New headlight switch. Headlights are still on with the key out of the ignition!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New headlight switch. Headlights are still on with the key out of the ignition!!!!

mooks69

Reaction score
City, State
detroit/windsor
Year, Model & Trim Level
97aerostar
Hello to All.
Thank God for Forums. Im new here and would love get some insight into this problem. Im thinking it may be a short somewhere but wanted to know if there is any other device between the headlight switch and the headlights, ie relay. If so, whats it look like and where do I find it. If worse comes to worse im going to run a toggle switch to the lead i removed from the starter relay.
Any thoughts on this issue would be hugely appreciated.
Its for a 97 aerostar sport xl with 3.0l, no power windows or doors

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome

Did you put a switch in like this? http://www.1aauto.com/1A/HeadlightSwitch/Ford/Aerostar/1AZHS00003/583433
1AZHS00003.jpg

Is it a Canadian Aerostar? If so I'd bet the daytime running light module has failed. They've been known to keep the lights on. On the 94 I had it was mounted on the inner fender on the driver's side. Disconnect it and see if the lights go out.

I'm having the same exact problem on my 94 Eddie.

Ironically its a :ca: model.

I have to pull fuse #14 out to turn off the lights.

Durning the day I keep #14 out since I do not need my running lights but that ABS light is annoying as hell.

How can I remedy this problem?

They run their lights during the day in Canada, so is this the proper way that it's supposed to work? As for the ABS light, clean the sensor on the rear differential. The internal magnet in the sensor picks up metal fragments, and trips the ABS light.

The daytime running lights are supposed to come on when you start the van, but shut down when you turn it off. They also are supposed to go out if you have the parking brake on. The module runs the high beams at a duty cycle of about 50%.
Some of the symptoms of a failed module are: Dim or no daytime running lights, full high beams at all times or just with the key on, headlamps flashing. I had the module fail on the 94 I had, and all I did was find the "jumper" that was used on U.S. vehicles and use that. The jumper takes the place of the DRL module, and completes the circuit for the high beam indicator. You could do the same thing by removing the module and trying the 2 wires for the high beam circuit together.

I'd like to keep it as original as possible.

If it came that way then it stays that way.

Where can I get a new module?

I'll try my buddy Tom at Green and see if he has one laying around.

Brooklyn...

The only time my ABS blinks is when I take fuse #14 out to shut off what's supposed to be my running lights.

When #14 is in the ABS does not blink but my "running lights" stay on even with the key off.

I was driving myself nuts wondering if the alarm system that was in there was installed incorrectly.

Now it makes sence since it was from :ca:

The other thing thats slightly annoying with the 94 the door ajar chime goes on and off every so often.

I'm wondering if its the sliding door contacts?

The chime usually sounds when the driver's door is open. The indicator on the dashboard will illuminate if any of the doors are open. The sliding door is usually the culprit for the door ajar light. It has a wire inside making the connection to the contacts which sometimes doesn't always work reliably. Another thing to check would be the switch inside of the hatch on the lock.

The part number is...

F43Z 15A272 A

Can someone show me an acutal picture of it in the acutal location?

Thanks.

does your Aerostar or Explorer have the AUTO LIGHT switch on the rear view mirror?

When I first got my 96 I could not figure out why the damn lights would come on and stay on in the garage... that little auto dimmer switch on my rear view mirror was not pushed all the way to OFF

Its also very touchy, to this day they still come on sometimes, the fix is to re-set the switch on the rear view mirror......its touchy, like I said.

I was baffled! LOL I came here and asked the same question, I felt pretty dumb when I was pointed to the auto dim feature on my rear view mirror.... I did not see this mentioned in this thread yet :)

Whoa! Is that dumb or what?

I never even checked into that.

I'll play around with it as it gets dark to see what happens.

I'll also take pix of the area on the driver's side wall near the battery to see if anyone knows what the heck all those strange wires are.

Thanks!

dont worry we can tell you what your wires are, sometimes from memory! LOL
this forum rules

I have $5 says your lights go off if you turn off your auto light feature on your rear view mirror, just like mine did!! LOL I replaced my multi funct switch, my light relays, fuses, I was looking for a lamp out module ( I dont have) when I made my post.... even explorer experts need help from the forum all the time!!

Right now the only way my lights go off with the key out is by removing fuse #14.

I'm so good at removing fuse #14 now that I don't have to look down there.

Just reach down and pull it out.

It's been pulled out so many times over the last month that it's very easy to do since the blades on the fuse are slightly worn from pulling it. :D

DAMN :ca:ians! lol

I found it right next to the battery.

Its metal it has heat sink ribs on it.

I'll take it out tomorrow and play with it.

It started to rain so I didn't take any pix of it.

By the way..... 410Fortune you owe me $5 bucks. :D

I tried doing what you said I also tried pulling on the E break and just about everything else. No DICE.

I also did some research on for that part online.

Why does my Ford dealer want $120 (my cost) when the same part is rumored to cost about $40-52 bucks everywhere I've read so far.

stealership!

Will you take $5 worth of used various headlight parts? LOL I have lots!

thumbnail.php

How about a tan window/lock cover thingy driver's side please. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's the wiring diagram for daytime running lights. The module is pretty standard, I'm using a 94 Tempo one in my 95 Ranger. The one I had in my 94 Aerostar failed and for a while I used one for a Lincoln Town Car. When that failed too (the modules are/were made by Lucas, the prince of darkness!) I got a jumper from a U.S. car (don't remember what) and installed that where the module was supposed to go. That gave me regular lights. The lights will work normally without anything hooked up, but you won't have a high beam light. I'm pretty sure all you need to do is tie the GY/W wire to the LG/BK one.

Back