95tm heads | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95tm heads

The crack between the valves I've always been able to see.. The crack on the shoulder we couldn't see until it was fluxed.. and even then it was hard to see.

~Mark

man a leak down test wouldnt tell you anything with those cracked places right? i guess if i got water in the valve cover or oil in my water then its just safe to say it a cracked head?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you take it to a good shop they will flux them before they do anything.. and they should be able to tell you if the heads are good.. IF they aren't and they are repairable they should repair them for you (not that bad)..

OR.. you can just buy new blanks and have the heads built.. many good machine shops can get you new better casting head blanks for pretty cheap (not as cheap as you can buy them, but now the head and the labor will be covered).

~Mark

If you take it to a good shop they will flux them before they do anything.. and they should be able to tell you if the heads are good.. IF they aren't and they are repairable they should repair them for you (not that bad)..

OR.. you can just buy new blanks and have the heads built.. many good machine shops can get you new better casting head blanks for pretty cheap (not as cheap as you can buy them, but now the head and the labor will be covered).

~Mark

i just had this motor rebuilt and put a ton of money in my 90tm heads and 75 miles later they cracked so im going to get some 95tm heads from Alabama heads just wonder if it worth the money to have a valve job and exhaust ports done?i think im just going to leave them alone and bolt the new 95tm right on,i havent had good luck with machine shops!!

I know how that is.. the pair of rebuilt heads I got from Bill's cylinderhead exchange in Phoenix gave me two untested (they lost the test plugs) heads that still had cracks in them.. (shoulder cracks)..

I got 4 more heads (Thanks Rick and Hammer) for dirt cheap and then had enough parts to get some heads built...

As for getting work done to the heads.. I can't say.. I'm not a engine performance person.. I don't know if it would really help..

Anything you can do to get the engine to handle the 10.1 or so compression your gonna have with the 95tm would be worth it.. As it is, I think you'll be needing super unleaded fuel with those heads.. I have no experience with the 95tm.. just what I've read on here and Doug Andersons 4.0 ohv pages.

~Mark

yea doug seems to be the man,wish i could get him to chime in. :)

Ok just found out the heads from alabama are 98tm heads with the smaller ports i want 95tm with the bigger ports where can i get a set of new 95tm heads???!!!! :(

Sorry for not chiming in about the Alabama heads here bro. I only noticed your post in my thread cuz of the email from the subscription.

Sorry, I have no idea where you're going to find 95/97TM heads from other than the junker. As I said in the other thread, the Alabama heads are a 98TM universal casting for the 95/97/98TM heads. I know this because I have my 95TM heads (with 206k on them), the Alabama heads, and picked up a scrap 98TM head from the junker for $100 so my p&p guy could flow test with and setup a program on his CNC machine for the best flow before messing with my new Alabama heads. On a side note, Jerry (the guy porting and polishing my heads) took a look at my 95TM and my new Alabama heads and said the 95TM exhaust ports could be a little oversized for our engines. Improvements can be made in the combustion chamber and the damn near 90 degree exhaust runner curve that would make much more difference in flow over a larger exhaust port.

If your heart is really set on a set on them, I have my stock 95TM heads that I won't need anymore. I've pulled the valve train off though, so you'll need that and some new valve seats and a good cleaning. A valve job wouldn't hurt either. I'm not sure of their condition as of yet since I wasn't really concerened about that after buying the Alabama heads.

yea i found a set on ebay that are new cast and are true 95tm head they are just bare.yea i really want the 95tm heads because of the 10 to 1 and the bigger ports i dont really want to have any machine work done after what just happened with my last set and i really cant afford to right now so i figure get the 95 and they will be better than the 90tm i had anyday stock!!

does anyone know if the valves from a 90tm will work in a 95tm head?

from what i can tell they will, so now im going to reuse my valves from my 90tm heads (saving a $120) and have my new head machined to fit the valve job that's on them and have the new heads machined for dual valve springs.he is only charging me $80 to do both!!
summit price
988 springs $62 http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=cca-988-12

:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

man i cant find this crack anywhere!!! but there is sign of water in the heads,im going to try a leak down test tomorrow!!

Did you get the heads fluxed or pressure tested (bench tested).. Both "should" show the leak..

~Mark

no not yet they are still on the truck i just got everything off and out of the way so i can pull them this weekend.i might not even get them tested im set on getting new heads so i really dont want to spend anymore money that i dont really have to.here is the link of the heads im going to use,they say they come with a 3angle valve job but i thought when you did a valve job you had to do both the head and valve so they match but they said the heads would work with stock valves? any one use engine quest heads before?
here is the link page 4 http://www.aaeq.net/files/file/catalog[1].pdf

dang i got bad luck summit is back order till the 27 on the springs!! i also got oil in every cyl and it didnt leak from the valves from what i can tell.really i cant find anywhere it came from.

ok i just got my new 95tm heads in today and WOW what a difference these things are nice!!!!!this is the cleanest cast Ive ever seen!!! these heads have a true 3angle valve job on them and the ports and water passage ways have been redesigned.these things are going to rock compared to my 90tm.i was going to have a valve job and dual springs put on them but now im just having the dual springs and having them polished,yes i know i dont need dual springs for the 410 cam but i think in the long run it will be better and if i ever decide to go to the 422 it will all ready be done!here is some pic of the slight differences
10:1
ou7chw.jpg

(90tm intake port)circled in red are things that are not in my 95tm heads!!
v824yh.jpg

95tm so clean
mtmhap.jpg

90tm exhaust port
2z5jhuc.jpg

95tm exhaust port
15zoze9.jpg

highly recommend these people!!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=

o and my 90tm heads are not cracked it was leaking from where the lower intake and heads go together in the back water passage way so my old heads will be on ebay soon if anyone wants them!!

anyone know what is done when you have heads machined for dual springs?they seem like they fit fine on the heads with out machine work or is that they machine it deeper for the closed height?

update:95tm heads are on and wow i was hoping that there would be a difference but never would have thought it would be so noticeable!!!this thing pulls like a car and sounds a little different also!!im really happy with the engine quest heads and wish i went with them first place.i cant wait to get ride of these 373 gears and put my 456 with the aussie lockers in it,this thing might get scary on 35s.if your going to be rebuilding i suggest you go with the higher compression its well worth the extra money at the pump!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back