• Register Today It's free!

Disc brake anti-rattle clips...?

FarmTruk

Reaction score
City, State
Wallburg, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT 4x4, 172k miles
Hey everybody. I mostly lurk here, but this is great forum, and has been very useful to me over the past couple of years.

I recently did a front brake job on my '94 XLT 4x4. I now have noticed a slight metallic "ping/clang" noise and am fairly certain it's because I did not put AR clips on the inside pads. The noise disappears whenever I touch the brake pedal. Best way to describe this noise is it's as if you were tapping on the disc with a hammer.

I've searched google, this forum, and Glacier's EXCELLENT tutorial on 1st gen brakes, but have not seen any pic that shows this clip and/or where/how it's installed on the inner pad, at least specific to the 1st gen Explorer's pad.

I DID purchase from AutoZone a new caliper hardware kit that had the 4 metal/rubber retainer pins. There were also 2 small clip-looking things in the hardware bag, but the guys at AZ thought they were "squeal" clips that scrape the disc when the pads wear thin, giving audible warning that the pads are due to be replaced. mmmkay...

I've never used that type of "squeal" clip on any brake job before, so thinking they were optional, I just tossed them, along with the old pins.

Now, I'm thinking they were in fact the AR clips, and should have been installed. And this is what is now causing this noise.

At the risk of redundancy...does anyone have a pic of these clips, and where they are to be installed? I suppose the inner pad will NOT fall out, as it's retained by the grooves in the caliper bracket and the piston. But it's annoying, especially following an otherwise good, new brake job.

Thanks in advance.

:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nvm.

Found the pic in my Haynes manual...

For future board knowledge... :)

antirattleclip1.jpg

I just wish I hadn't thrown my brand new clips away along with the old pins. :(

antirattleclip2.jpg

mmmkay...

Got the clips only at AutoZone today. Stk # 704460. $4.99/pr.

Will be fixing the rattle tomorrow afternoon. :D

antirattleclips1stgenexplorer.jpg

...I wonder if this is for the 93-94 models only and thats why you could't find any info...:dunno:

...I, just this week, installed new front pads again on my 91 X and did not receive those clips...I haven't noticed any rattling from them but will be sure to listen for it...

...Thanks for posting this useful info up...:biggthump

...I, just this week, installed new front pads again on my 91 X and did not receive those clips...I haven't noticed any rattling from them but will be sure to listen for it...
QUOTE]

Tbars, through all the brake jobs I've ever done, I've never gotten any clips either. It's becaue these clips are good for so long, that usually you can just re-use the clips. I had to specifically ask for them when I needed mine a few years ago.

My last brake job though, I used Performance Friction Carbon Metallic pads, and I was not able to use the rattle clips, it was to much to try and stuff them in, so I left mine off. The pedal pulses more like ABS kicking in, but I've lightened my food action and it's been fine.

...I will keep an eye on mine and maybe will put these on to see if there is a difference...:dunno:

yeah...I don't ever remember seeing these on my pads before either. And I've changed them out several times.

But for whatever reason, this brake job...the driver's side pad started "rattling". Sounds like a pebble inside a metal hubcap, if any of you have ever heard that.

Won't get them on today. I got a better offer for my afternoon/evening activities than getting dirty with the X.

Will report back with results soon...

Well, time for the belated update...

These clips did exactly what I hoped they'd do. The low-speed rattle was excorcised. Brakes are nice & quiet now.

I just wish I had not thrown the 1st new set of them away. But I couldn't for the life of me figure out what they were for, nor how they were to be installed. My hope is this thread will save at least one person the trouble, annoyance and frustration I had with this issue.

i just went through this also,i too have never known what they were for till now,mine is a 92 and has all ways came with my pads i just never put them on but this time they were making all kinds of noise and these fixed it,but here is another thread just last week
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247111

Interesting.... I too have the rattle and will see about getting a set of these... THANKS for the info.....

My 94 xlt had the exact same noise after I had a brake job done so I ended up taking it back to the shop 3 times before they figured out what was causing the "metal clacking clanking" sound I was talking about. Clips in, clack-clank gone.

Thought I had a broken shock or some damn thing LOL!

Glad you started this thread. Good info.

i have a 94 sport. Put new brakes on had the same (pebble in cap) noise. dthanks to this board i found out i need anti rattle clips. Old shoes never had them installed. i think the better brakes you buy , the less of a chane you have with the brake shoes rattling.

The Anti rattle clips worked like a charm

I think the reason kits don't come with the clips is that they usually give you
adhesive to apply to the back of the pads before installation. It certainly doesn't hurt to reinstall the old clips if they're still in good shape. Ray S. in PA

hey, do you know anywhere on the internet i could purchase these or do u have a link, i got some from my local auto store that ddi not fit my 91 explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...You can check with our vendors on the bottom of the Forums page...;)

Back