Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

timing chain replacement on 4.0 liter sohc

Old 02-15-2009, 07:54 PM   #1
awesomeang
lessburg
98 explorer 4.0 sohc

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
timing chain replacement on 4.0 liter sohc

do you have to pull engine to replace timing chains on 4.0 sohc engine
awesomeang is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:51 PM   #2
mudbug0426
Allen, Tx
96 XLT V6 OHV 4x4

Vehicle Specs

yes, you have to pull it to get to the chain on the back side of the motor.

My 96 Explorer
mudbug0426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:10 AM   #3
awesomeang
lessburg
98 explorer 4.0 sohc

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
thank you for taking the time to reply,although i had found my answer to that question already it leaves me with several new questions
Old 02-17-2009, 11:24 PM   #4
RockyMtnHigh
Calgary, AB
98 XLT 4.0 SOHC

Vehicle Specs

There are 3 chains: 2 front and 1 back. The front chains can be serviced (tensioners/guides) with the motor still in the truck. The rear chain must be serviced with the motor out of the truck.

Are you planning on replacing the chains or servicing the tensioners and guides? What got you to this point?
RockyMtnHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:28 PM   #5
Ford_Nova
Nashville, TN
'97 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

Why are their 3 chains? Thats something i havent quite understood. And why in the back?

Ford_Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:08 AM   #6
IZwack
Moderator Emeritus
Germantown, MD

1998 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Info: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=163298

AutoZone's Repair Guide: http://www.autozone.com/shopping/rep...00c1528018ec62

Old 02-18-2009, 12:10 AM   #7
RockyMtnHigh
Calgary, AB
98 XLT 4.0 SOHC

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Nova View Post
Why are their 3 chains? Thats something i havent quite understood. And why in the back?

Why do people climb mountains? Because they can...

Why do engineers make things more complex than they need to be? Because they can...

I climb mountains...and I am friends with many engineers. I just never climb mountains with engineers...keeps me safe.
RockyMtnHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:03 PM   #8
awesomeang
lessburg
98 explorer 4.0 sohc

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
well its my friends truck she was driving down the road and it quit on her and thats where i came in,i suspected it had jumped time or chain had broken, had no idea that ford could design something so silly...anyway she does'nt have the money to fix it the right way so i was gonna just replace the giudes and tensioners and leave the chains alone but engine has 197k so not really sure thats smart not to mention the parts are 360.00 with my nephews ford discount...any thoughts??
Old 02-19-2009, 11:30 PM   #9
93explorereb
Northeast
93/97 4.0 EB/5.0 XLT 4AWD

Vehicle Specs

Question

Do we have non interference engines, or are they interference engines? I think if one keeps quality clean oil (frequent oil/oil filter changes), that this would help prolong the life of the chains themselves. However, at what mileage do they begin to really stretch and or wear out, or better yet, what is the average life span of the tensioner/chain guides? Thanks in advance!
93explorereb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:04 AM   #10
mark_in_spokane
Spokane
99 XLT

Vehicle Specs

It is crappy plastic, not soft metal. The cam chain design looks like a 1930s bicycle and will offer way too much rotary impact pressure than the rails can provide. I suppose affirmative action engineers have finally found their place. Unfortunately, indeed.
mark_in_spokane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:31 AM   #11
ExploringNC
Hickory, NC
'98 XLT, '91 EB

Vehicle Specs

I have I think the same problem with mine and was wondering the best advice of where to go from here. Something finally broke on the guides and I'm pretty sure that it got loose enough to skip a few teeth on the chain. If the front chain skipped would the rear skip as well? Should I just plan on pulling motor to take a good look at everything? Like most people I don't have the money to do all that I should but just need to get it running again.

Another rought that I thought about going is swapping motor. I found a motor, tranny, transfer case and all wiring including computer still assembled for $350. It's from a '96 with 108k and mine is a '98 with 219k. I should be able to just put everything in from the '96 correct?

Uwharrie 2010

BrooklynBay's List of Useful Threads
ExploringNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:44 AM   #12
ayman
ford explorer trac 2005

Vehicle Specs

US

Last edited by ayman; 07-18-2010 at 10:42 AM.
ayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:55 AM   #13
bluestream1
Waterloo Ontario
2000 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4X4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomeang View Post
well its my friends truck she was driving down the road and it quit on her and thats where i came in,i suspected it had jumped time or chain had broken, had no idea that ford could design something so silly...anyway she does'nt have the money to fix it the right way so i was gonna just replace the giudes and tensioners and leave the chains alone but engine has 197k so not really sure thats smart not to mention the parts are 360.00 with my nephews ford discount...any thoughts??
I would not put any time or money into an engine with 197K. That motors best years are behind it.

