suspention questions, left lean, AAL & TT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

suspention questions, left lean, AAL & TT

glued2it

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt
After figuring out the that the lean to left was not my fault(entirely), I decided to fix it and add some lift.

I'm not sure how the leaf swap will fix it without it leaning to right at the same angle? Not sure how much TT will be needed to level it out.
Yet I haven't tried it yet either.

I would try to get some aftermarket springs but I don't think thats going to be in my budget.:mad:

I figure I'd go with AAL and shackles. I'm assuming that the 2 together will give an combined lift hight?
(shackles part # War-153 and Pro comp Part Number: E3713120)

What about shocks. I'm no expert when comes to them.
I see a lot of gas shocks pretty cheap.
What should I look for when choosing shocks/struts?

(I don't do any heavy towing)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The AAL, shackles and tt will probably take care of it. if you click on the link in my signature below you will find everything you need to know about all of that.

The AAL, shackles and tt will probably take care of it. if you click on the link in my signature below you will find everything you need to know about all of that.

Yes I read and saved for the upcomming project for refference.

How it works.
So it is my understanding, It just does not droop as bad on the passanger side.Then the TT is for the final adjustmaent.

That will solve the lean got it.:thumbsup:

Now the AAl specs show it will lift 1.5-2.5"

The shackles show they will lift 1.25"

would that be a total of 2.75-3.75"?

Your drivers side lean has come from more weight on the drivers side. The problem is in the rear, not the front. A TT will not fix the lean. Swapping leaf packs from one side to the other is just a temp fix. The add a leafs will not correct the lean either. To get rid of the lean, you have to replace the leaf packs all together. A new set will do it, a used set with a higher arch will do it and give you some lift as well. The shackles added height and the change of angle will displace the weight differently, and flatten your leafs even faster. If you want to just get by for awhile, a swap from side to side, will do it for a bit. You can go to the junk yard and get a leaf pack from the passenger side, and replace the drivers side with it, that is cheap enough. If you have a worn leaf pack, and add shackles, it will flatten out your old leaf pack in a matter of weeks, it will be worse than b/4.

Your drivers side lean has come from more weight on the drivers side. The problem is in the rear, not the front. A TT will not fix the lean. Swapping leaf packs from one side to the other is just a temp fix. The add a leafs will not correct the lean either. To get rid of the lean, you have to replace the leaf packs all together. A new set will do it, a used set with a higher arch will do it and give you some lift as well. The shackles added height and the change of angle will displace the weight differently, and flatten your leafs even faster. If you want to just get by for awhile, a swap from side to side, will do it for a bit. You can go to the junk yard and get a leaf pack from the passenger side, and replace the drivers side with it, that is cheap enough. If you have a worn leaf pack, and add shackles, it will flatten out your old leaf pack in a matter of weeks, it will be worse than b/4.

Now I understand that the swap is only a temp fix.

I was also thinking the junk yard was good idea.
I'll probably do that for now and still add a leaf.

Back