Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum > Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum

Notices

Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum Ford Ranger and Mazda B Series forums. The Mazda B2300 B3000 and B4000 are clones of the Ford Ranger, with all systems the same. The only differences are trim and a few body parts. This forum discusses Ford Ranger and Mazda B series specific issues. Owners of the older Mazda B2000 B2200 and B2600 are welcome as well.

Leaking slave cylinder when cold outside

Old 12-17-2008, 11:19 PM   #1
MDub
Silverthorne, CO
99 XLT Flex Fuel

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Leaking slave cylinder when cold outside

I have had this problem for over 3 years and 50,000 miles now and it is really annoying.
When it's below freezing outside and I go to start my truck I can feel the clutch pedal is a little stiff. Then when I put it in gear and let out the clutch a little bit, I can hold the pedal at about 1 inch off the floor and it acts like I have let the clutch out all the way. When I depress the pedal again it does not fully disengage the clutch and the stick is stuck in gear, I put my foot on the brake and stall the engine. Now I have leaked about 1/4 of the reservoir of clutch fluid, and the clutch has no resistance until about 1 inch off the floor.
Then I fill up the reservoir, pump up the pedal, and go. I'll be good for the whole day (unless it's about -10 in which the problem can repeat in a few hours). Next morning - same problem.
I talked to a guy at a tranny shop when it first happened and he said it's possible the o-ring seals are shrinking when its cold and allowing fluid to pass by. Three times it has drawn air back and I have had to bleed the clutch in the nearest parking lot.
Sorry for the long post. Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this? What can I do short of replacing the slave cylinder?
Thanks for all your ideas!
Mike
MDub is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 12-20-2008, 01:36 AM   #2
who_krs
kamloops,bc
1994 xl

Vehicle Specs

sounds like the same issue I'm having

sorry I don't have any info but I'm curious to hear what people have to say

hope you get it figuered out
who_krs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:14 PM   #3
Damonkr
Cottage Grove, OR
2002 Ranger fx4 7"&35's

Vehicle Specs

I had this problem a few years back.(aprox 45,000mi at the time) Besides being a pain it can ruin your clutch pretty easy. Mine finally quit working all together (as i recall it was apretty cold day not sure if that was related.)

The clutch was completely saturated with fluid so i replaced the pressure plate and disc. The slave cylinders are a poor design in my oppinion but that what we are stuck wtih.

I would look into a new slave cylinder before it gets really tricky to drive. Unfortunately you will have to remove the trans to fix it.
Damonkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 12:34 AM   #4
MDub
Silverthorne, CO
99 XLT Flex Fuel

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
At this point I don't feel that it will ruin my clutch since I have lived with it for over 3 years now. Even on super cold days like -20 (not windchill) it will work with some persuasion. Sometimes I will keep fluid in my apartment so its warm when I put it in and this seems to help a bit. My clutch doesn't slip at all and has 80,000 miles on it. I just find it totally annoying and inconvenient. I'm waiting until I need to change the clutch to replace the slave cylinder and anything else that wears out in there.

It's really weird that it only leaks under pressure when cold, and the reverse gear is especially bad.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:01 AM   #5
Damonkr
Cottage Grove, OR
2002 Ranger fx4 7"&35's

Vehicle Specs

No syncros in reverse.
Damonkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 12:07 AM   #6
Ranger Al
Fresno, California
'00 FX4 Ranger

Vehicle Specs

Look like time for new clutch kit.

1. XLT Ranger 4dr 4.0 5 spd 4X4-> K&N filter, grill insert, Stainless steel skid plate, 98 Mountaineer front axles swap, factory motor transplanted and new clutch kit, 3" Flowmaster 40 dual outlet, hard bedcover, JamesDuff traction bars, Bilstien shocks.
2. 1999 K1200RS BMW motorcycle <fast German technology>
3. 2005 Suzuki XL 7, the only small SUV with 7 passengers I could effort under $15K
4. 1970 VW project -needs exhaust, interior, extrical parts..
Ranger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 07:37 AM   #7
MDub
Silverthorne, CO
99 XLT Flex Fuel

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Is it your consensus that my slave cylinder will eventually fail completely. Again, I've been living with it for 3 years and 50,000 miles. In the summer there is no problem with it at all. Only when it's below freezing outside. During the winter I probably go through 1 to 1.5 large bottles of brake fluid. The leaked fluid comes out of the front of my transmission bell housing.

Do you all think I'm on the verge of failure - I don't feel like it is from my personal experience with it.

Has anyone heard of o-ring shrinkage due to cold causing fluid leakage?

My personal belief is that once I put pressure on the fluid it gets warmer causing the seals to expand and seat themselves and the leak is closed until it gets cold enough to shrink again.

