Retrofit hid projector on 08 explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Retrofit hid projector on 08 explorer

Hi there just wondering can you retrofit an 08 explorer with hid projectors. The guy who installed my hids said that ford is the only brand that you can't open the headlghts because ford uses some crazy silicon. and the headlight would crack or something. Any help is greatly apprecated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Turns out my info was wrong, the G2's aren't out yet. THey have been taking forever in development. The G2's suppsoedly have a 3-3.5" lens on them and have rear firing LEDs to light up the housing
Bi-Xenon_Projector_Lens_Light_Generation_2.jpg

There is a picture of the G2 in what appears to be a Honda Fit.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

cool, thanks

btw, why do people say they aren't that great compared to oem?? How would they fare compared to say lincoln aviator or navigator hids??

Is the light pattern worse than stock?? I thought the stock weren't bad, I do prefer hids cuz the light output is awesome.

thanks

they are smaller and so is are the lenses they are 2inch

cool, thanks

btw, why do people say they aren't that great compared to oem?? How would they fare compared to say lincoln aviator or navigator hids??

Is the light pattern worse than stock?? I thought the stock weren't bad, I do prefer hids cuz the light output is awesome.

thanks

When I say OEM I mean OEM projectors like TL, FX, etc. These are slightly worse than the bottom line OEM projectors (Hella E55's, E46's etc.). Comparison wise, these will give you a similar cutoff (good!) but with less width and intensity. OEM projectors like a TL give you LOADS of width and intensity that trumps these types of projectors EASILY.

It will be brighter than your stock halogens for sure and to make things better it won't glare people.

Click me
These look to be the same items offered by rsi-hid.com for only $99. Might be worth a shot.

Very late response on my part, but those are complete garbage compared to actually retro fitting some fxr, ls430, or tl oem projectors. The oem are made for HID and you can get bulb spacers and clear lense swaps much better performance and not cheap looking, you get what you pay for with auto parts, please checkout http://store.theretrofitsource.com/ Matt is awesome and very knowledgeable. They have awesome prices if you'll diy. I've done a lot of research on this, NO ONE makes aftermarket projectors for 06 and up explorers...I've contacted manufactorers too and they aren't doing anything and have no plan to right now. There are, however, some after market fog lamp projectors on ebay for 06 and up explorers, but they're for halogen h3 bulbs, yes you could do hid but the projector was made for halogen light so performance might not be that great. but its an option. I plan on doing the retro but I'm waiting till the begining of the year, so when I finally do it I will post pics, lots of pics....including beam patterns..you can checkout beam patterns at the above website ans see what I mean, they even compare oem vs oem with clear lense swap, HUGE difference....

$100 value projectors should be "not as good" as $300 - $400 projectors.
As noted either will probably be better that OEM lights w/glaring HID.
People can only do what they can afford....But thanks for the info.;)

Those projectors don't look at all bad for that price. I was on that Retrofit site on Nov.27 registered and asked a simple question and till this day no one can answer it. If you buy a system from them maybe they might answer? It took me a while to find out for myself but I ordered a set of true projectors from Japan for my Lincoln Town Car since all their Lincoln Town Car are equipped with projectors out there. It cost me 450.00 but no cutting or hacking the lense covers or anything and comes with osram ballasts and all. But that site they're really no help (for me at least) unless you're into mostly imports which I see a lots of.

Some of the retrofit forums are pretty dead. Especially the high-intensity forum. The main one that has essentially ALL of the traffic is the HIDPlanet forum. You will find loads of people on HIDPlanet who have retrofit pretty much every car made since the 1970s (one guy retrofit a 1930s hot rod).

That being said, what was your question? I can likely answer it (or atleast try to).

My question was how hard is it or has anyone tried retrofitting projector headlamps into a Lincoln Town Car. Since no one answer that question, my nephew who was stationed in Iraq just got transferred to Japan and saw a bunch of Lincoln Town Cars with projectors but no cornering light which I believe I can fix that by rewiring it. Thanks for your help in advance.:)

Hey, just wanted to jump in. Yes, I actually have retrofitted FX-r projectors (200$) into my 07 sport trac. Yea the tech guy is right, the sealant is a beast... its like "sonically" sealed or something along those lines, the housing will start to melt and go soft way before the sealant starts to melt. Here are some pictures of the finished product... the output pic is the best one I can find, they have been re-aimed since then. :D
img2454b.jpg

img24602.jpg

What kind of shroud do you have? I'm trying to find the best look for the GEN3's...

How did you get the 07 Computer not to throw check light Codes

I purchased the G3 Light Kit in a Group Buy on HID planet forum. But I am getting the check bulb signal from the computer. I think I might need some resistors?

looks good alien u got more pics of ur hids

Yea, here is a few more, they are old... before I even put the lenses back on the headlights, so they are pretty crudely aimed, but you get the idea. I might have more this weekend, I am putting in 3000K hid foglights. If anyone wants to know, I used FX-r projectors, 6000k bulbs, and 55 watt ballasts.
Lexus LS 460 vs My Car: :D
dsc02386v.jpg

Lincoln MKX vs My Car: :D
dsc02379w.jpg

Pictures of the projector in headlight:
img2462.jpg

img2464kr.jpg

more pics further away from walls and long night ones to see how far the beam goes would be awesome

I just put in the new fog lights, I will take pictures tomorrow night/put them up then. Sorry for the wait. School is just a huge hassle...

Here you go,
Headlights only:
img2613q.jpg

Fog lights only:
img2614k.jpg

Headlights and Fog lights:
img2616a.jpg

If you want me to get better pictures when it isn't raining just let me know.

My sport trac also just got new shoes! that might be up soon too! :D

Edit: Just a FYI, the headlights are FX-r projectors (I think I said that) and the fogs are in stock housings

-Kevin

Back