• Register Today It's free!

pull to the left when braking

tigercat

Reaction score
City, State
Perry, Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 sport
my trucks been pulling to the left when braking and it is hard to keep it in a straight line. could it be an allignment issue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds to me like you need an alignment. if you take your hands off the wheel does it start to turn on you?

If it only pulls left when braking, I would be looking at the driver's side brake caliper, and checking to see if it's seizing up.

It's a break problem for sure. If the shoes are good you could try bleeding them to see if it's a presure issue. I'd suspect the calipers are bad and need replaced. My chevy had the same problem and it was exactly as you describe it. This is a really unsafe condition that you should fix asap.

Pull the front wheels and check pad wear. If the left front is worn more than the right, reinstall the wheels and rotate the L/F wheel. If you can't turn it, it's a stuck caliper. If you can turn the wheel, have someone lightly step on the brake pedal while you rotate the R/F wheel. If you can't rotate the left, but can rotate the right, it's a problem with the R/F brake. Because of the pressures involved, calipers usually stick in the applied position.

Reppair accordingly. Rebuilt calipers aren't expensive. I paid $18 per at AutoZone.

..:scratch:..That was the price for just the rebuild kit alone, correct???

It was for the caliper ass'y. Now TBH, $36 rings a bell, but it was a while ago. Maybe I'm thinking $36 ea for a total of $72, but it's still cheap in my book. But I'm pretty sure it was $18 ea.

UPDATE
I just checked autozone.com. $15.99 ea, $11 core for a caliper assy, 4WD

...I just checked AZ..:eek:..They are now $16 each for the reman'd calipers...:D

...Btw, I think he is going to find that something on the right side is the problem...

i just replaced the rotors and pads a week ago

...More of a reason to re-bleed the system, and inspect your calipers and pads....

Pulling to the left

If it's pulling to the left when braking and calipers are not stuck.
You have a bad right side brake hose. The rubber hose that bolts on the caliper. They will swell when bad. Change both sides as putting a new one on the r. will put more pressure on left, which will then go bad too. TB3!!

Did the problem start after you replaced the rotors and pads?

yes and the left side caliper fell and hung on the brake line

I would more expect that to create a pull to the right. A damaged hose would have a weak spot that would expand when the brakes are applied. Feel along the hose with your fingers for a week spot. If you find one, replace it because that's just not right.

On the other hand, if the hose is crimped internally, it would cause the pressure not to be released when letting up on the pedal which would cause a pull to the left. If it were me, I'd replace both the left and right lines.

Back