• Register Today It's free!

Cabin Air Filter

Togman

Reaction score
City, State
Va Beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 4x4
Anyone know where the Cabin Air filter is located on a 2000 4dr XLT? My dealer sent me a post card service reminder and along with an oil change etc, it mentioned it.

I looked behind the glove box but do not see anywhere that it coold be unless you take most of the dash apart??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, on my 1999, it doesn't have one. Not sure on a 2000, but it would surprise me

I'm 99% sure you don't have one, I don't think they were introduced until 2002

Weird. I'm 99.9% sure my '97 Mountaineer has one.

Weird. I'm 99.9% sure my '97 Mountaineer has one.

wait, if you have one then I probably have one too.. care to tell me where I can find it? :D

It's an old Ford, doesn't have it. New ones don't either.

hahaha ill sell anyone one for $500 ;) :D

That's a cabin vent...I don't know of any filter there.

A cabin filter will be located where the climate control system pulls air in from outside. It will look more like an engine air filter. You have not found one.

A cabin filter will be located where the climate control system pulls air in from outside. It will look more like an engine air filter. You have not found one.

Yes , however the negative air pressure caused while on high also pulls air in from the hatch area. So, all of you are right. :p:

Now, let's all have a nice day ok?

The 95+ continentals have cabin filters by the passenger side cowl, where the fan blower is.

There is a filter in the hatch. I took the pic at 2:30 in the morning so it was dark and I couldn't tell how close I was. I saw the filter last year when I had the hatch panel off. Take a flash light and look. You will see the filter. I even saw a ford part number for it.

According to the local stealership I talked to a while ago, there is no cabin filter in any 2nd gen. I find it odd that the '97 Mounty would have one but no others seem to. Not doubting you, but.....

i just looked at my 97 mounty in broad daylight. looking at the vent grill on the tailgate, i see a plastic part behind it with a ford part number (as described), with what appears to be a filter element in it. upon sticking my fingers into it, this "element" is actually a rubber flap. no filter there. myth busted!

oh, and this flap pushes open toward the outside, so the hatch does not draw air in. it is merely an escape to balance the air the climate control box brings into the cabin.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

oh, and this flap pushes open toward the outside, so the hatch does not draw air in. it is merely an escape to balance the air the climate control box brings into the cabin.
Or to keep your ears from popping when you shut the doors? :dunno:

Back