Vacuum modulator valve replacement. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Vacuum modulator valve replacement.

sawatson

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 explorer
I would like some info and maybe some pics on replacing the modulator valve on my 91 exploder

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! I've renamed, and moved your thread to the transmission section. You have to remove the heat shield to get to it. Be careful not to lose the pin when you pull out the modulator. There is a bracket with one bolt holding it on. It's not a hard job to do, but it's hard to get to. You could either get to it from underneath (remove the catalytic converter) or from the top (remove the front seats, and pull back the carpet). It's a good idea to clean out the bore with a wire brush before you install the new parts.

Here are non adjustable modulators: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...t_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance
http://www.autozone.com/R,2033725/v...partType,00026/shopping/partProductDetail.htm
41ESLwI8bzL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
chlmv214003.jpg

transmission modulator valve

ok, where is the pin you are talking about?
if i pull the seats out, is there a panel to remove or do i have to cut a hole and weld it back shut?
this is kind of a work beater / son's get here and there vehicle...
by the way , thanks to you that responded!
also, the local napa says there are 2 different ones...probably have to wait til i get it out huh?

brooklynnbay

someone says you are the trans guru?
i have a 2002 focus.....trans is not shifting properly...doesn't seem to down shift when coming to a stop....then when you start out you go about 30 feet and it shifts real hard and chirps the tires...there is 65 k on the car....i still have a warranty and i'm setting up an appointment....any thoughts?

The pin is in the modulator. It goes into the side where you see the O ring in the above pictures. The floor has a removable panel in the hump area. There are actually 3 types of modulators (4 if you want to get very technical about fine details, and 5 if you count the OEM design). Do you want to get an adjustable or non adjustable part? As for the Focus, when was the last time the fluid & filter were changed? Was the correct fluid added? Is it low on fluid?

adjustable? modulator valve

adjustable? what is the difference......well ok.....why do i need or not need adjustable?

I am a " keep it simple" type of guy .............so explain the adjustable one.
I'm thinking i didn't ever adjust this one.....and it's in a really hard to get to spot......my dad has a body shop , and a nice lift.....and all the tools..which do you think is easier, less time consuming...seats out or cat converter out?
as far as the focus......unknown on the fluid change.....i bought it used about a month ago....like i said it is still under the dealer warranty...i have a $50 deductable.

The one in the picture above is the non adjustable version. Some people like to fine tune their shift points with the adjustable version. The non adjustable version is the lowest price out of all of them. You could get to it from the bottom since you a lift. Be prepared to start cutting rusted exhaust bolts. Get spare bolts, flanges, nuts, high temperature silicone, and anti seize in addition to the modulator. You might want to check the condition of the heat shield around the modulator, and the servos. You could replace the 2 servos at the same time since everything is going to be removed at the same time. Use Vaseline on the modulator pin to keep it from falling out during installation.

I have a 93 4x4 and i got trans fluid goin into my fpr. Assuming its a bad modulator valve I looked for it and didn't see it. It's possible it could be hiding behind my catalitic converter. Am I right thinking this? If so then my works cut out for me. Lots of rusty bolts to torque off. Did not see a hose coming out of that area so I'm assuming the entire hose has come off. It this the metal one coming off the tree? I have another hose missing right above the PCV valve. Any ideas? I have a good pic of it but can't figure out how to attach it here. It's asking for a web address but it's in my folder. Thanks guys!

vacuumtree.jpg

here's my pic. its taped off with a black zip tie. maybe this pic will post.

heres a diagram i had laying around

42122872.gif

Back