o4 explorer cigarette lighter replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

o4 explorer cigarette lighter replacement

bronxflyr

Reaction score
City, State
spokane wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 explorer
can anyone tell me how to replace cigarette lighter on 04 explorer, fuse OK
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Go to store....

Buy new lighter...

Get back to truck...

Open package....

Using a forward pushing motion, insert new lighter in old lighters socket.

Am I missing something? It is very easy to do, why are you asking?

If you lighter is broken, there isn't much to go wrong, fuse (you said its OK), or the lighter itself. The plug is basically a wire and metal housing. Nothing to go wrong there, the fuse would go if the wires shorted out. I have had lighters seem to not work because the inside of the plug was so full of ash and tobacco, needed a good cleaning out, just cause it wasn't making good contact with the electrical contacts. I have also had the actualy lighter go bad from over use, see instructions above for fixing.

Got any pics of above procedure? Hahahaha this was so funny

mine is broken too i have to get a new lighter. Now i use matches now since i my lighter is not working. I miss using the cig lighter when i wanna smoke my cigs

Let us try a less rude approach. Does the socket work?

can anyone tell me how to replace cigarette lighter on 04 explorer, fuse OK
Thanks

Welcome aboard. Any snow up in Spokane yet?

My guess is you're talking about one of the power points, which look like a cig lighter sockets. The one up front is protected by fuse #9 and the one in back is protected by fuse #7 in the Power Distribution Box (aka Battery Junction Box). That's the fuse box under the hood near the battery. Did you check those fuses?

I think the socket is bad, have replaced fuse several times & got new lighter-worked then blows fuse-Where can i get info to change socket?

I am looking for a new power point too, and you can not just go to the store for one either...

Go to the junk yard and pull the radio bezel out(by removing the two bolts just above the a/c controls) then you can see backside of the socket, just unplug the two wires and twist the socket, the back unscrews from the front. But I doubt that the socket is the root of the problem, are you sure your using the right fuse to replace it? I can imagine that a cig lighter pulls a good little current.

If you are sure that its not the fuse then you probably have a short somewhere else in the system, if this is the case and you cant narrow down where it is, then just run a new wire from the battery with an in-line fuse.(This may cause your OBDII port to become non-functional, in that case you will have to get it sorted out before your next inspection.)

EDIT - that may not be correct to remove the radio bezel, if you dont have the bolts on yours then search around, it may be different for a third gen.

I even went and took pics for you! Im such a nice guy! lol

Anyway here you see my radio bezel:
DSC00077.JPG

And here are the two bolts that hold it in(along with snaps that just pop out):
DSC00075.JPG

This is where mine cig light should go(if I hadn't cracked my bezel a while back):
DSC00078.JPG

Here is the socket and lighter put together:
DSC00079.JPG

And here you can see how it unscrews:
DSC00080.JPG

*also keep in mind these pics are from my 2nd gen sport, yours may differ*

Looking for a schematic of the fuse box housing the fuse to the cigarette lighter in my 2003 Ford Explorer XLT. I can't locate my owners manual. Better yet does anyone know the fuse type and number under the drivers side steering wheel?

Back