power steering problems mike boyle help please you probably know what to do | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

power steering problems mike boyle help please you probably know what to do

BIG-B

Reaction score
hey everyone

i think blew my power steering box

the steering got hard
and check under the hood
and hydralic fluid everywhere
and steering box shakes around

has everyone broke this
or can mike boyle help me
please give me some advice

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not quite sure what happened. It is the box on the frame that is shaking, or the pump on the engine. I have never heard of a box blowing out on an Explorer, but it isn't impossible. From the sound of it I think you blew a hose and ran the pump dry. If you can give me some more information I might be able to help.

yeah it is the box on the frame
steering is still hard
the cover is loose
the lines don't seem to be loose
the box is loose cover of it loose

Damn! Like I said I have never seen an Explorer blow out the steering box, but it sure sounds like yours is. If this is the case your best bet is to either locate a good used box or a rebuilt unit, and replace the box. I know this isn't what you want to hear, but from your description it sounds like the only solution.

I just had to replace my steering box the day before thanksgiving. Symtpons: loose steering, hard steering. One day before replacement, steering plays was about 90 degrees, very hard to steer right.

I and my uncle did the job in one evening, started at 530 finished at 1130. He said he never thought those went out either but mine did.

BC

its okay its been acting up for months
but i finally blew it out
i probably get rebuilt one thanx guys
myexp do you have any tip advice on the
installing a new box

If I ever turn the wheel with the engine off, the top on the pump will usually pop almost completely off, and the fluid will go all over the underside of the hood. Maybe you did that and the fluid spewed out and ruined the pump?

I have good news for your box fix. Ford did something fairly smart for once. The steering box is the exactly the same from the Ranger to F350s from 1980 to 1997 or so. All you have to do is find a wrecking yard with any Ford 4x4 with low miles and presto. Much cheaper than a rebuilt. The box will take a few hours but isn't to bad of a job. Don't forget to check for frame cracks around the box mount.

thanx clark91jo
i got 81 truck box
and sure enough its the same box
the weather is terrible so haven't
done anything with it yet and
cleaning the outside of the box
and checking the pump

Back