Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1991 - 1994 Explorer Ranger Navajo 1st Generation > Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers For questions related to the base Ford Explorer. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. No modification questions.

Where is the fill plug for the rear differential?

Old 02-17-2009, 01:12 AM   #1
93explorereb
Northeast
93/97 4.0 EB/5.0 XLT 4AWD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Question Where is the fill plug for the rear differential?

Greetings:

I would like to change the fluid in my rear axle, but I can't seem to locate the filler plug? Is it on the axle shaft? I would just like to pump it out, and fill it back up via a simple hand pump. I have some Mobil 1 75w-90. Would 3 bottles be sufficient or would I need closer to 4 bottles. I have some extra Valvoline Dura-Blend 80w-90 which I was going to use for the front axle. How many bottles does the front axle take? Thanks in advance! I am looking to change the fluid more often say every 20,000 or so miles?
93explorereb is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn what modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to see less ads, no green underlined links, and many other benefits such as being able to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:22 AM   #2
James909
Long Island, NY
1994 GMC Yukon 2 Door

Vehicle Specs

The fill plug is on the front of the rear diff, more towards the gas tank. Just use a 3/8" extension to get the plug out. 3 bottles for the rear and 2 for the front should suffice. Just fill them up until the fluid starts to drip out of the fill hole. You may need friction modifier if you have a LS.

350 TBI
James909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 02:25 AM   #3
93explorereb
Northeast

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Does the eddie bauer edition have LS? Would M1 75W-90 contain it? Otherwise who sells it seperately Napa?
Quote:
Originally Posted by James909 View Post
The fill plug is on the front of the rear diff, more towards the gas tank. Just use a 3/8" extension to get the plug out. 3 bottles for the rear and 2 for the front should suffice. Just fill them up until the fluid starts to drip out of the fill hole. You may need friction modifier if you have a LS.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:33 AM   #4
donlightbody
co
2003 XLT

Vehicle Specs

look at the axle code on the driver side door sticker, D2, D4, or L73 are LS. I've EB with and without LS so check the code.
donlightbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:37 AM   #5
ben_repsol
algonquin, il
1994 ranger xlt 4.0 4wd

Vehicle Specs

i recommend royal purple 75/140

94 Ranger xlt 4.0 4wd, Monroe Sensa Trac Load Adjusting Shocks, Husky leaf spring helper, Hedman Headers to Magnaflow Cat and Magnaflow exhaust, 3:73 Lockright
ben_repsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:46 AM   #6
93explorereb
Northeast

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I am a big synthetic fan, however, won't 75/140 bog the diff down, and or burn a lot more fuel because of the heavy drag from such a thick diff fluid? Are you currently using 75/140 in both diffs. What is your fuel usage like? I admire the extra protection, but again, what about fuel usage and power repsonse, does it also affect take offs? Thank you all for your responses!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_repsol View Post
i recommend royal purple 75/140
Old 02-17-2009, 08:48 AM   #7
techieman33
Topeka, KS

00 V8 Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
75/140 is what's reccomended for the rear of the 2nd gen's, 75/90 for the front. I'm running amsoil 75/110 in the rear end and haven't had any problems though.
techieman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:09 AM   #8
ben_repsol
algonquin, il
1994 ranger xlt 4.0 4wd

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93explorereb View Post
I am a big synthetic fan, however, won't 75/140 bog the diff down, and or burn a lot more fuel because of the heavy drag from such a thick diff fluid? Are you currently using 75/140 in both diffs. What is your fuel usage like? I admire the extra protection, but again, what about fuel usage and power repsonse, does it also affect take offs? Thank you all for your responses!
75 is the weight of the oil and is thinner than 80 means it is lighter and easier for the gears but the higher viscosity level of 140 protects it from breaking down its thermal protection..so far i dont have any problem with it and i use my ranger to pull my 6x12 enclosed trailer for my lawn mowing business 3 times a week (at least 100 miles/day loaded with 1 scag 36" walk behind mower, 1 50" scag zero turn mower, 2 backpack blowers, 2 trimmer and 3 5 gallons gas tank and apprx 50lbs of tools and spare tire) but i do flush trans and diff fluids every 10k or at least 15k miles..i have 189k on stock engine and trans..i have lockright on my diff..but still it is your personal choice.

