Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, & Differentials

Notices

Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, & Differentials Transmissions, Transfer Cases. A4LD, 4R70W, 4R44E, 4R55E, 5R44E, 5R55E, M5OD, BW 1354, Control Trac, GEM, AWD. Ford 8.8", Dana 35

FM146 Tran's in '91 Explorer

Old 03-26-2009, 01:38 PM   #1
djmillett
Boise, Idaho
1994 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
FM146 Tran's in '91 Explorer

I did some checking but didn't find what I was looking for.

I bought a '91 Explorer that was converted to manual with the Mitsubishi FM146 transmission. The previous owner had put a new starter in it which shortly after getting the explorer stopped working. In doing some checking I discovered the flywheel was chewed up.

I picked up a flyweel from the junkyard for a '91 manual Explorer and discovered when I went to buy the new cluch that although it looked to be the same size was different than the flywheel in the explorer.

To make a long story short, I now have a '91 manual flywheel and cluch with a FM146 transmission and I'm trying to find out if this setup will even work and if so what starter works with it?
djmillett is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:04 PM   #2
solitary ogre
Surrey, B.C.
'91 explorer, '88 bll

Vehicle Specs

when the ring gear on my flywheel got chewed up i bought a new gear from Ford. i hammered off the old gear then i put the flywheel in the deep freeze overnight. in the morning i warmed up the ring gear in the oven at 400 degrees for about 15 to 20 minutes.
i put lock-tite around the flywheel and used welding gloves to handle the ring gear. i set right in place without any persuasion with a waiting hammer. within 2 minutes it had cooled enough that there was no way no how it was coming off. that was 6 years ago and it is still running fine.
solitary ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:31 PM   #3
djmillett
Boise, Idaho
1994 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I already have a new flywheel. My question is will the flywheel and starter for a stock manual which is the Mazda transmission work or do I need to use the flywheel for the Ranger the Mitsubishi transmission came from.

I didn't realize the transmission in my '91 explorer was not the stock tranny and I bought and installed what would be the stock flywheel and cluch. When I installed the starter it started but the starter would not disengage.

Will the stock starter for a '91 Explorer work with the stock flywheel mounted on the FM146 tranny or do I need to use the Ranger starter and fywheel that the FM146 tanny came from?
djmillett is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page