O/D Light Flashing

bodiea

Reaction score
City, State
Temple,Ga.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
:usa:

Guys I'm new here so hope I get this right. I have a 2000 Explorer that does not shift into overdrive. The light comes on after driving variuos distances and the rpm's go up. There is no specific time when it comes on and acts up and varies everytime I drive. Sometimes it even goes back off and runs fine. I've read alot of post on this issue but am not really sure what the actual cause and fix are? Would a valve body rebuild fix this issue? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I would like to do this repair myself and save some bucks as times are hard these days. I do have a 95 F150 flare side that I can drive while I do this fix so transportation is not a problem. The explorer has 180,000 on it and just changed the filter and fluid.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks. Going to pick up a reader on the way home and will post the codes.

Checked Codes-

:confused:Went and bought a code reader today and there are no codes coming up at all. Don't know if I need to drive it until the O/D light flashes and check them again before cutting the engine off or not? Once the engine is cut off and restarted it has to be driven several miles and up to around 50 mph before it start flashing again and having a noticeable increase in rpm's. I guess I'm at a loss for now on this issue. Everywhere I look it seems the tranny needs a rebuild. My question would be if I could try replacing the valve body gasket and seperator plate to fix this issue? From what I read here it doesnt seem to be a difficult task, just a little confusing as to exactly what parts to buy, do you have to by a TSB kit from ford? or can everything needed come from one place? Any help on this would be great guys!:confused:

BODIEA...before you send it off to the tranny shop for a rebuild, TRY a rebuilt/upgraded valve body from centralvalvebodies.com. Ask for Lenny, he'll give you 10% off if you tell him you're an explorerforum.com member.

250$ delivered to your door. It cured 2 problems I was having, and I'm SURE if I had brought my truck to the trans shop they would have screamed rebuild. If it doesn't help, you still have a rebuilt/upgraded valve body that will serve you better than the original.

I'm sure hundreds of other people can vouch for his work and its successes.

Will certainly do that. Local Ford guy wanted $600 plus for a valve body with the separator plate and $125 for an EPC soloenoid. Seems like from what I have read it's a definate to replace the EPC while doing this work. Don't know if any of this will solve my OD issue or not but is well woth a try and at least if I need to do a rebuild this end will be done.

Help

:mad:

Ok got a new separator plate with bonded gaskets and fords blow of valve tsb kit. But now that I have it apart looks like this change was done awhile back. I bought this car for the ex, don't remember having an o/d issue and ford fixing while under warranty but may have? Is there anyway I can check/test the EPC solenoid? I of course looks fine but there was some in/out movement on it as in out from the body and back into it? I cant find a local dealer that has one in stock and they all want $160 plus anyways. But I would like to see if it can be tested before I spend the $$$ to see if it will fix this od issue or if I need to have it rebuilt? Help me guys! Thanks

You need a special scan tool to modulate the EPC in order to fully test it. If you decide to just buy a new one, here's a link for a brand new part for $25: http://www.800700tran.com/prod.itml/icOid/153. Check the TCC, and shift solenoids on the same page. You won't get a lower price than what is in this link.

Solenoids

Thanks Brroklyn-I ordered the EPC,TCC and Set of four Shift Solenoids. Hopefully they will get here soon and solves the problem with the O/D light flashing and going into limp mode? Worst case, I've adressed that side of the tranny and will take it from there!

The parts you removed might still be good, so don't throw them out just yet. Either way for the price of these parts you might as well replace everything at the same time so that you don't have more problems in the future. BTW, what do they charge for shipping?

Shipping Cost

The parts total was $50.98 and shipping was $19.94 for UPS ground which for shipping is kind of high, but based on the parts cost it's worth it and doesn't cause you to flinch as much ;) Ford dealer wanted $167.00 just for the EPC Solenoid, so for a total of $70.92 for all with shipping I'm happy! Now I will be esctatic if it fixes my o/d issue.

5r55e Solenoids

:thumbsup:
The parts you removed might still be good, so don't throw them out just yet. Either way for the price of these parts you might as well replace everything at the same time so that you don't have more problems in the future. BTW, what do they charge for shipping?

Brooklyn since I have no way of testing these other than the Ohm readings which seem to be good from what information I can find. If anyone needs these I will be glad to send these to them at no cost. I hopefully will get the new ones the first of the week and will see how it goes with the fix. Below is a copy of the invoice for what I paid on the new solenoids, thought it might help other users and give the part numbers as well. Also is the link for the company ordered from. The shipping cost was from Tampa to Temple Ga which is about 40 miles west of Atlanta.

---------------------------< Receipt >---------------------------
Order #: 57827
Customer #: 78308
Order placed: 11/07/2008

Item Name SKU Price Qty Sub-total
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
5R55E - NEW OEM EPC 97up SOLENO 24.99 1 24.99
ID "RED" #XL2Z-7G383-AA
4R44E - 5R55E TCC SOLENOID NEW # 9.99 1 9.99
XL2P-7G136-AA
5R55E SET OF (4) SHIFT COAST SOL 16.00 1 16.00
ENOIDS NEW OEM#97GT-7G484-AB
--------
Sub Total: $50.98
Shipping: $19.94
Tax: $0.00
--------
Grand Total: $70.92

www.800700tran.com

Let us know how everything works out for you. Compare the parts they sell you to what you already have to see what kind of quality they are. Post a picture of their packaging. I wonder if they are actual Ford OEM parts or another brand. A product review of their company would also be appreciated if you could add one in our product review section.

Solenoid Images

Let us know how everything works out for you. Compare the parts they sell you to what you already have to see what kind of quality they are. Post a picture of their packaging. I wonder if they are actual Ford OEM parts or another brand. A product review of their company would also be appreciated if you could add one in our product review section.

Attachments

• 100_1284.JPG
    100_1284.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 2,979
  • 100_1285.JPG
    100_1285.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 2,991
  • 100_1286.JPG
    100_1286.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 3,205
  • 100_1287.JPG
    100_1287.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 2,988

All of those prices are different than what it says on their website. The Red band EPC is $24.99. The 4 shift solenoids are $16, and the TCC is $9.99. Overall, it's a good deal, but I guess you could send them an email asking them why the prices are different. Everything looks like it's very well packaged. Don't forget to mention this site to them.;)

All of those prices are different than what it says on their website. The Red band EPC is $24.99. The 4 shift solenoids are $16, and the TCC is $9.99. Overall, it's a good deal, but I guess you could send them an email asking them why the prices are different. Everything looks like it's very well packaged. Don't forget to mention this site to them.;)

I noticed the price difference on the invoice as well, but the math basically ends up the same. What happened is when I ordered the parts online on Friday I called to verify when they would ship on the following Tuesday and the online ordering system was down when I had placed my order so I just did it verbally on the phone with the young lady and it's just how she wrote the invoice up. Thought they would have at least called and let me know the system wasnt processing payments though. Got everything last Friday and installed them. Still have the o/d light flashing so I think I'm gonna try adjusting the bands and change out the intermediate and o/d servo and see if that may fix the problem before I drop it and and rebuild.

Did the OD problem get fixed by replacing this parts? I have a 2000 ford explorer and the OD light flashes after driving just a few miles. I then noticed that when slowing down to a stop when is about to engage 1st makes a cunk notice. It works fine if the light is not flashing. I read so much on this and I don't know what the real fix is.
Someone help please...

My 99 XLT just started flashing the o/d off today too.....just as the first snow of the season was starting to fall......great.....thanks for the info on this!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back