personally i dont recommend pumping out fluid via manual pump. gears leave metallic residue particles that travels along with the dirty oil and remember diff dont have filters. besides it is not that hard, just put a little patience and some rtv silicone you will be fine

94 Ranger xlt 4.0 4wd, Monroe Sensa Trac Load Adjusting Shocks, Husky leaf spring helper, Hedman Headers to Magnaflow Cat and Magnaflow exhaust, 3:73 Lockright

Last edited by ben_repsol; 02-17-2009 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:39 AM   #9
93explorereb
Northeast

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I have a 8.8 diff gasket, would that be sufficient, in addition to the silicone? And which silicone do you recommend frpm Permatex? So the 75/140 won't be too heavy for the winter temps? I am in the North East, and it is still very cold!!!!!!!!! So if one puts in anything lighter than 140 for the rear, they could cause damage and or excelerated wear? Thanks again
Quote:
75 is the weight of the oil and is thinner than 80 means it is lighter and easier for the gears but the higher viscosity level of 140 protects it from breaking down its thermal protection..so far i dont have any problem with it and i use my ranger to pull my 6x12 enclosed trailer for my lawn mowing business 3 times a week (at least 100 miles/day loaded with 1 scag 36" walk behind mower, 1 50" scag zero turn mower, 2 backpack blowers, 2 trimmer and 3 5 gallons gas tank and apprx 50lbs of tools and spare tire) but i do flush trans and diff fluids every 10k or at least 15k miles..i have 189k on stock engine and trans..i have lockright on my diff..but still it is your personal choice.

personally i dont recommend pumping out fluid via manual pump. gears leave metallic residue particles that travels along with the dirty oil and remember diff dont have filters. besides it is not that hard, just put a little patience and some rtv silicone you will be fine

Last edited by 93explorereb; 08-30-2009 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:41 AM   #10
techieman33
Topeka, KS

00 V8 Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
there really isn't any need for the gasket, some grey gasket maker is enough
techieman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:58 AM   #11
Maniak
Moderator-Stock 91-94
Vail, Arizona

1992 XLT 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
The only gasket maker type stuff we use anymore is "right stuff" which is now owned by permatex. It comes in what looks like a cheese wiz can or in a small caulk type tube.

Here is a pic of all the different types of containers it can come in.. I like the cheese wiz style.

~Mark

Old 02-17-2009, 02:01 PM   #12
ben_repsol
algonquin, il
1994 ranger xlt 4.0 4wd

Vehicle Specs

silicone is good enough but if you were planning to service your diff more often then i would go with the gasket less the silicone (that is what i do, but i service my diff every 10k and never encounter a leak before its time to service) 75/140 is also good enough since its thinner than 85/90...but it depends on how you use your truck..i do crazy hauling that's why i go with 75/140 but even just driving it around with it it doesnt really affect that much even on cold weather (i live in nw illinois and we do have crazy cold weather here too and the wind chill) i never had problem, besides gears are metals rubbing each other so you make sure the oil film thermal viscosity level is there...75/110 will be ideal for average use but it is hard to find, i wouldnt go lower than 110 on 75...but then again this is my preference the way i use the truck and never had problem. goodluck

Old 02-17-2009, 11:04 PM   #13
93explorereb
Northeast

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thanks guys! I want to use Amsoil, but I just can't wait. I may get it for the mid to late summer. I too like to change my diffs out at 10,000 miles or so. I may just go with Mobil 1 75w-140 for the moment, because 85w-140 is way too thick?? Or could one get away with 85w-140 right now? Again, otherwise I will just get Mobil 1 75w-140. Thanks again!
Quote:
silicone is good enough but if you were planning to service your diff more often then i would go with the gasket less the silicone (that is what i do, but i service my diff every 10k and never encounter a leak before its time to service) 75/140 is also good enough since its thinner than 85/90...but it depends on how you use your truck..i do crazy hauling that's why i go with 75/140 but even just driving it around with it it doesnt really affect that much even on cold weather (i live in nw illinois and we do have crazy cold weather here too and the wind chill) i never had problem, besides gears are metals rubbing each other so you make sure the oil film thermal viscosity level is there...75/110 will be ideal for average use but it is hard to find, i wouldnt go lower than 110 on 75...but then again this is my preference the way i use the truck and never had problem. goodluck

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page