Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations"® > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, & Differentials

Notices

Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, & Differentials Transmissions, Transfer Cases. A4LD, 4R70W, 4R44E, 4R55E, 5R44E, 5R55E, M5OD, BW 1354, Control Trac, GEM, AWD. Ford 8.8", Dana 35

Manual transmission issue. It's very difficult shifting into gears.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:32 AM   #1
Expl0ring
Sikeston, Missouri
'97 Sport

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Manual transmission issue. It's very difficult shifting into gears.

Ok, just got a 1997 explorer sport (4.0) and was warned it has some shifting issues but not all the time. So yesterday it was shifting fine then all the sudden after i had been driving awhile it was a B!tch to get into first when at a complete stop (stick) so when i got to another stop i tested and it was a b1tch going into any gear from a stop, like i had to push really hard to get it to go in, but it didnt grind at all, or kick back out and it always went it, which i would think if the synchros were going that it would grind/kick out but it didnt do any of that. Also it only does it once the vehicle gets hot, and when i shut the vehicle off it goes into every gear fine, without any hesitation....

Any ideas? anybody ever have a problem like this? Havent really dug into it at all just wondering if anybody else ever experienced anything like this.

Expl0ring is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:46 PM   #2
my98nnj
Boonton, New Jersey
1998 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Sounds like the clutch isn't releasing all the way (drag).
my98nnj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:20 PM   #3
Expl0ring
Sikeston, Missouri
'97 Sport

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
thats what i was thinking also, but i was told it could possibly be that the pilot bearing is hanging on the input shaft and not releasing...

Old 12-18-2008, 07:59 PM   #4
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
I've moved, and renamed your thread to help you get more responses.
BrooklynBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:42 AM   #5
gijoecam
Village Idiot
Trenton, MI
98 ExSport, '00 F-150

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm with those guys... Either a clutch that's not releasing )could be a leaking slave cylinder or master cylinder or hose), or a pilot bearing siezing on the shaft. Neither one bodes well for it.

Try this: When it won't go into first, shut the engine off, put it in first, and re-start it. It's not a permanent fix, but it may let you limp it around for a bit.

-Joe

"We need to allow Darwinism take it's course and let the idiots weed themselves out of existance." ~ Rick Horwitz
We must believe in free will — we have no choice.
~ Isaac Bashevis Singer
I'm not smart, just a resourceful idiot. ~ Me
gijoecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:52 AM   #6
Premier
Panzerfaust™
Utah

96 sport

Vehicle Specs

this is very typical of the mazda 5 speed. mine has been like this for over 60k miles. i put it into first when im coming to a stop, around 5mph. i have had my clutch replaced to try and fix it, but its not the clutch

6" Suspension, Locked Front/Rear, 1354 Manual T-case
ARB Snorkel, and Custom Pinstriping
Premier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:25 AM   #7
91exploreron37
Bartlett Tn
91 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

Sounds like the slave cylinder is going bad. These transmissions are notorious for that.

91exploreron37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 05:21 AM   #8
Cstoliker
1995 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
My 95 has had a similar problem but it is not as severe and is more consistent. Manley just have trouble getting into first while at a dead stop. So I pop it into first just before coming to a complete stop. This may work for you to.
Cstoliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 05:58 AM   #9
FU MONSTER
pineville,nc
97 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

stupid question but did you check the fluid reservior to make sure there was enough brake fluid in it. sounds like the begginings of a slave cylinder problem.good luck.
FU MONSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 04:29 PM   #10
Expl0ring
Sikeston, Missouri
'97 Sport

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cstoliker View Post
My 95 has had a similar problem but it is not as severe and is more consistent. Manley just have trouble getting into first while at a dead stop. So I pop it into first just before coming to a complete stop. This may work for you to.
Yes this works for me, and its pretty consistant, and as of last night i drove around for about 30 mins, and it was TERRIBLE shifting into any gear while moving also..

could it still be the slave?

Old 01-01-2009, 09:27 PM   #11
4x4junkie
So.Calif.(San Fernando Valley)
'94 Ranger, '90 Bronco II

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Definitely sounds like the clutch isn't releasing all the way.

A leaky slave is a likely cause, yes (allowing air to enter the hydraulic system from the reservoir).

'94 Ranger XLT
6" Skyjacker, ARB D44 front, Detroit 8.8" rear, Atlas 4.3, 33s
4x4junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 02:40 PM   #12
Expl0ring
Sikeston, Missouri
'97 Sport

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I just got back from like a 10 minute trip and wow... it is absolutely TERRIBLE now.. idk what changed from the other day.. but now i have to about BREAK my wrist off to get it into first.. and then once im moving its not as bad.. but i still have to pull or push extremely hard to get into any gear... also my check engine light has been on since the vehicle was brand new and the coolant temp gauge hasent worked.. and now the light is off, and the temp gauge is working... but shifting is horrible now..

wtf is going on??

Old 01-02-2009, 04:14 PM   #13
HahnsB2
Battle Ground WA
88 Bronco II

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expl0ring View Post
I just got back from like a 10 minute trip and wow... it is absolutely TERRIBLE now.. idk what changed from the other day.. but now i have to about BREAK my wrist off to get it into first.. and then once im moving its not as bad.. but i still have to pull or push extremely hard to get into any gear... also my check engine light has been on since the vehicle was brand new and the coolant temp gauge hasent worked.. and now the light is off, and the temp gauge is working... but shifting is horrible now..

wtf is going on??
Everyone has already told you! You have a clutch hydraulics leak! Most likely the slave. It's not going to get better unless you fix it.

