Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2006 - 2010 Explorer Mountaineer 4th Generation > Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers

Notices

Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers Stock 2006 -2010 Ford Explorer Forum. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

Is ignition key "chipped"?

Old 11-16-2008, 09:24 AM   #1
MrBill
Tucson, AZ
2006 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Question Is ignition key "chipped"?

Hello,

I just purchased a used 2006 Explorer - got an amazing price (I think) thanks to the current financial crisis! I expect to have a bunch of questions as I learn about the car, but a couple of questions need an immediate answer. Note that I did search before asking my questions, but could not find an answer specific to my question.

I only received one key and one remote control for the car, and definitely think it is smart to have a spares. Does the ignition key have a special built-in security chip or is the key one of the "plain Jane" variety that I can have copied at any lock smith? If there is a chip, does this mean that I have to buy my 2nd key at the dealer or is there another source?

As for the remote control, according to the manual this doesn't look like a problem and I believe I should find one on eBay!

Join the Elite Explorers for only $20 a year. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:28 AM   #2
mikeh44
Kansas City Kansas
2004 XLT

Vehicle Specs

yes
mikeh44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:38 AM   #3
MrBill
Tucson, AZ
2006 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeh44 View Post
yes
OK, does this mean that I have to buy my 2nd key at the dealer or is there another source? While I'm thinking about it, does anyone have any idea what the dealer charges for the key?

FWIW, I used to have a BMW with one key . . . the BMW dealer wanted $250 for a spare "chipped" key. I decided to live with just the single key!

Old 11-16-2008, 09:40 AM   #4
IAmTodd
Explorer Addict
Johnstown, PA

1994 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
You can pick up a key off ebay (make sure it looks the same), have it cut at you local hardware store and program it yourself if you have two existing keys. Max of $20. Procedure should be in the manual to program the key. I would suggest that everyone have at least 3 keys. Once you only have one, you'll be visiting the dealer.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:27 PM   #5
MrBill
Tucson, AZ
2006 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmTodd View Post
You can pick up a key off ebay (make sure it looks the same), have it cut at you local hardware store and program it yourself if you have two existing keys. Max of $20. Procedure should be in the manual to program the key. I would suggest that everyone have at least 3 keys. Once you only have one, you'll be visiting the dealer.
I checked eBay where I found 2006 Explorer keys at reasonable prices. Then I checked the manual where it clearly stated what you said in your last sentence . . . if you have only one key (I only have one), you must have the dealer prepare the new key for you. But in reading the procedure in the manual, it appears that I might be able to "fool" the ignition into thinking I have two keys!?

Has anyone managed to program an aftermarket key when they had only one working key in their possession?

Old 11-17-2008, 05:00 AM   #6
IAmTodd
Explorer Addict
Johnstown, PA

1994 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I do apologize, I should have actually read your post and not the title. You will need to stop at the dealer to get the key programmed. There is no way to fool the system into thinking you have two keys. Each key is unique and it will know. You can still get it off Ebay, get it cut (make sure it works but don't try and start the truck, just turn it to the accessory position) then take it to the dealer to be done. When I got my '00 it was $30 to get it programmed. I have heard of dealers charging upwards of $100.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:03 AM   #7
aaronajb1981
Minneapolis, MN
'06 XLS

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Some locksmiths have the portable tools to program keys (if you have no keys or just 1 key) also. usually they might be cheaper than a dealership.
aaronajb1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 01:30 PM   #8
lakewood216
Lakewood Ohio
'99 Eddie Bauer 5.0 130k

Vehicle Specs

Spare key

I too have only one key for my just purchased '99 EB. The dealer wants $100 to cut and program 1 key. I called a local (Cleveland, Ohio area) Locksmith and they will cut and program 2 keys for $70.
lakewood216 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page