Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2006 - 2010 Explorer Mountaineer 4th Generation > Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers

Notices

Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers Stock 2006 -2010 Ford Explorer Forum. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

Parking brake handle is broken.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:19 PM   #1
Essex4x4
Johnston Iowa
2011 Dodge Grand Caravan

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Thumbs down Parking brake handle is broken.

Yesterday I went to pull the parking break release handle and the plastic end literally broke apart in my hand. All I did was pull it as usual and the black plastic end piece fell apart into 4 pieces. Has this happened to anyone else here? I have no intention on buying the part to fix this, seems like a waste of money to me, but if anyone has any cheap ideas I'm all up for it.

The Swagger Wagon
http://youtu.be/ql-N3F1FhW4
Fuel economy, cargo and family fun power... yep I bought a minivan Love it!!
Essex4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:43 PM   #2
Sams01XplrSprt
Southern Cali Explorer
Newport Beach California & Bay Area California

2001 Sport (sold)

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
that sux i hate when that happens

Old 03-16-2009, 06:26 PM   #3
Essex4x4
Johnston Iowa
2011 Dodge Grand Caravan

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
HA sucks doesnt even begin to describe how i felt. I mean Come on my truck is only 3 years old, and its falling apart in my hands??

The Swagger Wagon
Old 03-17-2009, 08:58 PM   #4
Chris K.
Gotham City, TX
2008 Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

This happened to my 97 Sport after 11 years. Actually, it was done by CarMax when they were test driving my truck for trade-in (don’t get me started). Since they refused to fix it, here is what I did. BTW, the mechanism is the same on my 08 Mountaineer.

I went to the local junk yard and bought the entire parking brake mechanism, pedal, springs, release lever, and all for $25. All you care about is the pull handle, attached rod, and dashboard mounting bracket.

At the end of the rod attached to the handle is a rivet. Score a cross on the head of the rivet using a Dremel cut-off wheel. Then using (I think) a 1/4" drill bit, drill out the rivet. Now you'll have just what you need.

Find or go to the hardware store and get a @ 1/4" diameter by 1/2" long screw with a matching friction nut (the ones with the vinyl inserts). That is how you'll attach it to the rest of the mechanism still in your truck.

Now repeat the scoring and drilling operation on the parking brake rod/rivet still in your truck. Once separated from the rest of the mechanism, you can unscrew the handle/rod from the dashboard. There are two TORX screws under there. I don't remember the size.

Now just attach your "new" handle/rod into the dash and tighten the TORX screws. Insert the 1/4" by 1/2" screw into the hole on the rod and attached it to the rest of the mechanism, mimicking the rivet you just removed. Tighten the vinyl coated screw just enough so it won't wobble or rattle and you're done.

Much cheaper than the $300 plus installation for an entirely new parking brake mechanism.

Chris

Old 03-17-2009, 09:23 PM   #5
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Sometimes you could get a similar part from Dorman/Motormite/Help. Check WWW.Motormite.Com or WWW.DormanProducts.Com.
BrooklynBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:29 AM   #6
Essex4x4
Johnston Iowa
2011 Dodge Grand Caravan

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Now if i could only find a junkyard close to me, i have no idea where to look, i will try looking online and in the yellow pages tomorrow. Thank you for the speedy replies so far guys, i might just fix this after all.

The Swagger Wagon
Old 03-21-2009, 09:05 PM   #7
mariano.garcia
Lewisville, TX
'06 EB

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This also happened to me. The cookies are supposed to crumble not the parking brake release handle.

I'm pulling the bare handle. Do you know how much the part cost?
mariano.garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:07 PM   #8
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Welcome to this forum! Check WWW.RockAuto.Com or WWW.FastPartsNetwork.Com for the parts that you need.
BrooklynBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:16 PM   #9
spikedog
Wyoming
'06 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Well, happened to me now too. I can still operate the brake release with the metal piece that's left, but that sux. All I need is the plastic handle part, but it looks impossible to thread that back on the metal hook. If Ford is going to make the handle so flimsy, they outta make it easily replaceable. More than likely my wife is just letting the handle snap back instead of easing it back in, but the damage is done.

