Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2006 - 2010 Explorer Mountaineer 4th Generation > Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers

Notices

Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers Stock 2006 -2010 Ford Explorer Forum. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

2006 Mercury Mountaineer won't come out of park

Old 02-03-2009, 06:14 PM   #1
tracihenn

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
2006 Mercury Mountaineer won't come out of park

I'm new to these forums and found it searching for a resolution to my problem. Every once in awhile I've had a problem getting the shifter out of park. But the frequency has increased lately. It's increased so much that it happened three times last week and today. Last Friday the car sat all day at work. I couldn't get it out of park. I can hear clicking in the steering column as I press the button. There was finally a louder click and I was able to put it in gear. Today I drove it home from work. Fifteen minutes later I went out to leave again, heard the clicking but it would not shift. It sat for about 30 minutes and was fine. The brake lights are functional. I've searched the forums here and can't find any other suggestions. I called my mechanic who didn't have other suggestions (and he's a Ford person). He then showed up at my house to investigate the car (he's great like that). When he got in, he started it and was able to shift.

Do you have any suggestions?

Many thanks,
Traci
tracihenn is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:10 PM   #2
steve6534
Southern NJ
'06 EB V8

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracihenn View Post
I'm new to these forums and found it searching for a resolution to my problem. Every once in awhile I've had a problem getting the shifter out of park. But the frequency has increased lately. It's increased so much that it happened three times last week and today. Last Friday the car sat all day at work. I couldn't get it out of park. I can hear clicking in the steering column as I press the button. There was finally a louder click and I was able to put it in gear. Today I drove it home from work. Fifteen minutes later I went out to leave again, heard the clicking but it would not shift. It sat for about 30 minutes and was fine. The brake lights are functional. I've searched the forums here and can't find any other suggestions. I called my mechanic who didn't have other suggestions (and he's a Ford person). He then showed up at my house to investigate the car (he's great like that). When he got in, he started it and was able to shift.

Many thanks,
Traci
Welcome ! A quick search for "shifter stuck" would have directed you to this topic -

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...=shifter+stuck

This sounds like a pretty common problems with the 4th generation explorers.
steve6534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:21 PM   #3
V8power
Des Moines, Iowa
2006 Moutaineer PremierV8

Vehicle Specs

Yes, there is a TSB on this for the year, they will replace the safety switch.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:11 AM   #4
tracihenn

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I searched TSBs but didn't find it. Do you happen to know the number?

Many thanks,
Traci
Old 02-04-2009, 06:29 AM   #5
tracihenn

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
And how do TSBs working with the dealership if your warranty has already expired? Can I push the issue to have them fix the problem since it's a known problem even though my warranty expired?

thanks again,
Traci
Old 02-04-2009, 06:45 PM   #6
belvin20
Cornelius, North Carolina

1999 And 2006 V-8's

Vehicle Specs

MY 06 EB had the same problem, dealer shifter under warranty and problem fixed. Dealer told me this had been a problem in the 2006 model year. If your car is out of warranty, call Ford and see if they will do anything for you.
belvin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:47 AM   #7
aaronajb1981
Minneapolis, MN
'06 XLS

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Out of warranty out of luck unless its a recall. I think its like a $150-200 part plus labor.

In case of an emergency pick up the little rubber piece in the bottom of the cup holder, and under there will be a place to stick a small flat screwdriver and its the mechanical release to the shifter interlock.
aaronajb1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:51 AM   #8
mweiss
New Milford, CT
1998 & 2006 Explorers

Vehicle Specs

I've noticed this when I stop to get out of the truck and reach in my mailbox and get back in the truck. I find I have to step on the brake several times before I can get the shifter out of park. Is this the symptom of the problem being discussed here? (I was thinking this could be dangerous in an urban environment where you have to make a quick getaway from some thugs.)

www.basspig.com The Bass Pig's Lair - 16,500 Watts of Driving Surround Sound!
www.mwhdvideo.com
www.ampexperts.com
-
mweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #9
boy
conway ark
2002 mercury mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

2002 mercury mountaineer won't shift out of park

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracihenn View Post

Many thanks,
Traci
boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page