Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, & Differentials

Notices

Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, & Differentials Transmissions, Transfer Cases. A4LD, 4R70W, 4R44E, 4R55E, 5R44E, 5R55E, M5OD, BW 1354, Control Trac, GEM, AWD. Ford 8.8", Dana 35

overfilled the transmission fluid...maybe

Old 11-05-2008, 06:48 PM   #1
my94ford
PA
1994 EB 4WD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
overfilled the transmission fluid...maybe

Hi everyone. First post here, so I hope I abide by all the rules. Apologies in advance if I don't.

I noticed a slight transmission slip a couple of weeks ago, so I checked the transmission fluid in my 94 Explorer. When I tried to check it with the motor running, all I could determine was that there was fluid all over the dipstick. I let it sit overnight and checked it cold the next morning. The owner's manual says that if it's cold, the fluid level should be between the two holes near the end of the dipstick. Well, my fluid was halfway between the lower hole and the end of the dipstick (extremely low, in my opinion). I added two quarts of fluid. When I checked it again (cold) the fluid level read higher than the cross-hatching on the dipstick (way above the second hole and apparently extremely high)! I'm told that too much fluid will cause problems (blown seals, etc., although some on this board seem to think that's ridiculous). I've tried to use a siphon to get some fluid out, but the hose won't reach down into the fluid b/c something is blocking it. Can someone please advise me on where I stand? I find it hard to believe that two quarts would take it from almost empty to overfilled, but that's what the dipstick is telling me. Is that normal? Thoughts? Thank you.
my94ford is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:54 PM   #2
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Welcome to this forum! Are you checking the fluid level after it was sitting for a while or after it wasn't used all night? It will creep up as it warms up. This link is in # 14 in my list of useful threads: http://www.gearsmagazine.com/images/...2007_10_60.pdf
BrooklynBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:55 PM   #3
fixxxer
Aurora, Co.
93 XLT 4X4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The difference between the low and high marks on the transmission dipstick is approximately 1 pint. (If that is incorrect, maybe Brooklyn or Glacier can correct me) You should be able to pull one of the hoses off of the transmission cooler with the engine off and allow about 1 cup to 1 pint to drain off into a disposable container. Reconnect the hose and recheck the level with the engine running. Repeat as required.

97 Camry

Ford Explorer and Ranger Owner's Guides and more...
fixxxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:07 PM   #4
my94ford
PA
1994 EB 4WD

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Brooklyn - I check it in the morning after driving it for about 1 minutes to a level parking lot (my driveway and road are slanted).

fixxxer - I don't know what a transmission cooler is, but I'll take a look in the daylight tomorrow and see if there are any hoses that I think I can easily pull off to drain some fluid.

Thanks to you both.
my94ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:26 PM   #5
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
The cooler is connected to the transmission lines. It's in the front of the vehicle.
BrooklynBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:33 PM   #6
fixxxer
Aurora, Co.
93 XLT 4X4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
On my '93, the tranny cooler is mounted behind the grill, driver's side. Remove the plastic cover above the radiator, then you can get to the screws and clips holding the grill on, from there, the cooler should be obvious, it's mounted on the front of the radiator.
Just before you check the level, set the e-brake, your foot on the brake pedal, move the transmission selector through every position, pausing about 3-5 seconds in each gear, finishing with the transmission in Park.

97 Camry

Ford Explorer and Ranger Owner's Guides and more...
fixxxer is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page