! $175 to pull the hatch trim panel, do 2 bolts, 2 nuts and 2 lift struts? I think too many people are rushing this job. They're just slapping the hinges on and slamming the door shut. You NEED to take it slow, and check alignment as you SLOWLY close it.

Rushed or not, this is one of those jobs that even the dealership body shop has go wrong every now and then, and think about how many of them they do? 175-30 for parts-50 for real world labor costs = 95 dollar insurance policy against your back glass bursting out. Heck, ive even heard of people letting the dealership do it, and having it burst out all on its own while they were sleeping a few nights later. Horrible design.

I just bought the kit for $27.05 which includes both of them. I am going to trya dn do this thing myself on Sunday, If I do not feel comfortable with the alignment I will just take it in on Monday morning and have them do it. I have a body shop guy that will help me, lets hope he knows what he is doing!

I stopped by the dealer for quotes on them doing the work after reading the horrible stories of the glass breaking. they said $100 or $150 if the truck has "beauty bolts" and he had no idea what they were. that's just the labor. i checked on-line and at the dealer and no recalls on this one unfortunatly.

I picked up the parts today. It comes in a kit with everything you need, the part number for the kit is:

2L2Z-78420A68-AA

It cost me 27.05 plus tax

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did mine this morning, took less than an hour. the only thing is that on the right hinge, the metal spike that sticks out from the back somehow got broken off. I really hope that it doen't affect the hinge. I think that the hinge may not stay in the correct position without it, we'll see and hope for the best.

Back