• Register Today It's free!

"Check Charging System"

04FExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Burlington, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Eddie Bauer Edtn 4x4
I drive a 2004 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition, last week the "Check Charging System" came on I knew it was either the battery or alternator, so I went and had the diagnostics done to see which it was, my alternator passed but the battery was bad, I put a new battery in on Sunday and everything seemed fine until lastnight. It keeps showing the same thing. I have hit the info it indicates that the charging system is ok but it still goes off ... I am assuming it would be the alternator due to that being the actual charging component? Should I be replacing any wires.....also not sure if this is the same issue there is a rattling sound near the alternator, the belt is tight not squealing.....an experienced opinion would be great!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It could either be your ilder pulley or your belt tensioner assembly? Which could be slowing the charging process in the system?[QUOTE=04FExplorer;2116159]I drive a 2004 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition, last week the "Check Charging System" came on I knew it was either the battery or alternator, so I went and had the diagnostics done to see which it was, my alternator passed but the battery was bad, I put a new battery in on Sunday and everything seemed fine until lastnight. It keeps showing the same thing. I have hit the info it indicates that the charging system is ok but it still goes off ... I am assuming it would be the alternator due to that being the actual charging component? Should I be replacing any wires.....also not sure if this is the same issue there is a rattling sound near the alternator, the belt is tight not squealing.....an experienced opinion would be great![/QUOTE]

I would start checking all of my pulleys and or anything else that the drive belt rus off of, one of these aforementioned items could be impeding the charging process? The rattle being a clear indicator for starters, again check the idler pulley and the pulley on the tensioner too.

Best Regards:)

Thank you I will check those today and see. Now the "Check Charging System" message isnt coming on it is just the battery light that flickers on and off with tons of beeping.

Thank you for your response!

So I went to take my car in, I told the service desk that I wanted my idler and tensioner pulleys checked, he looked at me weird, he put it thru, when the mechanic looked at my car he put it on the AVR and told me that my alternator was bad, I just had an AVR done last week on Wesdnesday and it was fine it had passed.
Yesterday they told me that the alternator was at 11.75, I know that is low, however, they tried talking me into a new alternator, being a woman they were giving me the run around.

I told the guy just to replace the pulleys and he told me that had nothing to do with the alternator, however, I would tend to take the advice of someone with an unbiased opinion so I faught with the guy, he bet his paycheque that I was wrong with the pulleys, when in turn I said this is what I brought it in for this is what I want done. He wasnt to happy, however, I had the tensioner and idler pulley done and the battery light/check charging system has not gone off since they fixed it last night.

Due to your advice, should I still be changing my alternator or will it be fine now that I have replaced the two pulleys?

The rattling noise I indicated in my first message, he had my car up on the hoist and i was listening to it, there is a bolt in my crank pulley and the only way of getting it out "we tried" would be to take off the pulley and take it out. How it got in there is beyond me.!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!

Jamie

Back