So the whole assembly needs replacing? I'll root around on RockAuto to maybe get a picture of the part.
spikedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:02 PM   #10
bill32399
Oregon
07 ST XLT 4x4 V8

Vehicle Specs

I work with alot of cars and this is actually quite common on alot of brands. The hood handle breaks in all cars just as much.
bill32399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:09 PM   #11
spikedog
Wyoming
'06 XLT

Vehicle Specs

RockAuto doesn't list the part. FastPartsNetwork lists the part, but no picture, so hard to be sure what I'd be getting (at $108, I'm not going to 'wing it' either).
Old 01-29-2010, 01:22 AM   #12
Essex4x4
Johnston Iowa
2011 Dodge Grand Caravan

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Well seeing that this thread came back to life i'll give you all my 411 on how i fixed my parking brake handle. I didn't, i just ignored the broken peice and kept using the metal part, it works fine and its cheap. Didn't cost me a dime, or even a teeny weeny penny.

The Swagger Wagon
Old 01-29-2010, 08:58 AM   #13
spikedog
Wyoming
'06 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Checked with the local Ford dealer, and they want $128 for the entire assembly. So I glued it together with superglue gel and put a hose clamp around the 'panhandle' of the handle. IF that don't hold, I guess I'll be using the metal hook too. Annoying, but not worth $128 and a couple hours of screaming at the inside of my car.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:33 AM   #14
edwx
Syracuse, NY
'06 XLS

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Interesting........I purchased a pre-owned '06 in Nov. of '08 and I noticed that they sold it to me with the parking brake handle missing. Lucky for me that I noticed it while it was still under warranty. I don't see how they could have missed it, unless they never tried the parking brake. If they did notice it, I'm sure they were hoping that I wouldn't.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:09 AM   #15
interceptor06
Washington State
'06 Explorer Limited

Vehicle Specs

Metal hook for me too
interceptor06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:42 AM   #16
Joe Dirt
Elite Explorer

07 Camry

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
This is kind of bizzare... Seems like Ford has an issue on these- I've never heard of the handle woes. Has anyone gone higher up like to a Ford area rep and gotten a response? I've never had an e-brake handle or hood pull bust apart on any Ford vehicle I've owned... Bad batch, bad supplier, etc? Interesting...

Old 02-01-2010, 03:26 PM   #17
96eb96
Albany, NY
96 EB V6 OHV 4WD

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dirt View Post
This is kind of bizzare... Seems like Ford has an issue on these- I've never heard of the handle woes. Has anyone gone higher up like to a Ford area rep and gotten a response? I've never had an e-brake handle or hood pull bust apart on any Ford vehicle I've owned... Bad batch, bad supplier, etc? Interesting...
My 96 broke off too. Redrilled a tight hole(measured with a digital caliper), pressed the shaft in with some some plastic epoxy. So far so good.
96eb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:13 AM   #18
etracer
2006 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

It looks like this is a known issue.

Technical Service Bulletin TSB 07-17-4:
PARKING BRAKE RELEASE HANDLE BREAKS - VEHICLES BUILT BEFORE 12/1/2006

2006-2007 Explorer
2007 Explorer Sport Trac
2006-2007 Mountaineer

ISSUE:
Some 2006-2007 Explorer 4dr, Mountaineer, and 2007 Explorer Sport Trac vehicles built prior to 12/1/2006 may exhibit separation of parking brake release handle. The issue has no effect on brake or parking brake performance.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct condition by replacing the handle.

Part number: 7L2Z-2780-A (Lever Assembly)
etracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #19
rmurray
Los Angeles
'03 XLS and '06 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Any new developments on this issue? My handle just broke for the 2nd time. 1st time was under warranty. Now I'm stuck. I might just rig something, but suggestions are welcome. I'm thinking I might visit Ace Hardware and see if they have something I can put together. Or, maybe I'll make something out of wood. ???
rmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:29 AM   #20
spikedog
Wyoming
'06 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Geez, I'd forgotten about this. Guess my fix is still working, eh.

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page