Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > All Other Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles etc. > Auto Industry News

Notices

Auto Industry News Here is where you can post the latest news about Explorers and the Ford Motor Company.

New recall on 4.0 SOHC Engine

Old 01-12-2001, 11:48 AM   #1
Millarduck

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Exclamation

Just took my '98 to the dealer today for an oil change & rotation. They notcied the clicking noise from my engine and told me that the infamous cam tensioners needed to be replaced. Ford recently issued a TSB/recall on these. So the work is now free under an extended warranty for owners of that engine. If you already paid to have the tensioners replaced, Ford will reimburse you if you bring your VIN and paper work. The recall is issued for certain production plants, so that's why the VIN is required. Any Ford dealer with their Oasis system shuld be able to help you get your money back. I also heard that the extension to the warranty only covers the tensioners and possibly the manifold intake too.

Millarduck is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 01-12-2001, 04:56 PM   #2
Millarduck

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Wink

Okay here are the details. The "recall" is referenced as "Program 00M12" They replace the intake manifold gaskets & camshaft tensioners. They also replaced my throttle body under Program 99M02. I already had that recall done at my original dealer, but hey it was free.

Millarduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2001, 09:29 AM   #3
Kerisseler
Bay Village, Ohio
'97 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Question

I took mine in for the tensioners and intake manifold updates under the 00M12 program. Does anyone know if they should be replacing both tensioners? My service manager told me they are only having problems with the left one and that is the only one they would replace. I would have thought they would do both while they had it all apart. It runs great and I have been happy with my dealer but, this didn't make sence to me.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:11 PM   #4
robs2001sport
North Olmsted,ohio
2001 sport

Vehicle Specs

my 2001 explorer sports got loose and the passenger side broke we took the front of the engine off and it looks like the guy i bought it from never changed the oil anyways will they fix the tensioners so i can get it running or is there a way i can find a 4.0 sohc manufactured date was 3/2000 vin e with 4x4 i am having a real hard time trying to find that engine any help would be great thanks,Robert
robs2001sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:21 AM   #5
2000StreetRod
Greenville, SC

2000 Sport SOHC 2WD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Recall expired

The factory recall on the leaking lower intake manifold and driver side timing chain tensioner expired many years ago.
2000StreetRod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:08 AM   #6
robs2001sport
North Olmsted,ohio
2001 sport

Vehicle Specs

what i would like to do since my luck is that its expired

i wanted to put an 02 03 or newer 4.0 sohc with 4x4 in it what would work the best and what would i have to change i do want to get it to mount right up to the trans since it still good much thanks in advance,Robert
robs2001sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:20 AM   #7
neenahexplorer14
neenah wisconsin
96 xlt

Vehicle Specs

off the subject but how do i create a new thread because i want to post for a new engine mine seized
neenahexplorer14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:02 PM   #8
Turdle
Moderator Masterbaker
Humboldt, Kansas

2000 Mounty

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neenahexplorer14 View Post
off the subject but how do i create a new thread because i want to post for a new engine mine seized
go here and click " new thread"

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...splay.php?f=95
Turdle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:20 AM   #9
Jsgarfield
Flint, Mich
1998 Explorer sport

Vehicle Specs

Will an 4.0 OHV fit where my SOHV was? What type of issues can I expect in the swap? Thanks!!!
Jsgarfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:33 AM   #10
Carguy3J
Elite Explorer
North East New Jersey
'99 4dr. XLT SOHC A4WD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsgarfield View Post
Will an 4.0 OHV fit where my SOHV was? What type of issues can I expect in the swap? Thanks!!!
Yes, it would, with some minor issues. You need to research it a bit BEFORE buying a motor. There is a thread on here somewhere with all the info. Do a search.

However, it's a bad idea. You're going backwards. The SOHC is a much better motor. It's more powerful (about 50hp more), and more fuel efficient. Sure it has timing chain tensioner issues, but it's really it's only negative. The OHV's aren't perfect. They have poor top-end oiling, which leads to premature pushrod/rocker arm wear. Granted, it's easier to fix than the SOHC timing chain.

Given proper maintenance, the SOHC's can live a long happy life. Use good synthetic oil (5w30-NOT anything thicker). Also, a member on here, "CDW..."(I can't remember the rest of his ID), suggests that changing the chain TENSIONERS at regular intervals (60-70k), much like a timing belt in many cars, will go a long way towards keeping the motor in good shape. Also, when you now buy replacement timing components (new chain, guides,tensioners,etc...), the guides are an updated design/material that is more durable. This is the design/material that was used in the '03-'10 Mustang 4.0L SOHC(which will swap as a long block with the older Explorer SOHC).

Best Time 15.87 e/t @ 86.6MPH in the 1/4
Carguy3J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:27 PM   #11
Carguy3J
Elite Explorer
North East New Jersey
'99 4dr. XLT SOHC A4WD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sams01XplrSprt View Post
u got to be kidding me another recall. i have to wait and see if i get a letter from ford in the mail. maybe it came and i dunno cause i am in the bay area visiting. i am not home in so cali to check my mail.

i will be coming back on the 12th or 13th to newport beach
What are you talking about? This thread is VERY old. There is no new recall(s) for the SOHC.

Best Time 15.87 e/t @ 86.6MPH in the 1/4
Carguy3J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:17 PM   #12
Sams01XplrSprt
Southern Cali Explorer
Newport Beach California & Bay Area California

2001 Sport (sold)

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
oh my god i feel so stupid right now i didnt even look at that date stupid me