Last edited by bluestream1; 07-28-2010 at 07:26 AM.
bluestream1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:23 AM   #14
ayman
ford explorer trac 2005

Vehicle Specs

replacing rear taiming chain guide ford explorer 4,0

yes you have to remove the engine out and the top cylinder pasenger site that you can fix the timing chaine guide ,if the sporket is ok and the chain is ok dont go more than that , to get more informaitions and instructions go to this link i get every think is here D:\ford explorer repaiurs\Ford Explorer SOHC Timing Chain Replace.mht
ayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:46 AM   #15
bluestream1
Waterloo Ontario
2000 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4X4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93explorereb View Post
Do we have non interference engines, or are they interference engines? I think if one keeps quality clean oil (frequent oil/oil filter changes), that this would help prolong the life of the chains themselves. However, at what mileage do they begin to really stretch and or wear out, or better yet, what is the average life span of the tensioner/chain guides? Thanks in advance!
Frequent oil changes will not alleviate this problem. All timing chains will stretch and weaken with age; that's why Ford is including new chains in the kits. As for service life of the guides/chains, I would say they need to be done at least once during the life of the engine.

Last edited by bluestream1; 07-28-2010 at 07:26 AM.
bluestream1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:07 AM   #16
sean7661
Detroit
01 sport

Vehicle Specs

I have a 2001 Explorer Sport 4.0 SOCH with a bad timing chain guide (RH Cassette). I pulled the head to check for internal damage but forgot to drain the oil first. When I did drain the oil there was about a 1/4 gallon of coolant in the oil pan. the oil itself did not look like coolant was being burnt, and there was no oil in the overflow. Is it possible the coolant got in through the cylinders when I removed the head?
sean7661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:45 PM   #17
saewoody
CT
1997 XLT

Vehicle Specs

I just did my timing chains at almost 205,000 miles. I would recommend replacing the chains, guides, and tensioners, but you can probably leave the sprokets. I was sort of kicking myself for buying the kit for each timing chain and not just the individual parts. But I don't know how much money that might have actually saved me. Good luck.
saewoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:41 AM   #18
2000StreetRod
Greenville, SC

2000 Sport SOHC 2WD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
SOHC V6 timing chain comments

1. Ford did an injustice to its customers by producing an engine with a camshaft timing chain in the rear that requires engine removal for replacement of the camshaft chain, guide assembly or jackshaft rear sprocket. The magnitude of the injustice was increased by utilizing (and not improving) a plastic guide assembly with no metal reinforcement on the traction side that fractures from fatigue.

2. The SOHC spring/hydraulic camshaft timing chain tensioner is an inferior design compared to the OHV ratchet spring/hydraulic camshaft timing chain tensioner. The spring pressure is inadequate to prevent timing chain slip when oil pressure is low, when the engine backfires, or when the engine is manually rotated counter-clockwise. I recommend replacing the hydraulic tensioners every 75,000 miles or when the cassettes are replaced.

3. The primary (crankshaft to jackshaft) tensioner was an inferior design subject to failure at 50,000 miles. The upgraded primary tensioner is significantly improved and should provide a reasonable service life.

4. The improved camshaft timing chain guide assemblies are still subject to fatigue failure because the metal reinforcement is not bonded to the plastic.

5. Using high quality engine oil with replacement of oil and filter at recommended interval will reduce chain to guide assembly contact wear but will not delay fracture failure. The use of a pre-oiler/oil accumulator will reduce the chance of chain slippage by preventing low oil pressure when the engine is running (start up and hard cornering/braking).

6. The SOHC is an interference engine. When the timing chain slips enough the valves will collide with the pistons. The most frequent occurrence is the exhaust valves dinging the pistons requiring removal of the head and replacement of the valves.

7. The guide assembly fails much sooner than the associated chain or sprockets. It is acceptable to replace the guide assembly without replacing the associated chain or sprocket. After the engine runs for a few hours wear patterns result on the chain and sprockets. The chain and associated sprockets should be replaced as an assembly. Individual cassette components (guides, chains, sprockets) are no longer available from Ford.

8. Aftermarket guide assemblies are frequently inferior to those available from Ford. They may be warped or soon warp. They may wear much faster. They may fracture sooner. According to a Cloyes engineer I spoke with the guide assemblies that come with their timing chain kits are from the same manufacturer that makes them for Ford.

Here are links to threads containing more information relating to the SOHC V6 timing chain system:

Rear Timing Chain Tensioner Replacement

SOHC V6 Camshaft Timing

Starting my 00M12 Installation

Main timing chain - OHV vs SOHC

Timing chain rattle resolution process - SOHC V6

SOHC V6 Timing Chain Saga
2000StreetRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:22 PM   #19
JcSport
94 Sport

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestream1 View Post
I would not put any time or money into an engine with 197K. That motors best years are behind it.
I tend to disagree. I have 280,000 on my 94 and she is still running great. Sure she has parts go wrong. What vehichle dont? I think they are still young at 197.
JcSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:22 AM   #20
paramedic835
Bayamon, Puerto Rico
2006 Mazda B4000

Vehicle Specs

How to remove the fan clutch assemble ?

Ok I got a question. In order to remove the fan clutch assemble the nut behind the clutch has to be turned clockwise or counterclockwise ?? Thanks in advance.
paramedic835 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page