• Register Today It's free!

Can 6x9's fit in the doors?

evo

Reaction score
City, State
Anderson, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS
I have a 2002 XLS with stock speakers in all 4 doors. I have a nice set of 6x9's that I saved from my last truck that I would like to put in. Has anybody ever modified the stock location rear door 6x8's to fit 6x9"s?
Thanks for any replies!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They make 6x8 to 6x9 adapters for just such an application.

Of course, you can also just trim the speaker hole edges if needed, and drill your own mounting holes, too...

I don't think the opening is the problem...

The biggest issue I found is that the depth of the speaker and the magnet... The front window guide is in the way of going more than 2.5-2.75 inches deep into the door face...

I too wanted to install a set of 6x9 speakers in the doors but settled on the original 6x8/5x7 style Kicker D680 and didn't need to add additional spacers to the one spacer already there...

I had looked at the 6x8 to 6x9 adapter and with the dimensions given for the product I felt it would space the speaker out of the door too far and the door panel would not fit over it and attach to the door... And no I didn't buy them to test the spacing...

Good luck with your project...

I have a feeling the back doors on your ex is simillar to the ones on the 2nd and 1st gens, and what I experienced is I scuffed up the bracket that holds the speaks in the back doors with sand paper and took epoxy and slopped it all over the speakers and bracket with the speaker just laying on the bracket and held great so went ahead with installation and found a problem with the way the door panel sat and had to cut a good bit of plastic out of the back side of the door panels, but then again aint sure on the 3rd gens door panels but now you know my experience with trying to make the wrong size speakers fit.

I just took the RR door panel off, looks like I am gonna have to jigsaw the speaker opening larger to make it fit. Just ran in to see which wires to connect, haven't figured that part out yet.
Gonna be ok for depth if I enlarge the hole towards the top- so it stays away from the window mechanicals. May lose the door panel clip location to the top left of the hole- not sure yet though.

had to cut short the install due to storms coming in, may have an issue with the depth of the 6"x9" being 3", and only having about 3" inside the door when the glass is down. Will have to do some more investigating another day before I start cutting the inside of the door.

Back