Explorer wont go into drive

Bummed

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 explorer
Hey all.

During one of our trips home from the cleveland clinic we stopped by to take a bite to eat and when we tried to leave our truck would not go into drive. Untill then only one time did it have a problem, I shift it from park to drive and got nothing then a few seconds later it went and shifted fine.

Now It takes forever to go into drive, but once it does it drives and shifts fine. Not sure what to do, we really need that thing we are waiting to get on the transplant list for a heart and gotta figure out whats up. It does however have reverse, shifts right in no problems.

I have replaced the fluid and filter so far and that didnt help. Someone said its something in there thats electronic. But Iam clueless.

Any of you have an idea on whats going on so I can get it going. ?

Its a 1994 explorer limited edition 4x4 auto trans with OD with a V6. The 4x4 dont work either but wasnt rushing to fix that, not sure if thats all tied in somehow or what. I have had it almost a year and the 4x4 took a poo the very week I bought it.

Any help would be great guys.

Oh sorry if I posted this in the wrong place.

/me kicks self

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It could be a few things such as a clogged filter, bad valve body gaskets, loose valve body bolts, sticking spools in the valve body or a bad boost valve. How many miles does it have? Check the pressure with a 0-300 PSI pressure gauge on the rear test port. # 10 in my list of useful threads has more information on this procedure.

It has 100 thousand plus, and a new filter and fluid. I will read that thread you speak of.

Not to sure it has anything to do with pressure. iam thinking its more vacuum or electronic problem.

hope someone knows!

I have had no complaints about my 1993 2 door with automatic transmission at all I love it! and it was working fine till it would not go into gear. I took the 4x4 off while in park in a parking lot, and then shut the engine off. 2hrs later when I came back I started the vehicle and tried to put it in drive. I could feel it go into gear but it would not move. I put it in reverse, 1,2,D,& OD. it would not move! then when I would put it in park there was a grinding noise as if it was a a manual that did not have the clutch fully drpressed. I checke the tranny fluid and it was fine and not burnt. i called and had it towed home. when the tow truck driver took it off the lift he put it in park and my explorer started to roll away! I need to know what is going on because my regular mechanic is away for a month and I need to have it working ASAP. has this happened to anyone before or knows what is wrong. I bought this last month and I only have 175,000ish kms on it. I figured that it might need one of the following a new filter and fluid, shift solenoid, kickdown cable, or heaven forbid a rebuild. Do any of you know about this and which might be the best way to get this on the road in 4 days?

hope someone knows!

I cant use my 4x4 either!

Back