• Register Today It's free!

seafoam, Does it work?

contrail

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT 4.0 SOHC
I have herd a few people rave about seafoam and how it helped but im still slightly skeptical..
has anyone else used seafoam?
What do you think about it?
btw my 97 explorer has over 800,000 and never seafoamed.. I herd if its got high miles it could do damage.
:feedback:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

its the original engine and tranny.. like i said in another post.. I keep all the fluids changed and i drive it like i stole it. anytime i drive a car slow or "baby" it. it seems to develop problems.
the O/D light has been blinking for about a year now but i dont notice any difference in driving.
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh99/mattsmetal/yeah/HHO/DSCF1524.jpg

The only other person that I came across on this site with such high mileage is this guy with 700K: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2073102#post2073102. Anyway, getting back to the Seafoam, the only real way to tell is to open the engine before & after, but most likely it does work to some extent. It's like motor flush which loosens carbon deposits which are coagulated.

well... the ford dealership calls it a miracle.. I call it luck :thumbsup:
well i would say 90% of the miles are highway. I drive 70 miles to and from work every day and for one year on the weekends I drove to see my mother that was on chemotherapy 300 miles away. the truck never gets a break. If im not driving it my wife or son is. I guess thats a new record huh? :cool:

I was thinking it might loosen TOO much carbon at once. seeing as it has a lot of miles. is this a valid concern?

wow I just did the math.. that works out to be about 205 miles every day from the day i bought it.
I can see it..

I use every 6 months. Was afraid to try it for 18 months; but after I did my first, I was hooked.....BUT.......with 800k miles??? Wow. You might let loose some gook and block the oil screen. Congrats on that many miles. Your Ex owes you nothing.

I just have a feeling I will be part of that small percentage that will have something foul up :banghead:
ok.. i'll do it some time next week.. who wants me to take a vid of my 800,000 explooper blowing out this junk?
.. i need a poll :p:

I used a whole bottle of seafoam and a half a gallon water to remove the carbon from my engine. After I did this I took of the lower intake manifold to see all the head and intake runners full of thick carbon. So i don't believe it is going to remove any heavy stuff. My x has 164,000 on it, so I am sure yours has more carbon than mine did. I had to scrape out each runner with a metal scraper and wire brush while sucking the crap up with a shop vac. After I did this I got rid of my idle and low rpm misfires.

I use sea foam all the time and love it, If the motor is really carboned up i will pull an intake vacuum line and suck about half the bottle into the intake and turn it off and let it sit for about 15 minutes and then start it up and it does make a difference. Also when i had my motorcycle i was coming back from iowa to mn and i put some in the gas and about after 60 miles my bike just started to accell on its own even though i was holding the throttle at the same location it jumped from 65 to 73 so i pulled off thinking something was wrong but no there was some gunk in the carb that cleaned it out and man did that bike run great after that and i picked up about 2 miles more a gallon after that. I also put a full bottle in the tank about every 10000 miles or so.

thanks for the feed back guys!
how much does a bottle cost?
some people say let it sit for 10 minutes but i've also herd of people saying 30. recommendations?

yea man, it works...

i use it whenever im cleaning out engines... use it all the time at work when im working on bikes

great stuff

who wants me to take a vid of my 800,000 explooper blowing out this junk?
.. i need a poll :p:

:thumbsup:

I also want to see a photo of the odo w/ 800K. :p:

Not that I don't believe you. :D

:thumbsup:

I also want to see a photo of the odo w/ 800K. :p:

Not that I don't believe you. :D

check out the third post in the thread- ^^^^^^^^ photobucket pic!!;)

well that WAS a pic of it - 824,x..

DSCF1524.jpg

It was in my cache.

Call me skeptical. Engine maybe. If it was the OHV I'd believe it more. Tranny no way in hell.

DSCF1524.jpg

Mine is low mileage with only 119k.

It says that the pic has been removed or deleted.

I would love to see a pic of the odo. That way I could print it out and say yea **** you to all the people who tell me foreign cars last longer.

As far as using seafoam. I swear by it and it works great for me, but if you want my honest opinion I would say don't use it. You engine lasted 800,000 miles without it and I would not rock the boat.

DSCF1524.jpg

It was in my cache.

Call me skeptical. Engine maybe. If it was the OHV I'd believe it more. Tranny no way in hell.

Well there's the pic. Don't mean to be rude but it looks like its photoshopped. first 3 numbers are whiter then the last 3.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well there's the pic. Don't mean to be rude but it looks like its photoshopped. first 3 numbers are whiter then the last 3.
its not photoshopped. its just how it is.. even the right side of the speedometer numbers are whiter than the left side.. 10-50 mph or so vs. 80-120 mph
i swear its the same engine and tranny. neither has been replaced or overhauled.. the transmission had some work done on it around 500k it cost me $500...
and the obvious water pump, radiator, alt, a/c work, brake work, 2 windshields, one back glass (broken in to), like 6 sets of bearings, idk if its just how the explorer is but they practically eat bearings.

Back