• Register Today It's free!

Codes 122 & 998

robmurt04

Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 4WD
Hey guys, I recently had my TB off to clean it and now that its back in its throwing these codes.

When I scan it with the engine off but key on (KOEO) I get 122.
When I scan it with the engine on (KOER) I get 122 & 998

From what I read and from what my scanner tell me:
Code 122 - TPS (Throttle Position Signal) - Low Voltage
Code 998 - Unavailable (I found out it means I'm pretty much in "limp home mode")

I hooked the scanner back up and looked at everything with the engine running, I'm getting a TP Signal of 0.00V.

Not sure what I should start with, it's not that I have low voltage it's that I have NO voltage. I have a high idle (just under 2000), it pulses, and randomly jumps & drops rpms only to return to 1800ish. The car however drives fine once in gear. :confused:

If anyone can help with any suggesting of what I should check, mess with, replace, hit with a hammer, ect... Please and thanks for input!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...I would look at the wires for the TPS and the IAC...:dunno:...Make sure they are connected and in good order...I'm thinking one of the 2 are not completely connected and you might have a broken or loose vacuum hose or a air leak at the TB,TPS, or IAC...:scratch:

I have power at the plug, one of the 3 wires has power, the other two don't. Idk if they're supposed to or not?

Also: my scanner says that the "TPCT(V) --- 1.2"
And "IAT=ACT(V) --- 2.66"

Checked to make sure everything was plugged in securely and what not too, still have the problems

2nd that on the connections . i put on a new maf and the maf was ok for about 6 months but all of asudden i got a cel one day while driveing..looked at everything and found that the gripper part of the connector would not make good contact on the sensor...no matter how much i tried to push it on the maf it would be ok then i would get a cel....basiclly had to tie wrap it on there tight so it made a proper connection ,no more cel after that.

TPS is a simple potentiometer. 0V suggests that there's a break somewhere in the TPS circuit. Should be pretty easy to track down with a wiring diagram and a voltmeter (I've found that even the wiring diagram in Chiltons would be adequate for the TPS circuit).

Back