88 Bronco II EB, 4.0L, M5OD, 4.56s, Aussie Locked 8.8, Aussie Locked D35 w/e-clip eliminator, Manual 1354, 3" PA Body Lift, 34x10.5 Swamper LTBs, Warn Hubs, U-Joint Drive shaft, OBA, Custom bumpers front/rear, 2 1/2" Exhaust w/flowmaster 40 series.
95 Dakota Sport CC, 5.2, 5-Spd(Hurst), 4x4, M1, HS 1.7 RR's, Aero Turbine 3030/Side Exit, 50mm TB, 30x9.50s on 15x8 Ultra 50 Series, 3.55s.
HahnsB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:28 AM   #14
gijoecam
Village Idiot
Trenton, MI
98 ExSport, '00 F-150

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
As already mentioned... You likely have an issue with the clutch actuation mechanism... be it a hydraulic leak, or a bad master or slave cylinder, the problem is not going to heal itself and will only get worse the longer you let it go. Now, in addition to your initial hydraulic issue, you're putting excessive wear on your synchros and other internal parts of the transmission itself by trying to force it into gear when it won't go. If you EVER need to use excessive force to get a transmission to engage, there's something very wrong, and delaying the repair will only make it worse!

"We need to allow Darwinism take it's course and let the idiots weed themselves out of existance." ~ Rick Horwitz
We must believe in free will — we have no choice.
~ Isaac Bashevis Singer
I'm not smart, just a resourceful idiot. ~ Me
gijoecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:25 PM   #15
Expl0ring
Sikeston, Missouri
'97 Sport

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Ok, just got it to a shop yesterday to get the problem fixed, he drove it and said that its seems like a classic symptom of the slave cylinder being bad. He said that its a 6 hour job to get the transmission out. He said with labor, parts, fluids it will be $487 to do.

Does this sound like a reasonable price to replace the slave???

Old 01-07-2009, 12:41 PM   #16
Blackhawk_Mech
Killeen, Tx
97 Sport 3 Door 4.0 SOHC

Vehicle Specs

US

Mine has problems with first and second, mostly being second. And grinds on reverse, all the other gears work fine though. Its at 160k, im assuming the tranny is original.
Blackhawk_Mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:41 PM   #17
410Fortune
ELITE BRONCO2ERER
Crawlorado

B2 Mod

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
if you are replacing the slave cylinder you better damn well be putting in a new clutch and turning the flywheel

Clutch is CHEAP
$487 is VERY fair, get it in writing and make sure it includes a new clutch, I have seen it double by the time they are done

clutch job =
new slave cyl and throw out bearing
new clutch pack (driven disc, pressure plate)
new pilot bearing
turn the flywheel
+ labor

6 hours is about right, although I can do it in 4 myself with hand tools, I would expect a competent clutch shop to be able to do the full thing on a 4x4 in 3-4 hours max

Clutch is usually $500-1000 so your price seems very fair IF IT INCLUDES THE NEW CLUTCH
I like the LUK gold series clutch or centerforce

also your 5 speed may need a rebuild soon, many times the clutch is replaced and its still hard to get in the gears = synchros

Wifes 07 FJ build - 2007 FJ cruiser locked and lifted
410Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:45 PM   #18
Expl0ring
Sikeston, Missouri
'97 Sport

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
No, $487 is to replace the slave cylinder, he said nothing about the clutch. The transmission shifted FINE, then the next day i couldnt get it into gear. im Sure the transmission is fine.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:59 AM   #19
wdwacht
Elite Explorer
South Redondo Beach, CA

'97 Explorer Sport Manual

Vehicle Specs

Unhappy Same @#$%^ Shifting issues

Greetings, I have exactly the same issues even with a new clutch just installed and the internals check out. It's a beast to get into gear when it doesn't want to go; warmed up. The transmission guys said everything looks good, gears and all. And there was no evidence of fluid leaks. I'm wondering if maybe it's something in the shift linkage that hangs up, otherwise I've not a clue. This is my biggest complaint with my otherwise reliable lil buddy. Any ideas? I'm having it rechecked next week. And if a solution comes forth then for just $19.95 and a free Turnip Twaddler, no make that two Turnip Twaddlers, plus free shipping I'll send you the solution.
enjoy the weekend,
Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expl0ring View Post
Ok, just got a 1997 explorer sport (4.0) and was warned it has some shifting issues but not all the time. So yesterday it was shifting fine then all the sudden after i had been driving awhile it was a B!tch to get into first when at a complete stop (stick) so when i got to another stop i tested and it was a b1tch going into any gear from a stop, like i had to push really hard to get it to go in, but it didnt grind at all, or kick back out and it always went it, which i would think if the synchros were going that it would grind/kick out but it didnt do any of that. Also it only does it once the vehicle gets hot, and when i shut the vehicle off it goes into every gear fine, without any hesitation....

Any ideas? anybody ever have a problem like this? Havent really dug into it at all just wondering if anybody else ever experienced anything like this.

Last edited by wdwacht; 04-03-2009 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Additional information
wdwacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:09 AM   #20
solitary ogre
Surrey, B.C.
'91 explorer, '88 bll

Vehicle Specs

my '91's slave is leaking slowly, i learned to put it in neutral while at a stop light or in slow traffic to ease the pressure off the hydraulics. instead of having to top up the reservoir with a couple ounces of brake fluid every week i now go about 3 weeks. eventually it will have to be done.
my '88 bronco ll has 389,000 kilometers on it and it still has the original master and slave unit in it.
solitary ogre is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page