Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, & Differentials

Notices

Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, & Differentials Transmissions, Transfer Cases. A4LD, 4R70W, 4R44E, 4R55E, 5R44E, 5R55E, M5OD, BW 1354, Control Trac, GEM, AWD. Ford 8.8", Dana 35

Differential fluid change.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:57 AM   #1
akcrxnj
Ogdensburg, New Jersey
99 Sport

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Differential fluid change.

All - I was searching the site looking for a how-too in regards to changing out the fluid in the front and rear diffs. Does anyone know if this information is posted up on forum? Is the fluid change hard to do? I have a 99 explorer sport 4wd. Thanks.
akcrxnj is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:01 AM   #2
cybergasm
B
Humboldt Ks

1997 Mountaineer 5.0

Vehicle Specs

i believe the front is gonna the bigger PITA since it's stuffed in the front end but basically for either end you remove the bolts from the covers except for a couple at the top just loosen them get your drain bucket underneath and crack open the covers and let it drain out. then remove the covers reseal em bolt then back on and refill the diffs.

about all there is to it not entirely difficult just time consuming.

Dunno about any stickies on here but I sure someone will be along to post one for ya.
cybergasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:14 AM   #3
Cobraguy
Elite Explorer
Phoenix...Greatest City on Earth

1995 EB & 1999 EB 5.0

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
For the rear, remove the cover, drain, clean, reseal, and fill.

For the front, purchase a suction gun, remove the fill plug, fish the hose to the bottom of the housing, and suction the gear lube out. Be sure to have the lube warm first. Alternatively, there are many shops that have a machine that is designed to do all that very easily. Call and ask if they have the capability to service a diff by sucking the old oil out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by four0sport
she is a girl, there are no answers, only more questions!
Cobraguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:33 AM   #4
Four0Sport
Elite Explorer
West Virginia

1993 Sport, 1997 5.0

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
x2 on the suction gun. i also used it to fill the rear with fluid, the fill plug on the 8.8 is in a weird spot that makes working on it while laying on your back on gravel kind of a pain.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:09 PM   #5
akcrxnj
Ogdensburg, New Jersey
99 Sport

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thanks all - I have a suction gun and will probably be going that route. One last question I had was what type of gear oil should be used in the diffs?
Old 12-31-2008, 06:17 PM   #6
IZwack
Moderator Emeritus
Germantown, MD

1998 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by akcrxnj View Post
Thanks all - I have a suction gun and will probably be going that route. One last question I had was what type of gear oil should be used in the diffs?
Page 248-249 of your owners manual.

Or if you dont have one, download a PDF copy from:
http://www.motorcraftservice.com/?li.../99expog1e.pdf

Old 12-31-2008, 07:09 PM   #7
Four0Sport
Elite Explorer
West Virginia

1993 Sport, 1997 5.0

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
dont they call for 75/140 synthetic with friction modifier? its expensive, i just use valvoline 80/90 and a tube of friction modifier.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:48 AM   #8
akcrxnj
Ogdensburg, New Jersey
99 Sport

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I was looking at the manual and it states that the front should get 80w90 and the rear either 80w90 or 85w140 + friction modifiers. I noticed some threads where it looks like some forum members just went ahead and used 85w140 in both front and rear. I was thinking of doing this as it would be convenient to use the same oil in both diffs. Is there an issue with running the 85w140 in both front and rear? Lastly I noticed that Royal Purple makes a gear oil which states you do not need any additional friction modifiers.

Royal Purple Gear Oil - http://www.royalpurple.com/gear-oil.html
Old 01-01-2009, 11:03 AM   #9
Cobraguy
Elite Explorer
Phoenix...Greatest City on Earth

1995 EB & 1999 EB 5.0

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I have seen posi chattering from Royal Purple in our Cobras. I would use the modifier with it if it were me. You can also add it later if you need it and try it like it is. As to what oil, you are on your own if you deviate from factory recommended fluids. However, let's get real. We all know there are outstanding products we can use. Synthetics for example. I'm not going to tell you to use 85W-140 in the front diff. What I am going to say is there are Explorers running around just fine with it in there. Hope that helps you decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by four0sport
she is a girl, there are no answers, only more questions!
Cobraguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page