Adding a aux input to factory stereo | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding a aux input to factory stereo

gotbst05

Reaction score
City, State
Kenosha, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer XLT
I've been searching and searching for some time now & I have yet to find something that will allow me to hook an aux input up to my factory stereo. So, what I've got... 1999 Explorer with factory stereo AM/FM/Cassette/Single CD. It does not have a CD changer input, nor does it have the JBL system or the MACH system. I'm currently using a FM transmitter, but as most of you know, they suck. Everything I've found so far is for the factory stereo with a CD changer input. Any ideas, suggestion or advice would be great! Thanks! :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats basically what he has dude lol.
Just a more expensive "hardwired" version that sounds the exact same as the 50$ ones from meijers, trust me ive tried a million and my dad tried one you suggested.

Im pretty sure theres actually a kit for stock radios that some how wires into the harness for a REAL input, ill try to find it and post

Well I've had more luck with he modulators than the transmitters. and plus it was the first thing I found.

thanks for the inputs Nix and Brian. I haven't thought about a modulator, but Brian as a valid point. I tried to create something, but that obviously failed. Somehow, I need to get the tape player to recognize that there's a tape in there w/o there actually being one... sorta tricky... still open to suggestions

i have a 2001 xls with the am.fm.cd.cassette head unit, and i´ve got about 70 gygs of music, so burning cd´s was not an option, my solution was to buy for 3 bucks one of those cassettes that have an aux. cord attatched, and i just pushed the fake casette in the unit, it is recognized as a normal tape, and the cord drops out and has a normal mini jack, which is compatible with almost any mp3 device. I use a 160GB ipod, and is sounds pretty good. To improve sound quality, it might be a good idea to use a cassette head cleaner first. My cable is long enough to have my ipod in the little elongated holder that is near the cupholders (short center console), and even for the person in the back center seat to lean a little and control the ipod. It really out performs any sort of FM trnasmitter i´ve used by far. Hope this helps... good luck.

thanks for your input too coppe, but i've already tried one of those and it wasn't the best thing. i may be trying the fm modulator. i would just go out and buy a new head unit, but i'm not planning on keeping the XLT for much longer. It's a 99 and something a little newer is calling my name, but at the same time i'd like to be able to play my ipod while i still have the XLT.

i agree with the aux cassette. my friend has one because he's too cheap to buy a new head unit, it actually sounds pretty good. I think it's stupid because he payed 700 dollars for the amp and subs but won't buy a head unit... tisk tisk.

I found an iPod interface on www.installer.com, it's an aux adapter that plugs in to the factory inputs. Should be getting it on wednesday. It was about $150, but should be worth every penny. Those FM transmitters/modulators or cassette tape adapters are worthless.

interface module

yea i got 1 of those modules, for about 150$. usa spec makes a good one. i love it.

i have read about it but never tried it . . . some radio repair shops will for a fee add an Aux input using the CD or Tape inputs. They take the radio apart solder some wires on the circuit board for the inputs, essentially they replace the CD inputs with Aux Inputs. No idea on the cost.

~US$5 if you DIY, go to instructables and search for it, it has also been linked in this forum when asked before, I know I linked it a couple of times...

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piefrdnaux.html

>>> 1998-2004 Explorer - Radio Series 868 (Except '04 with AM/FM/CD radio)

if you have the following plug on the back of the radio:

ford20.jpg

I do know that some of the Taurus folks have wired jacks to the output wires of the tape decks, then made a "fake tape" with no "tape" inside- pulled it all out. Then when they plug the wire into the mp3 and put the fake tape in, or select the tape mode, it fools the head unit into thinking that the mp3 is the tape and it plays. The only downside is that you will have a tape in the deck, but it seems to work well for them.

Ok this going to sound stupid what do you guys mean by 'head unit'? I'm also trying to come up with a quality solution for hooking my iPod up to the car.

HU=the stereo
Do a search here or on ebay for Ipod interface, there are several from cheap fm transmitters to more expensive units

I like my $100 solution.

Pioneer head unit, with an input jack on the front. $5.00 patch cord plugged into the front of the stereo, other end into the mp3 player = instant tunes.

pioneer-deh-p2900mp.487795.jpg

Green lights also match my dash perfectly...

I don't think they sell this model anymore, but I'm sure there is another one that replaced it.

I found an iPod interface on www.installer.com, it's an aux adapter that plugs in to the factory inputs. Should be getting it on wednesday. It was about $150, but should be worth every penny. Those FM transmitters/modulators or cassette tape adapters are worthless.

I would like to withdraw my previous statement. The interface on installer.com did not work with my explorer since it has the 6-disc changer in the head unit rather than the rear seat entertainment. I exchanged it for an Audiovox FMM-100, an FM modulator. The quality will work for me.

In regards to www.installer.com, i do NOT recommend ordering from them. The descriptions of their products are very ambiguous, and they do not offer refunds under ANY circumstance. However they do offer exchanges within 30 days. When i exchanged for a different item, i was assessed a 15% restocking fee on the previous items, and had to pay for my own shipping back to them. They have ridiculously high shipping fees, and their customer service over the phone was insulting. I talked to a technician and also the owner of the store, both were very short with me and were no help at all.

I would like to withdraw my previous statement. The interface on installer.com did not work with my explorer since it has the 6-disc changer in the head unit rather than the rear seat entertainment. I exchanged it for an Audiovox FMM-100, an FM modulator. The quality will work for me.

In regards to www.installer.com, i do NOT recommend ordering from them. The descriptions of their products are very ambiguous, and they do not offer refunds under ANY circumstance. However they do offer exchanges within 30 days. When i exchanged for a different item, i was assessed a 15% restocking fee on the previous items, and had to pay for my own shipping back to them. They have ridiculously high shipping fees, and their customer service over the phone was insulting. I talked to a technician and also the owner of the store, both were very short with me and were no help at all.

Thanks for the heads up, I have used a cassette adapter and for the most part the quailty is suitable, my current one has the gold finish coming off so it needs replacing. I have tried a few FM transmitters and the only one that was able to produce a decent enough signal is a 12V socket holder style but due to the unconvient location of my 12V sockets it is not an opition.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back