Help! My 1998 Explorer won't start. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help! My 1998 Explorer won't start.

TomTheBomb

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer Sport
I have a 1998 start ford explorer sport 4.0 sohc and it wont start and my theft light is blinking my fuel pump is working but my engine will not turn over. From what ive gathered it has something to do with my anti theft device is there anyway i can reset this any helpwould be GREAT!!! Thanks All

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah and it doesnt work either

and thanks brooklyn its kinda funny i started my suv to go to work yesterday and it died i already know i need a new mass air flow. so it dies on me and i try to restart it but it wont turn the engin over all fuses are goo and i do have a good battery. I got up this morning and pushed the gas peddle to the flor turned the key and it fires up. Not wanting to take a chance i just walked to work my dad comes in to work grabs my keys it fires right up and he drove around and fired it up 5 different times. So i think cool no problem i get home from work a of course same problem

at least that i know of i dont have any kind of remote for it

ok ill go try it and see be right back

no dice still nothing im truly stumped

see i dont have anykind of keyless entry for it so i dont think that is it

still nothing im really starting to get frustrated its not making any sence

The starter is probably gone.

To further test, try jumpering directly from the battery to the starter to see if it spins. That way you are bypassing the solenoid and any relays.

well i tried again this morning and it fired right up let it run for 15 minutes and all was well i didnt mant to take it to work until i really find the problem so i went back out about 10 minutes later the S.O.B once again nothing wont turn over it has something to do with the Anti-Theft system the factory installed But Im Truly At A Lose!!!!!!!!

I'm wondering if there is an anti theft relay somewhere which is going. Maybe the contacts are borderline, and it only works sometimes. Check Autozone's website. They might have a schematic of the anti theft system.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not sure about the 98 explorer but my 98 ranger has an anti-theft reset button under the dash above the pedals. It's a black little button try pushing that for 30 seconds and see if that does anything? Good luck. Also try disconnecting the negative battery cable for 30 seconds this resents things quite nicely as well.

Back