What do you think?
Old 01-14-2009, 04:10 PM   #8
99sportxplor3
Dover
2000 sport

Vehicle Specs

i have the same prob recently in my 2000 sport...if its around 10 degrees(as it often is at night) the seals will shrink and i lose fluid and therefore pressure. i start it up in neutral to warm up the seals and then its fine as long as the resevoir is full and i dont pump air into the system. If its warm out i dont even have to worry about it...im just going to wait until either my clutch or slave cylinder completely goes then ill replace both...its gona be a bitch to replace. Im hoping i can ride it out the rest of the winter...i think i can considering the problem just started and youve gone 3 years on yours
99sportxplor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:48 PM   #9
MDub
Silverthorne, CO
99 XLT Flex Fuel

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
If your problem is the same as mine, and it sounds like it is, then I wouldn't worry about making it through the winter. Mine has not changed over the three years it has been happening.

It's totally weird and most people think I'm crazy when I describe the problem to them. On the plus side, if someone tries to steal my truck in the winter (9 months of the year where I live) they'll end up stranded close to my apartment. On the down side no one else can drive my truck.

Edit: I think the key here is that you can warm it up and the cylinder won't leak.

Last edited by MDub; 01-19-2009 at 07:49 AM.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:53 AM   #10
99sportxplor3
Dover
2000 sport

Vehicle Specs

haha i know i said the same thing...no one can steal my truck in the winter.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:12 PM   #11
99sportxplor3
Dover
2000 sport

Vehicle Specs

its been 45 degrees and above these last couple weeks and i havnt lost any fluid whatsoever and my clutch is stiff as hell lol. im wondering if something is clogging the leak or if it was just a matter of the seals expanding with the warm weather. Either way im not going to worry about it until next winter...
Old 02-19-2009, 07:31 PM   #12
MDub
Silverthorne, CO
99 XLT Flex Fuel

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Mine doesn't leak when it's warm out either. If your experiencing the same problem as I am then I think it will be back next winter. I've gotten used to mine at this point. When the clutch is worn out I'll change the slave cylinder until then it's just a PITA but not worth the money/ effort to drop the tranny.

My leak always goes away in the summer and comes back in the winter. Therefore it must be cold related, and rubber seals are the only thing I can think of as being vulnerable to the cold. 3 winters in a row now. However, where I live the winter lasts 9 months. Oh well, I still love my Ranger, and it's paid off. Why do I complain?
Old 03-02-2009, 11:28 AM   #13
Shirl
93 Ranger XLT

Vehicle Specs

93 Ranger Clutch Hard to Push

I lose fluid very slowly all the time. Have to top up fluid every couple of months. Has been doing this over 4 years. Weather has nothing to do with it.

See Ford bulletin #97-22-17. http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...rer-4x4-clutch

Also see http://www.autozone.com/N,23201222/s...pecsSelect.htm

I just found this info this morning. Hope it helps. I'm going to wait for warmer weather to check it out.
Shirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:07 PM   #14
Animal75
Chicopee, MA
'99 XLT 4.0L 4x4 5sp

Vehicle Specs

Same Issue

I'm new to this site as of today and the reason for even finding it is that my truck is in the shop right now getting this very same issue taken care of. My clutch just happened to go out on the coldest day of the year and like one of you, when I asked if the cold had anything to do with it, I was looked at like I was crazy.
From my understanding, this issue will cause the idle speed to run high, which will in turn cause the clutch to eventually wear out. It can also cause the check engine light to come on. Who knows what other secondary issues it will cause?
Basically, the transmission was hauled out and the plate and the slave cylinder are being replaced. Not looking forward to the price tag. Nice to know that I am not alone and I hope to learn something as I am a mechanical idiot. I learned a lot so far.
Animal75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:19 AM   #15
theskibum
Logan, UT
2000 ranger XLT

Vehicle Specs

i am also having the same problem.
i was wondering if anyone tried putting a block heater in to keep it warmer? would that possibly work? let me know what you think
theskibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:57 AM   #16
riverbum
L.A. aka lower alabama
'05 FX4

Vehicle Specs

mdub, i think you have been hanging out at the mountain lion cafe too long lol. that was my favorite place to eat when i drove busses at keystone.
riverbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:05 PM   #17
billbr
Alpharetta, Ga
'92 Ranger

Vehicle Specs

It will FAIL and you wom't go anywhere While you have it apart ,replace the clutch too .
You can use DOT 4 fluid in an emergency. billbr
billbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:03 PM   #18
MDub
Silverthorne, CO
99 XLT Flex Fuel

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Hey, Riverbum, I love the Mountain lion cafe. Great breakfast!!

The clutch is still acting the same as every other winter. Sometimes it sucks air back up and I have to bleed it on the side of the road. I keep that wrench in my glove box. Luckily my wife and I just bought a condo across the street from my job so I can let it sit for the most part. Unfortunately my HOA requires it be moved if we get more than 3" of snow so the plow can clear the lot. Also unfortunate that my wife will not give up the garage spot. Oh well. Probably have it replaced before next winter. 90K on the clutch now. That's pretty decent.

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page