96 5.0 AWD SAS and 4406 for 35" tires | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 5.0 AWD SAS and 4406 for 35" tires

That's my plan in a nutshell

I purchased a '85 Grand Wagoneer Dana 44 front axle last year from a local scrap yard and spend the summer and fall tearing it down, cleaning, and inspecting it.

DSCN2625.jpg

after I made an axle dolly, i started cleaning it out and making a mess of my driveway

DSCN2657.jpg

after a LOT of cleaning/painting and tearing off unneeded parts I ended up with this

[I'll take a picture when I get home]

I also purchased a 98 F150 Borg Warner 4406... which I paid a little too much for, but it has a warranty and it's the 98 with the speedometer gear in it (saves me some headaches later on)

DSCN2665.jpg

And the other week I finally decided on a suspension (saying it'll fit my axle housing). I love Xtreme 4X4 and back when they were building Suburban gorilla they used a Dodge front suspension on a Dana 60... this got me thinking. I wanted a link style coil setup because it'll ride nicer and provide a little more flex, but I don't want to use huge coil over shocks and I don't need huge articulation. I really don't want to use a leaf setup either as that will be a hard ride on the highway (dual use rig).

Now for the roadblocks

1. I tried to change my spark plugs back in august and #7 sheared off. I tried every method to remove it under the sun and it fell in the cylinder... so I'm waiting for warmer weather to pull the head and clean it out.

2. I need a welder

3. steering... I was going to see if I could find a bronco steering box, but I might as well buy a new one or rebuilt because I know I'm going to pull a leaker

4. Drive shafts

5. what size dodge suspension lift, and which junk yard am I pulling axle mounts from, lol

6. 5 or 6 lugs?.. I have both for the front axle, and I found adapters for either in the rear, the wheels I want are 6X5.5 but cheap steel rims in 5X5.5 might be better

7. tires. I really don't know what to use. I was thinking of BFG all terrains or mud terrains. I need something that will be good for Michigan trail runs, but also for highway and snow use. I had stock sized all terrains and loved them.

this list will grow as I start working on it.
Right now plan B for the motor is a used motor, and plan C is to throw the whole rig through an auction and buy another used explorer (they grow on trees up here)

Right now my rig is sitting behind a shed on the farm plugged into a trickle charger for the winter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

UPDATE

since I have $0 I am going to do the 4WD swap first

I got driveshafts yesterday but they need to be shortened
I ordered shifter parts today should be in thursday

hopefully I'll be installing next week

productive day at the junkyard. I found a 2000 F150 with a manual shift BW4406 unfortunately I already ordered my lower shifting gear from ford, but I was able to get the boots and stick and knob for $7

here's my haul, I have the inner and outer F150 boot, a geo boot and a 80's S-10 blazer boot from a transmission shifter

DSCN3222.jpg

my final combo will be a F150 inner boot and S-10 blazer outer as I like the simulated vinyl appearance, looks old school muscle carish

DSCN3221.jpg

got the interior out thursday and got the skids, driveshafts and almost the gas tank today... the 4 lines are hard to get

clean and pretty

DSCN3223.jpg

I think that PBblaster mark is where I hit, I'll verify and mark it up soon

DSCN3224.jpg

junk

DSCN3225.jpg

painted up my skids with bed liner

DSCN3226.jpg

what the neighbors get to see

DSCN3227.jpg

Shifter is fitted, might patch the rear of the hole, but the boot covers it all

DSCN3228.jpg

give me enough straps and I'll remove my own head

DSCN3229.jpg

test fit, plenty of room, I did already clearance the floor

DSCN3230.jpg

further proof the 4.6 rear shaft is too long, its all I could find and I got it for $50 so I'll have it shortened

DSCN3231.jpg

I want to check the front shaft and I'll call it a night

tomorrow's supposed to be rainy, so I'll have the driveshafts shortened and get some gaskets for putting things back together

Looking good so far. :thumbsup:

I dont know if you're going to like the Dodge suspension or not. Even a regular cab 4x4 is alot heavier than your Explorer- i think the springs are going to be really stiff on your rig.

You're almost better trying to find a smaller lighter truck to take suspension off of... like a older 'yota or "heep", right now I have coils and buckets off a E250 van, I'm waiting to get a front axle, and all well be done while I put the 5.0 that I pulled out of another explorer in my sport.

Looking good so far. :thumbsup:

I dont know if you're going to like the Dodge suspension or not. Even a regular cab 4x4 is alot heavier than your Explorer- i think the springs are going to be really stiff on your rig.

obviously I'd use lighter coils, but the idea of off the shelf parts is intriguing

there's a guy in the second gen forums designing a SAS 6" kit, I'm hoping to use that

$250 or so to have the driveshafts shortened and the double cardan rebuilt... OUCH, but at least its done right

I'll probably sell these shafts to anyone doing this mod after I lift and SAS it

interior finished (pictures from the mock-up but its the same)

DSCN3233.jpg

DSCN3234.jpg

changed the rear badging. 4X4 representing!

DSCN3235.jpg

lookin good is this gunna be your DD also or just for fun? i wannna swap but am wondering on how it would affect the daily use and abuse...the mockup looks good from the drivers seat the stick is a perfect height.

this is a fun truck primarily, I tend to only drive my car on longer treks as it gets better mileage. I use the truck for local trips and such. I want to be able to use it as a DD if I want to, but I did buy another DD just in case and for when the truck is down

the biggest problem I'm having right now is that my front axle is on it's last leg due to leaking seals and starving it of oil for the past 3-4 years (I fill it every 4-6 months)

it's going to behave like a normal 4X4 truck.

OH and if you have the trans skid you need to space it down, I haven't taken pictures yet because I don't like my temporary solution and am exploring a better way of spacing it

I thought that the skid-plate issue was covered in the other threads? I think they made spacers for the bolts to drop it down 1/4 or 1/2 an inch if I remember correctly.

Looks nice man.

I thought that the skid-plate issue was covered in the other threads? I think they made spacers for the bolts to drop it down 1/4 or 1/2 an inch if I remember correctly.

it is covered... if you read that part.

the one main thread isnt not in the main list... but it should be

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back