Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1991 - 1994 Explorer Ranger Navajo 1st Generation > Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers For questions related to the base Ford Explorer. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. No modification questions.

Windshield Wipers Stopped Working

Old 12-06-2008, 07:54 PM   #1
coalkickin

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Windshield Wipers Stopped Working

I got another issue with my 93 Explorer. The wipers stopped working. I can hear the motor hum when I turn them on, but the don't move. If I move them manually, they return to the down position? I would think that if it were the motor, this would not be the case. If it is the motor, can I swap out the rear wiper motor?
coalkickin is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:05 PM   #2
fixxxer
Aurora, Co.
93 XLT 4X4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That would be the wiper motor, and no, the front and back motor are not interchangeable. If the motor is humming, it means it is trying to work. You may be able to take it out, disassemble it and clean and re-grease everything. It may be the brushes are just worn down to nothing. I haven't seen any rebuild kits for the wiper motors though so you will be better off replacing it.

97 Camry

Ford Explorer and Ranger Owner's Guides and more...
fixxxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 08:14 PM   #3
coalkickin

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Cost?
coalkickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 08:21 PM   #4
fixxxer
Aurora, Co.
93 XLT 4X4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
At a guess, about $65 but check your local auto-parts stores

97 Camry

Ford Explorer and Ranger Owner's Guides and more...
fixxxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:59 PM   #5
thinkfaster
Galena, KS
2001 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

Sorry to thread hijack coalkickin...but i have an 01 explorer and i'm having a similar problem...for starters its 24 degrees F today and my car was covered in light snow...i starte the car and let it idle for about a minute and made sure the wipers were free of ice and when i turned my wipers on they came all the way up and stopped...i turned the wiper switch to the off position but every 30 seconds or so they will try to go back down but they will only move a couple inches...they worked fine yesterday...what could cause this?

thinkfaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 06:08 PM   #6
thinkfaster
Galena, KS
2001 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

got it figured out...pulled the wiper linkage cover on the drivers side and my linkage was covered in solid ice...lol...chipped it off and it works like a charm...

thinkfaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:00 AM   #7
dickster@rogers.
94 XLT

Vehicle Specs

CAN WIPER Pittman arm "CLIP"

I had a problem with my wiper motor & went to the trouble of replacing it before I found it was the ground, [see thread] for details. BUT I lost the CLIP that secures the Pittman arm to the Pittman, TWICE [drop it down past tranny into snow cause my hands were cold] but only found it once. Went to the dealer to get another one.."WOW" THIS "CLIP" A SMALL PIECE OF TIN, SMALLER THAN A DIME , 1/5 THE WEIGHT, MIGHT COST FORD .10 CENTS A HUNDRED,WANTED $24.00 FOR ONE WENT TO THE WRECKERS & GOT ONE FOR THE PRICE OF TAKING IT OFF..."FREE" I`ll find it in the spring & ask $5.00 & it will be a hellofadeal...lol Want install info....E me
dickster@rogers. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:04 AM   #8
smbracing
Jackson, OH
1994 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

make sure your wiper motor has a good clean ground, sounds like it may be corroded. Even if cleaning the ground doesn't work it's another thing to try and it costs nothing, that solved a similar problem on my '91
smbracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:43 PM   #9
dickster@rogers.
94 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Yes, after replacing it, It was the ground! damit.
dickster@rogers. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:24 PM   #10
Garybee
Midland Michigan
98 Eddie Bauer 4D AWD V8

Vehicle Specs

i had a problem like this with my wipers, here is the link to my posting http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...80#post2745880

Last edited by Garybee; 06-08-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Garybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:23 AM   #11
lancer525
Augusta, GA
2002 XLS

Vehicle Specs

Question

Having a very similar problem in my 2002 Explorer. I replaced the wiper motor with no results. All of the relays and fuses are good, and according to the continuity tester I have (looks like an icepick with a wire coming out the other end) I am getting electricity in the 12-pin plug to the motor. The wipers and washer do not work, and I have absolutely NO idea how to begin to check the wiring, since I cannot see where any of the wires go. There's so much 'stuff' packed in the engine compartment, I can't visually track the wiring.

There is no clicking, no reaction in the motor, no noises, no nothing.

I am literally at my wits' end trying to figure out what this could be, and not being a mechanical-type I don't really have any idea where to even begin to look.
lancer525 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page