Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Under the Hood

Notices

Under the Hood Ford Explorer and Ranger, Engine, troubleshooting, modifications, performance and accessories.

2004 Explorer - Won't Start, blowing fuel pump fuse

Old 02-22-2009, 11:08 AM   #1
jhard
Toronto, Ontario
'04 Limited

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
2004 Explorer - Won't Start, blowing fuel pump fuse

Ok, so a bit of a long story, so bear with me! A few days ago I go out to my Ex try to start it up... get a nice cranking, but she just won't fire up. Tried to get a jump, and still no go.

So I get it towed to my mechanic, and after 2 plus hours of trouble shooting they get it started. At that point they told me it kept blowing the fuel pump 20A fuse (Fuse #26), and they ended up swaping out the fuel pump relay with the horn relay just to test it out and that's when she fired up. So they ended up not charging me anything except bringing them back a couple of Xtra Large coffees while I ran over to the local ford to get another relay. So all in all less then $30, thought I got lucky that day.

So 2 days later, I'm out doing a couple things through out the day then hit an automatic "touchless" car wash on my way back home, and just as I'm coming out of the wash the engine dies and just would not fire back up agaun, so I check the fuses and once again the fuel pump fuses is burnt. Tried to put another in, burnt again. Now I got her towed back home, and I'm gonna have to get her looked at more indepth by Ford, as the local electrical places won't touch it because "there's fuel involved".

Has any one experienced this with a 3rd Gen Ex, or possibly has an any ideas where to look. I'm hoping it's just a simple eletrical ground issue where there's some kind of open connection or worn wire in a place that's easily repaired.
jhard is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn what modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to see less ads, no green underlined links, and many other benefits such as being able to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:39 AM   #2
jhard
Toronto, Ontario
'04 Limited

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Ah, so I had her towed to the local Ford late last night so she'd be ready when they opened at 7:30am.

Before I called the tow, I went out to try again after letting it sit for a while... just turned the ignition to On and didn't even try to crank it and it blew the fuel pump fuse again.

Now I'm just waiting anxiously for Ford to call me back with the diagnosis.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:17 PM   #3
jhard
Toronto, Ontario
'04 Limited

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Got the call from Ford...

After a few hours, they narrowed it down to a short somewhere between the Fuel Pump modulator and the fuel pump. So lots of diggins, aka labour charges... and I got a quote of about $600 to be done and fixed.

Well, there goes the new rims I was about to buy for the new rubber I just got on sale. Going to have to hold off and save some more now.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:24 PM   #4
jrford
Birmingham, MI
'10 Sport Trac

Vehicle Specs

good you got it fixed, i was going to guess fuel pump. . . .but the water said short,
Any chance did they tell you where it was, i might want to take a look and see what mine looks like.

2004 EB Quad Buckets V8 AWD, 105k
jrford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:54 PM   #5
jhard
Toronto, Ontario
'04 Limited

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Well I got the call from Ford to come pick her up, got there, Mechanics notes say "Wiring for fuel pump shorted out under rear bumper", repaired wiring and was getting "Fuel Pressure 50PSI, Clear Codes"

So I get there all excited, pay and when the guy went to bring it around front it wouldn't start again. Same symptoms, cranks strong but just not getting any fuel... only this time the fuel pump fuse WASN'T blowing.

Long story short, I had to leave her over night so they can take a look at it again in the morning. Excuse my language, but what a b*tch!

So, the saga continues. I'll update tomorrow when I get more word from Ford!
Old 02-24-2009, 03:56 PM   #6
jhard
Toronto, Ontario
'04 Limited

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Got the next call from Ford, they're telling me that the Fuel Pump Driver Module got fried from the short in the wiring.

So that's another $190 + labour.

EDIT:

Well I went and picked up the truck, everything is back to normal now. The guys at Ford cut me a break and only charged me $114 extra instead of the $190 + labour.

Last edited by jhard; 02-24-2009 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:08 AM   #7
FiryRef
Colorado Springs, CO
'04 EB / 00 Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Did you ever get any word as to where the short was near the rear bumper? I have the exact same symptoms going on right now with my '04 Ex. Blows the fuse immediately upon replacing and turning the key on.
FiryRef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:36 PM   #8
waskly
Crooklyn NY!

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiryRef View Post
Did you ever get any word as to where the short was near the rear bumper? I have the exact same symptoms going on right now with my '04 Ex. Blows the fuse immediately upon replacing and turning the key on.
cause the retard that created the harness on the explore should be shot hung and lynched. the fuel pump driver model is in the right rear quarter panel in vehicle, fuel tank is mid ship pass side. dont ask why the wires go past the tank and back to the tank that boggled me from day 1.
waskly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:02 AM   #9
jhard
Toronto, Ontario
'04 Limited

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiryRef View Post

Hey, sorry for the delay in replying...

In my case... The short was located on the fuel pump wiring harness, so all they really did is swap out the old harness for a new one in terms of actual work done.

Need access to Ford mechanic Service Information? I can supply PDF's for anything in the manual for 02-05 Explorers on request.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:02 PM   #10
pjessmaster
Ramona, Ca
2002 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

Is Inertia Fuel Shutoff suppose to be pressed in by itself?
pjessmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Tags
02-05, burnt, explorer, fuel pump, fuse

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page