Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Under the Hood > Explorer, Ranger - Computers, Chips, Tuning

Notices

Explorer, Ranger - Computers, Chips, Tuning Programmers, chips, modules, dyno tuning for the Ford Explorer, Ranger, Mercury Mountaineer, Bronco II and Mazda Navajo.

Broken PCM...replace?

Old 02-24-2009, 09:37 PM   #1
joshwho44
Nashville, TN
'97 Sport

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Broken PCM...replace?

I have been experiencing a check engine light and poor gas mileage for the past 5 months. I have had a P0442 evap leak code but the ex passed emissions and on a scanner it shows that the evap system is ok. Every time I have reset the PCM the system monitors report inconclusive but all of them, including the evap system, give the okay after a few drive cycles. Also, my cheap scanner and my mechanic's expensive unit give erroneous values for most of the engine parameters. For example, all of the fuel trims are -100 and the oxygen sensors report 0.0 volts. He says the PCM is shot and I'm starting to believe him.

Today I pulled the PCM and open the case to find two bloated capacitors. One of my friends who is an electrical engineering here at school replaced them for me but it hasn't seemed to make any difference as of yet

I guess my next step is to replace the PCM... is it safe to buy one from Autozone or O'Reilleys? I realize I have to get it programmed by Ford after I purchase it...god knows how much we all love the stealerships
joshwho44 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:51 PM   #2
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
I bought a PCM a while ago from an auto parts store, and it was good. The second one was purchased for a different vehicle, and I had a problem with Autozone taking it back. They told me to contact the manufacturer. The manufacturer never responded to my emails, and I still have it sitting around for about 5 years. Use a credit card when you purchase a new PCM just in case they give you a hard time.
BrooklynBay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:54 AM   #3
joshwho44
Nashville, TN
'97 Sport

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Haha I hope they aren't too picky about the core... my friend has been soldering new components to the board but I doubt they will notice that

The guy on the phone at autozone told me I would need to have the new PCM flashed which didn't really surprise me. Can Ford do this out of vehicle or do I need to get the X to them with the new PCM installed already?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I read on the forum that 98 was the first year for PATS, so would I be able to have this flashed without being installed in the vehicle? The guy at the dealership said I have PATS but when I got a spare key made last year I did it at Lowes... no fancy keys that need to be programmed... so that kinda confused me
joshwho44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:47 AM   #4
kapitandanilo
makati, philippines
2001 sport trac

Vehicle Specs

Dear Sirs,
How much is a PCM for Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2001 model. I dont know what is part number but this is what the stickers read:

EEC-V MP2-111 00K24 JXV2
1L2F-12A650AAC G
6BXA111A04-AC 23257-1612

Unable to check my VIN at this time as my truc in not here at my present location.
Intend to order said part

Kindly assist I tried to register and find exact part in Ford Website but not successful
kapitandanilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:30 AM   #5
mdumalaog

Vehicle Specs

can i use a pcm from a different truck installed on my truck, I have pats and security lights blink when i try to put the used pcm on my truck, what can i do?
any help pls?/??
mdumalaog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:17 AM   #6
chopperb
Chicago
04 explorer

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The security light will blink because you are using a key that is not programmed to the new pcm. You can get a used pcm but make sure it comes from the same year and model. You need to get your keys programmed to it. If you know someone with ford ids/vcm they can do it easily.
chopperb is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Tags
ecu, pcm

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page