Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

XLT-Eddie Bauer-Limited?? What's the difference?

Old 02-11-2009, 10:42 AM   #1
UKCat123
Cincinnati, OH
1997 Explorer XLT SOHC

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
XLT-Eddie Bauer-Limited?? What's the difference?

Okay guys, something has me wondering....what makes an XLT an XLT? A Limited a Limited? So on and so forth....

I have an XLT with...

-luxury package (i.e. leather seats, power seats, over head console)
-6 Disc changer w/ premium sound
-Moon roof
-Towing package
-Remote start/keyless entry

Now, to me, this in my mind we be considered a "Limited" version...but it is not. So what is the difference between the 3 overall? Or should I say....what does the limited have that mine does not? In my mind, mine appears to be what you would call "decked out." I have the original sticker and it sold for $34,000 back in '97.

Can anyone clear this up for me?
UKCat123 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:41 AM   #2
gijoecam
Village Idiot
Trenton, MI
98 ExSport, '00 F-150

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Many of the features that were optional on an XLT were standard on an EB, and many of the options available on the EB were standard on the Limited. There may have been some features available on the Limited not available on the EB, and some features available on the EB that weren't available on the XLT.

Now, between the XLT and Limited? World of difference, but mostly cosmetic stuff... Nicer wheels and tires, different interior options, different colors, color-keyed trim on the outside, several better audio system options, moonroof was probably standard on the limited, etc.

An XLT is not a Limited plain and simple.

"We need to allow Darwinism take it's course and let the idiots weed themselves out of existance." ~ Rick Horwitz
We must believe in free will we have no choice.
~ Isaac Bashevis Singer
I'm not smart, just a resourceful idiot. ~ Me
gijoecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:07 PM   #3
lee2489
Greenville, SC
'99 Limited 5.0

Vehicle Specs

well, i have a limited and the things you didn't mention that i can think of is heated mirrors and heated seats. also the Limited insignia on the seats and rear hatch. haha. other than that i'm not sure.

04 Ranger XLT 4x4
lee2489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:32 PM   #4
96eb96
Albany, NY
96 EB V6 OHV 4WD

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKCat123 View Post
Okay guys, something has me wondering....what makes an XLT an XLT? A Limited a Limited? So on and so forth....

I have an XLT with...

-luxury package (i.e. leather seats, power seats, over head console)
-6 Disc changer w/ premium sound
-Moon roof
-Towing package
-Remote start/keyless entry

Now, to me, this in my mind we be considered a "Limited" version...but it is not. So what is the difference between the 3 overall? Or should I say....what does the limited have that mine does not? In my mind, mine appears to be what you would call "decked out." I have the original sticker and it sold for $34,000 back in '97.

Can anyone clear this up for me?
EBs have a distinctive two tone paint with Tan on the bottom. I believe they have special leather captains chairs too. They also have things standard that may be options on lower trims. An XLT could be upgraded to the level of an EB or Limited, minus special trim or features.

Limiteds I believe came standard with distinctive features such as a memory seat, heated mirrors and auto leveling suspension. They also have a different seat that is similar to a Lincoln.

I always wondered why my EB don't have running boards or a limited slip though....
96eb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:16 PM   #5
lee2489
Greenville, SC
'99 Limited 5.0

Vehicle Specs

weird, my limited doesn't have auto leveling suspension. i remember also that it has the garage door opener built in as well.

04 Ranger XLT 4x4
lee2489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:13 PM   #6
UKCat123
Cincinnati, OH
1997 Explorer XLT SOHC

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Yeah that makes sense guys. I didn't take into account the cosmetic options as well as heated mirrors, seats, etc.

So maybe you could call my XLT a fully optioned XLT?

While I am thinking about it...let me get the opinion of some of you knowledgable denizens....

I have the SOHC engine and am under the gun to find out if the timing chain needs to be replaced (Just bought the truck a few short months ago)...

What would be the best and easiest way to find out if it already has been repaired/replaced by Ford back when it was under warranty? Carfax? This would be a huge relief off my shoulders if it was replaced 3 or 4 years ago.
UKCat123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:06 PM   #7
96eb96
Albany, NY
96 EB V6 OHV 4WD

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKCat123 View Post
Yeah that makes sense guys. I didn't take into account the cosmetic options as well as heated mirrors, seats, etc.

So maybe you could call my XLT a fully optioned XLT?

While I am thinking about it...let me get the opinion of some of you knowledgable denizens....

I have the SOHC engine and am under the gun to find out if the timing chain needs to be replaced (Just bought the truck a few short months ago)...

What would be the best and easiest way to find out if it already has been repaired/replaced by Ford back when it was under warranty? Carfax? This would be a huge relief off my shoulders if it was replaced 3 or 4 years ago.
Go to your friendly Ford dealer and have them run the VIN. If it was a recall or extended warranty it will most likely be on record.
96eb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:36 PM   #8
celly
disturber of the peace
calgary

99 eb 5.0 awd

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee2489 View Post
weird, my limited doesn't have auto leveling suspension. i remember also that it has the garage door opener built in as well.
My '99 EB has Homelink. I love it.

I wouldn't want that auto-leveling suspension. More hassle if you want aftermarket shocks (I love my Bilsteins)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96eb96 View Post
I always wondered why my EB don't have running boards or a limited slip though....
My '99 EB has both.

