• Register Today It's free!

2001-2003 Sport Trac transmission

calpolywally

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Navajo
I am looking at buying a '01-'03 Sport Trac 4x4 but I've heard there are some pretty major problems with the tramsmission and 4x4 systems. Does anyone have any info, advice, recommendations, etc..?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The transmission has been around for years in rangers and explorers (should be the 5r55e). Yes they can have problems, but so can anything. The 2-3 shift flare is really common. Basically when upshift from second to third, the engine may rev up a bit and then jump into third. A big killer of the transmission is heat too, so a good cooler will help.
The 4x4 system is pretty decent. There are no lock out hubs, no vacuum actuated anything. The normal problem is the electric shift motor. Usually if it doesn't work right it can be removed and cleaned.
Have a good look at the balljoints and sway bar endlinks and bushings in the front end, they are fairly common issues also.
All in all, I've been very happy with my sport trac so far. Zero issues (except for a few that I created myself).

beware

my 2002 explorer sport trac has a sealed trans. you can not add fluid even if you want to. one of fords better ideas i guess. just had it rebuilt with 92000 miles cost 2200.00

Ford wants you to believe that it's sealed for everybody except for them. Check the sticky thread on the top of the transmission section called the 5R55W fluid fill. It will show you how to install an adapter which is basically a small fitting into it to refill it. You have to remove a plug on the side to check the fluid level.

Keep your fluids checked like i didnt and now I am replacing one in my 01 ranger 4x4. I was too busy to replace my trans cooling hoses.

Back