Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Under the Hood

Notices

Under the Hood Ford Explorer and Ranger, Engine, troubleshooting, modifications, performance and accessories.

Exhaust Manifolds/Headers GLOWING Red

Old 02-18-2009, 07:51 PM   #1
Ponyman460
Jupiter, FL
1997 5.0 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Exhaust Manifolds/Headers GLOWING Red

I was driving in my Mustang the other night next to my Fiance (who was driving my explorer) and I looked over to see the headers glowing red! i was shocked to see this!

I have done a search and have found that sometimes clogged cats will cause this symptom....but I am not sure.

I have the rear cats removed, and the fronts are still in tact.

The truck is a 1997 XLT with the 5.0 engine and around 5-7k on the new motor/ but about 180k on the rest of the truck.

anybody have any ideas on what I should be doing?

Thanks!

Rick

97 5.0 XLT The Daily...

1998 Stang GT with a few choice mods
Ponyman460 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

Join the Elite Explorers for only $20 a year. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:44 PM   #2
35Remmy
Binghamton NY, Hazleton PA, Northern NJ
'88,'99 Ranger, '00 EX

Vehicle Specs

Either cat is clogged or you have an exhaust leak somewhere...combusting fuel where it shouldn't be combusting. Well I guess running super rich or super lean could cause this, too...
35Remmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:46 PM   #3
aldive
Elite In Memoriam

1999 XLT

Vehicle Specs

By headers, I assume you are referring to the exhaust manifold(s)?

How could you see them driving beside the truck?

My truck

My Quest for 30

RIP Al Franklin! 1947-2010. Gone but not forgotten! :(
aldive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:52 PM   #4
Ponyman460
Jupiter, FL
1997 5.0 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldive View Post
By headers, I assume you are referring to the exhaust manifold(s)?

How could you see them driving beside the truck?

yes I am referring to the stockers...and I can see them b/c that plastic splash shield is missing....and my mustang is low....

97 5.0 XLT The Daily...

Old 02-18-2009, 08:53 PM   #5
Ponyman460
Jupiter, FL
1997 5.0 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35Remmy View Post
Either cat is clogged or you have an exhaust leak somewhere...combusting fuel where it shouldn't be combusting. Well I guess running super rich or super lean could cause this, too...
well I know I have an exhaust leak, but didnt think that would cause this. The manifold is cracked in the normal spot, and I have not been able to get replacements yet.

97 5.0 XLT The Daily...

Old 02-18-2009, 09:04 PM   #6
aldive
Elite In Memoriam

1999 XLT

Vehicle Specs

I would suspect the cat(s).

Good luck ....

My truck

My Quest for 30

Old 02-18-2009, 09:08 PM   #7
Ponyman460
Jupiter, FL
1997 5.0 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
I would suspect the cat(s).

Good luck ....
yeah, that is what I was thinking too.....but I hate to delete all the cats! from what I read on here most done reccomend that due to a substantial loss in back pressure.

97 5.0 XLT The Daily...

Old 02-18-2009, 09:15 PM   #8
aldive
Elite In Memoriam

1999 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyman460 View Post
yeah, that is what I was thinking too.....but I hate to delete all the cats! from what I read on here most done reccomend that due to a substantial loss in back pressure.
... and don't forget the air we all breath.

My truck

My Quest for 30

Old 02-18-2009, 09:20 PM   #9
Ponyman460
Jupiter, FL
1997 5.0 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
yeah....I meant that too.. forgot to write it

97 5.0 XLT The Daily...

Old 02-18-2009, 09:25 PM   #10
CDW6212R
Elite Explorer
Knoxville, TN

98 Mountaineer A4WD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
What is done with the engine beyond stock rebuild stuff? How does it run normally, any other symptoms? I had a broken valve spring in my first car, the springs were too strong, used, and one broke. The one header pipe got cherry red, and it had not run right since it was installed. Regards,

Be American, Buy American (Manufacturer)
CDW6212R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:28 PM   #11
Ponyman460
Jupiter, FL
1997 5.0 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW6212R View Post
What is done with the engine beyond stock rebuild stuff? How does it run normally, any other symptoms? I had a broken valve spring in my first car, the springs were too strong, used, and one broke. The one header pipe got cherry red, and it had not run right since it was installed. Regards,
not much...1.6 roller rockers (useless) with upgraded valve springs.....but basically a OEM rebuild otherwise.

if runs fine I think....but the gas mileage lately has been horrid (12mpg)

97 5.0 XLT The Daily...

Old 02-18-2009, 09:54 PM   #12
CDW6212R
Elite Explorer
Knoxville, TN

98 Mountaineer A4WD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
I'd also see about the cats. They can be tested by most exhaust shops, they drill a hole and measure the pressure ahead of them. If that is going to be the answer, just replace them with a pair of universal cats, about $50 or so each.