I think Limiteds almost always come with the venerable 5.0. V8 Many EB's do. The XLT had it as an option, but most I see are V6 (OHV pre-'97 and SOHC after that)

You can find nicely loaded XLT for sure. But the trim level on the 4 doors (in order of "prestige"):

XLS->XLT->EB->Limited

SCT XC2 w/Henson tunes, Flo Pro catback, EE swaybar & airdam, Morimoto HID projector retrofit (4300K), Bilstein shocks, Powdercoating by Turdle, Amsoil everywhere, other stuff.
Quote:
I didnt even waste my time to read that, nor will I, however I read some of it.
I, I, I, Me! Me! Me!,
Craigslist Scams for Dummies, Don't Be a Wannabe.
celly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:15 PM   #9
Joe Dirt
Elite Explorer

07 Camry

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Don't forget about the Limited Grille...

Old 04-01-2009, 11:53 AM   #10
rjg77

Vehicle Specs

Just joined recently. I'm thinking of buying a 2009 Explorer XLT and adding a moonroof, Premium Sound system, Leather seating, and the Convenience and Appearance packages to get a model that's closer to a Limited. I don't need third row seating and certain other non-essential options.

Missing on the XLT that is standard on the Limited that I would want include chrome exterior mirrors, interior wood trim, stitching in the center console lid, and possibly perforated leather on door interior trim (not sure). You can get similar wood trim at various website vendors. You also possibly replace the console lid with the Limited version. I think the leather seats are identical for all Explorers. So, for me, this would be close to a Limited.

Last edited by rjg77; 04-01-2009 at 11:55 AM. Reason: edits
rjg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:13 PM   #11
pafixitman
Hanover, PA
'96 Limited

Vehicle Specs

grill and front fascia for the ltd. No bun warmers, roof or V8 on mine. Does have the auto leveling suspension, different seat "pattern" (hate them, would much rather have bolstered support) did have the JBL radio, body colored door handles and running boards.
pafixitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:40 PM   #12
celly
disturber of the peace
calgary

99 eb 5.0 awd

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjg77 View Post
Just joined recently. I'm thinking of buying a 2009 Explorer XLT and adding a moonroof, Premium Sound system, Leather seating, and the Convenience and Appearance packages to get a model that's closer to a Limited. I don't need third row seating and certain other non-essential options.

Missing on the XLT that is standard on the Limited that I would want include chrome exterior mirrors, interior wood trim, stitching in the center console lid, and possibly perforated leather on door interior trim (not sure). You can get similar wood trim at various website vendors. You also possibly replace the console lid with the Limited version. I think the leather seats are identical for all Explorers. So, for me, this would be close to a Limited.
Apples and oranges. This thread deals with 2nd generation Explorers (95-01). You drive a 4th generation (2006+ I think). There is a forum on this site that deals with what you want. You're better off starting your own thread rather than replying to another.

Welcome to the site. This is a great Explorer resource for ALL Explorers.

SCT XC2 w/Henson tunes, Flo Pro catback, EE swaybar & airdam, Morimoto HID projector retrofit (4300K), Bilstein shocks, Powdercoating by Turdle, Amsoil everywhere, other stuff.
Quote:
I, I, I, Me! Me! Me!,
Old 04-01-2009, 08:56 PM   #13
David in NC
North Carolina
'97 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Doesn't the Ltd. have the radio controls on the steering wheel?
David in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:42 PM   #14
celly
disturber of the peace
calgary

99 eb 5.0 awd

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by David in NC View Post
Doesn't the Ltd. have the radio controls on the steering wheel?
So does the Eddie.

Quote:
I, I, I, Me! Me! Me!,
Old 04-02-2009, 01:28 PM   #15
1mission
Kansas
1996 Explorer Limited

Vehicle Specs

96 Limited w/ Heated Seat?

Hi. I just bought this 96 Limited. The drivers seat gets hot and has the black marks to prove it's heated. However I can't find any switchs on the seat for the heater and I can't find any reference in the owners manual about the heated seat/seats. What's up! Could somebody have added it later?
1mission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:40 PM   #16
eXcali
Bourbonnais, IL
98 Explorer XLT AWD 5.0

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mission View Post
Hi. I just bought this 96 Limited. The drivers seat gets hot and has the black marks to prove it's heated. However I can't find any switchs on the seat for the heater and I can't find any reference in the owners manual about the heated seat/seats. What's up! Could somebody have added it later?
yes someone probably added it later.
eXcali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:45 PM   #17
1mission
Kansas
1996 Explorer Limited

Vehicle Specs

Rear Speaker Removal

Also do you know how to get the cover off of the rear speaker? The one that's in the right rear quarter panel. The xl's have a little pocket with a net over it in the same spot. I tryed to pry on it, but I'm sure it would break first.
1mission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:45 PM   #18
pprather
San Diego
2001 Limited

Vehicle Specs

01 Limited

I have an 01 limited with the self leveling suspension. I belive that was an option that came with the towing package. The seat heater button is on the side of the seat nearest the door. I have seen Limiteds with 6 cylinder engines but mine does have the 8.
pprather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:54 PM   #19
alexk
New Jersey
13 XLT 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I believe the limited also had adjustable headrests.
alexk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:15 PM   #20
robertoa1a
Jacksonville, FL
96 5.0 xlt 2wd white/char

Vehicle Specs

Fender flares and running boards on the exterior.
robertoa1a is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page