Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

Jack and Spare wheel crank handle

Old 04-02-2009, 12:57 AM   #1
99XSP
Mishawaka, IN
1999 XL Sport

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Question Jack and Spare wheel crank handle

Hm, I searched, but couldn't find any matching answer.

Jack and crank handle (for the spare wheel) are missing on my '99. I saw that the plastic cover in the rear (on the driver side) has the mount for a small wrench or something. Is that the crank handle for the spare wheel as well? Looks kind of short.

Or is there a separate handle? On my 1st Gen, it was mounted under the hood.

Does anyone maybe have pictures? I'm going to a junkyard to get the parts, but don't know what I all need.

Thanks for any input!

Greetings!

Driving foreign now, older, more miles, no issues. No need to say more.
99XSP is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn what modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to see less ads, no green underlined links, and many other benefits such as being able to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:14 AM   #2
eXcali
Bourbonnais, IL
98 Explorer XLT AWD 5.0

Vehicle Specs

yes that is indeed the location and the handle. It is only about 8-10 inches long. I carry an 18'' breaker bar and 19mm sockets to make short work of tire changes. I also toss my hitch in there so I always have it available.
eXcali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:35 AM   #3
ErnieX
Melrose, FL
96 XLT

Vehicle Specs

The mounting brackets on the back of the panel is for the lug wrench. The jack stands up in the compartment. You should also have two extension rods that are stored under the rear seats. (Flip the seats down and look under the lift up panel) It is actually the end of one of the rods that fits in the jack and is used to lower the spare. The lug wrench works as a crank handle when attached to the extension rods.

EE
ErnieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:41 AM   #4
gmanpaint
Torsion Bar Free
since 2010

94 XLT-95 FX4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
I lost one half of my handle, and the other half had the end missing on it, so it just spun in the winch. A easy quick fix for me was to just use my long one piece crank handle from my 1st gen.

When you look for a replacement, make sure it has the tip! It has a to have the tip to be able to work! They pop off and get left in the winch sometimes. A design flaw if you ask me. The tip has a slight hook on it.

The Black Hole

Pugly
gmanpaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:50 AM   #5
99XSP
Mishawaka, IN
1999 XL Sport

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Exclamation

Thanks so much for all your replies.

So I am looking for:

- jack
- lug wrench
- 2 extension rods

I will flip up my rear seats and do some searching, who knows what I will find there. Maybe I get lucky.

GMAxxx: Thanks for the details about the tip. You are right, the whole think wont work if the tip was missing.

Thanks all. I'll do some searching and will update. The junkyard close to where I live has currently 7 Explorers sitting there (2ndGen). None of them had the wrench nor the jack in it.

Greetings!

Driving foreign now, older, more miles, no issues. No need to say more.
99XSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 03:19 PM   #6
SEOLTOIR

Vehicle Specs

Unhappy Spare wheel

Cannot get spare down. I think i am missing tip. What does it look like? Is it square? Is it long? It fits into square lug i suppose. My spare is hanging loose.:
SEOLTOIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 04:08 PM   #7
BBQ Bandit
Central PA
'97 XLT 5.0 AWD

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEOLTOIR View Post
Cannot get spare down. I think i am missing tip. What does it look like? Is it square? Is it long? It fits into square lug i suppose. My spare is hanging loose.:

A while ago ... used the largest and longest flat blade screwdriver in the crank opening... and used a large deep socket that would fit over the grip of the screwdriver handle... and started to ratchet/crank down/up for the spare.

Most of the biggie screwdrivers have a rectangular/square shaft... suitable for a wrench to bite on it. (Then I ran to the junkyard to get the 2 rod pieces... had the jack and handle... but no rods).
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:41 AM   #8
SEOLTOIR

Vehicle Specs

Smile Spare wheel

Thanks for advice re screwdriver BBQ Bandit - worked fine for me thanks. Would however like to get a tip, if anybody has one.
SEOLTOIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:10 PM   #9
KPT
NC
'95 XL 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanpaint View Post
When you look for a replacement, make sure it has the tip! It has a to have the tip to be able to work! They pop off and get left in the winch sometimes. A design flaw if you ask me. The tip has a slight hook on it.
The tip on mine is broken off and it works just fine in the tire winch. doesn't work on the jack obviously but the tip is not needed for the winch.
KPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:34 PM   #10
Lloyd10977
Elite Explorer
Trenton, NJ

1995 Limited

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just use the lug wrench. The pointed tip fits both the winch and the jack very well.

Black , street stock, 1995 Ford Explorer Limited, 4.0L-OHV V6 with AirHog filter, iridium spark plugs w/Taylor wires, 4dr, auto w/tow package and 3.73 Traction-Lok rear, 4WD, 4 wheel disk brakes with ABS, with tan leather, sunroof and engine block heater, made in Canada. Rear leaf springs from a '78 Bronco 3" wide spring pack added to the stock 2.5" wide main spring, 1.2" lift.
Lloyd10977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:24 PM   #11
TomCat_Ford
MI
'98 Sport & '13 Fiesta SE

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieX View Post
You should also have two extension rods that are stored under the rear seats. (Flip the seats down and look under the lift up panel
Since he has a Sport, the rods are actually under the carpet in the trunk area. They're behind the seats, not under them (like they are in the 4D models).
TomCat_Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:01 AM   #12
gijoecam
Village Idiot
Trenton, MI
98 ExSport, '00 F-150

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCat_Ford View Post
Since he has a Sport, the rods are actually under the carpet in the trunk area. They're behind the seats, not under them (like they are in the 4D models).
Correct. In the rear hatch area, reach forward and grab the front most edge of the carpet. You'll feel a plastic lip. Pop the lip up and roll the carpet back. The two extension sections of crank rod should be snapped down in there.

One end goes through the body into the crank. The other end slips into the square hole in the lug wrench, so that the lug wrench acts as the crank. Pretty simple design (if you can figure it out).

-Joe

"We need to allow Darwinism take it's course and let the idiots weed themselves out of existance." ~ Rick Horwitz
We must believe in free will we have no choice.
~ Isaac Bashevis Singer
I'm not smart, just a resourceful idiot. ~ Me
gijoecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:02 AM   #13
moexplorer97
'97 Sport 4x4

Vehicle Specs

I'm glad I found this thread.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:42 PM   #14
Electrohacker
Clinton Twp, MI
'96 XLT V8 4WD

Vehicle Specs

one time I had a flat on I-94 in the bad part of detroit, with a half-shoulder to park on...

the damn lug wrench was missing but luckily I had my wrench set so I got the lug nuts off

getting the wheel down was a challenge, I took the second extension rod and beat it over the concrete median till it bent, the bend allowed me to lower the tire and use the jack

my truck's build up (in progress)
Electrohacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:08 PM   #15
Joe Dirt
Elite Explorer

07 Camry

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrohacker View Post
I took the second extension rod and beat it over the concrete median till it bent, the bend allowed me to lower the tire and use the jack
I know the area, and the visual of you hatcheting something into the ground in large overhead swipes drew no odd looks at all- seriously... I grew up near there, drove by there all the time, and I would have just looked straight ahead and drove by like anyone driving through the D...

Old 02-28-2011, 11:26 AM   #16
dibroc
pasadena, ca.
1999 sport

Vehicle Specs

does any one what other ford model jack handle works on the 1999 exploer. I have lost the two piece crank that is used to lower the spare and work the jack and am headed to salavage yard to a replacemet. thanks Dibroc
dibroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:27 PM   #17
fordguy2360
truro ns
2000 explorer

Vehicle Specs

I'm glad I found this thread very helpful as is this website
fordguy2360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends: