Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Offroad Tech Forums > Offroad Explorer - Ranger Projects > Offroad Fabrication - Bumpers, Sliders, Cages etc.

Notices

Offroad Fabrication - Bumpers, Sliders, Cages etc. For the Ford Explorer and Ranger entusiasts who like to build their own rock sliders, bumpers, rollcages etc.

2nd Gen Rock Sliders

Old 09-08-2010, 07:11 PM   #61
turboexplorer
Elite Explorer
Eagle Mountain, UT

98' XLT 5.0L 4X4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpease15 View Post
Dang, you did a very good job in making rock sliders! Will you make me some and I'll pay you? haha, I'm planning on making rock sliders soon but have no idea where to start yet.
Follow the thread and it goes through what I did with mine. Also i got the idea of my bolt on ones from this thread and all those who have done these as well.
Slider thread

-1979 Trans Am Sold 11/2/13
http://www.explorerforum.com/photopo...5/May_2013.jpg
turboexplorer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:08 AM   #62
mynameisaric
Bolingbrook, IL

98 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
the sliders look amazing, the only thing that concerns me is how close they are to the body. Maybe its just because i have a body lift, but my frame flexes a lot.

But i'll say it again, those sliders are beautiful! It'll be a shame to scratch them up, but it would be a sin not to!

Old 09-27-2010, 09:49 AM   #63
turboexplorer
Elite Explorer
Eagle Mountain, UT

98' XLT 5.0L 4X4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thanks! I really like the way they look. They are 1/2" away from the body so yes close but not sitting right on the body. I know the frame flexs a lot but with it all being big 2X4 steel if it bumps the body a little that's fine it will only touch big flat areas. I did it partly for looks, I didn't want to be able to see between the body and the slider when you are standing right to the side of it. Will let you know, maybe even take some flexed pis, when we head out to use them.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:19 PM   #64
turboexplorer
Elite Explorer
Eagle Mountain, UT

98' XLT 5.0L 4X4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Went and ran Rattlesnake and constrictor this last weekend and where way fun trails. It is getting over lots of boulders and around them and trees. The sliders worked great!!!! At one point I had most the weight on the sliders you could rock the rig front to back with just 1 hand. Slid them very hard several times and came out great never even under full flex touched the body and the powdercoat even stayed on, just scratched it! Would have been lots of body damage if trying to do these trails in near stock form with no sliders! I did smash my radiator slightly so a new front skid plate is in order.

Last edited by turboexplorer; 03-13-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:48 AM   #65
turboexplorer
Elite Explorer
Eagle Mountain, UT

98' XLT 5.0L 4X4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Just finished my front skid plate, here is a link to it. 2nd Gen Front Skid Plate

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page