Be American, Buy American (Manufacturer)
CDW6212R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:02 PM   #13
35Remmy
Binghamton NY, Hazleton PA, Northern NJ
'88,'99 Ranger, '00 EX

Vehicle Specs

BAD gas mileage is 12MPG...and a clogged cat could VERY well do that to you.
35Remmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:41 PM   #14
montegun
philadelphia
2001 explorer sport

Vehicle Specs

i agree with the cats but dont delete them replace them
montegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:06 AM   #15
techieman33
Topeka, KS

00 V8 Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
They're not to expensive to replace, as long as you don't try to put ford parts back on, those things are around $400 each
techieman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:10 AM   #16
1996explorerxlt
Marshfield, MA
00Mounty+96X both V8 AWD

Vehicle Specs

I have a set of Magnaflow direct replacements for sale if you are interested and need them.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=230216

96 AWD V8, TM headers, 2 1/2" pipes, Magnaflow dual in-out, 3 1/2" tips, K+N cone filter, crystal clear corners + headlights all with Silverstars, Pilot foglights, tinted tails, TT, shackles, two tone grey black interior.
1996explorerxlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:11 AM   #17
410Fortune
ELITE BRONCO2ERER
Crawlorado

B2 Mod

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
12mpg could also be a fuel pressure issue, if your regulator is history and its dumping fuel then you are running very rich, raw fuel will clog cat converters and cause your manifolds to glow

I would test fuel pressure and consider replacing the primary converters, the secondary converters on the 5.0L trucks are not required for emissions in most states, check your local emissions regulations

A great exhaust setup for the 5.0L is remove secondary cats, replace with a dual inlet single outlet muffler

Wifes 07 FJ build - 2007 FJ cruiser locked and lifted
410Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:32 PM   #18
Ponyman460
Jupiter, FL
1997 5.0 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 410Fortune View Post
12mpg could also be a fuel pressure issue, if your regulator is history and its dumping fuel then you are running very rich, raw fuel will clog cat converters and cause your manifolds to glow

I would test fuel pressure and consider replacing the primary converters, the secondary converters on the 5.0L trucks are not required for emissions in most states, check your local emissions regulations

A great exhaust setup for the 5.0L is remove secondary cats, replace with a dual inlet single outlet muffler
I guess checking fuel pressure would be a good idea....never thought about that..thanks

97 5.0 XLT The Daily...

Old 02-20-2009, 02:14 PM   #19
Carguy3J
Elite Explorer
North East New Jersey
'99 4dr. XLT SOHC A4WD

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
US Misconceptions.......

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyman460 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by montegun View Post
i agree with the cats but dont delete them replace them
OK, 1st this site's hostility to removal of cats, due to legal issues is, at best, hypocritical. I don't really want to start this discussion just yet, as I don't have time to do so properly right now. But, it does need to be addressd and discussed at a future date. For now, I'll just say this: Many of the mods who have killed cat removal threads, themselves have substantial mods on thier own profiles/vehicles which are just as technically illegal as removing the cats. This is just one of many points on this issue. I do intend to start a seperate thread for just such a discussion/debate at a later time.

2nd, there is a HUGE misconception that "our" motors, "need" backpressure. NO motor EVER NEEDS backpressure. What they do need is adequate exhaust gas flow velocity. Using grossly oversized, or poorly designed exhaust systems can substanstially reduce power output, in one of two ways. One is killing flow velocity, and the attendant scavenging effects. The second is excessive backpressure, due to pipes which are too small, have too many bends, or other restrictions in the system (such as CATS). While OEM cats have improved significantly in the last couple of decades, they are still, and always will be, a restiction which hurts performance. Ofcourse, that statement requires a bit of qualification. Simply "gutting" your cats is bad. It creates a big open chamber, and almost always creates weird flow patterns that reduce flow velocity and scavenging, and hence reduces performance. However, removing the cat, and replacing it with a properly sized lenght of straight pipe will almost always improve performance,by increasing volumetric effeciency of the engine ( just a big air pump: more out=more can get in=better performance), especially if it accompanied by supporting mods.

As for Al's comment regarding air quality, it is quite possible that a vehicle w/o cats could be tuned such that it actually produces lower emmissions than it had in stock form. I certainly don't want to pick a fight with Aldive, as he is a well respected member here, and he has a lot of great ideas and opinions, but we're right back to the whole hypocrit thing mentioned above. How? Well, several of the mods al has done and spoken of here are just as much a violation of the clean air act as removing the cats. Take the "custom" tuning for example; I doubt his Ex has been submitted to the EPA for emmissions recertification. I also suspect that, even with his cats in place, his tuning mods probably result in higher tailpipe emmissions, at least in certain categories. I would guess Nox, for one. Why? Well, to get the kind of mileage he claims (and I don't dispute), one would have to run leaner than stoich at cruise, and certainly less power enrichment. Leaner equals hotter exhaust which tends to increase Nox emmissions, though it probably lowers unburnt hydrocarbons. Of course this is academic, as even if these mods resulted in pure oxygen and bubblegum coming out of the tailpipe, they are still illegal tampering.

You can either cower in fear, and do what the jackbooted thugs of the government want, or do what you believe is best for YOU and YOUR vehicle.

So...... to the original poster, my advice is this: If it is in fact your cats, and you already have or wish to buy an xcal,etc... w/ custom tuning, then cut them out, replace it with straight pipe (disguised w/ the heat shields from the old cats), have your rear o2's and the associated trouble codes disabled in the tunes and motor along your happy way. (it should pass both visual and the computer portion your inspection process, provided they just plug into the computer,as they do here.) Buying a tuner is cheaper then replacing them, and you'll have better performance.

Or not.......... It's up to you
America... Land of the Free?????????

Best Time 15.87 e/t @ 86.6MPH in the 1/4
Carguy3J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:05 PM   #20
4x4xbrian.com
horseheads ny
01 ranger

Vehicle Specs

I agree with a fuel pressure issue or atleast a rich condition, the excess fuel is combusting in the exhaust being why it is glowing. there is likely no problem with the cats. I've been a mechanic for 10+ years and have never found a bad one other than physical damage. I say fix the fuel problem and go on with life, keep the cats I ditched mine once on my B II and hated it.

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page